Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Promising Young Woman - I had high expectations for this going in to it, and it managed to live up to roughly none of them. There's just not much to the main story at all, and the ending feels unearned. I know this was very much a down year for movies, but that Best Picture nom, eeeesh, bad.

Nomadland - not a fan in the slightest. Just boring as hell. And Frances McDormand is vastly overrated. Not going to be an outright disaster of a Best Picture winner like Crash or Green Book, but certainly not good.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Then you don't know the definitions of camp or genre. People seem to most associate the term 'camp' with the 1966 Batman tv series. And because that series was goofy, they make the leap that 'camp' must mean 'goofy'. But there's more to it than that.
You're right. A man wearing leather straps and chaps, shooting a laser pistol, and galavanting around with a fabulous prostitute is definitely not gay.

fake

15 Year Member
Batman is camp IMO. Not just '66 but all of it. A rich 30-40-something single man with gaudy taste in costume hanging around with a boy in booty shorts, with an arch enemy being a man in makeup? Bruce Wayne likes dudes and likes to put on a show. Batman being gay makes him even cooler to me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Batman is camp IMO. Not just '66 but all of it. A rich 30-40-something single man with gaudy taste in costume hanging around with a boy in booty shorts, with an arch enemy being a man in makeup? Bruce Wayne likes dudes and likes to put on a show. Batman being gay makes him even cooler to me.

I changed my mind. Batman is camp. But mostly because of Robin.

fake

15 Year Member
I finished Justice League. I was working most of the time. I think that if JL had a better setup (through previous Batfleck / Superman movies), it could've been better. People were complaining about the characters lacking depth, and I agree, but I think that for this type of "team up and beat the world-ending challenge" movie, there isn't a lot of room for character development and whatnot. Also, for a four-hour movie, I was expecting more than a fetch quest / cube infinity stones.

3.5 / 10

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I finished Justice League. I was working most of the time. I think that if JL had a better setup (through previous Batfleck / Superman movies), it could've been better. People were complaining about the characters lacking depth, and I agree, but I think that for this type of "team up and beat the world-ending challenge" movie, there isn't a lot of room for character development and whatnot. Also, for a four-hour movie, I was expecting more than a fetch quest / cube infinity stones.

3.5 / 10

3.5 instead of zero because Batman says “fucking”

fake

15 Year Member
3.5 instead of zero because Batman says “fucking”
Pretty much. That was one of the only scenes when I closed my laptop to watch.

Edit: I really dislike Patrick Toutopolis' style. I'm surprised he keeps getting hired for production design / character design.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I watched Hudson Hawk, thinking that it might be funny in an ironic way, or that some millennial gymnastics have been done, for it to be lovable

Nope

0/10

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So I know why Snyder changed the aspect ratio on JL or at least his reasoning behind it but jesus what a stupid decision. The framing is all fucked up, there are simple A-B camera conversation shots that are totally fucked. Also the sound is jacked, it's super quiet and hollow sounding. I had to turn the volume from the usual 20-30 range up to 70+ just to hear dialogue. Snyder is so far up his own ass at this point it's laughable.

I knew when the villagers started serenading Aquaman it was gonna be beyond pretentious.

Got about halfway through and have no interest in finishing.

Rematched Blade Runner 2047- Absolutely stunning in 4K and aside from couple goofy scenes with Harrison Ford it's solid.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So I know why Snyder changed the aspect ratio on JL or at least his reasoning behind it but jesus what a stupid decision. The framing is all fucked up, there are simple A-B camera conversation shots that are totally fucked. Also the sound is jacked, it's super quiet and hollow sounding. I had to turn the volume from the usual 20-30 range up to 70+ just to hear dialogue. Snyder is so far up his own ass at this point it's laughable.

I knew when the villagers started serenading Aquaman it was gonna be beyond pretentious.

Got about halfway through and have no interest in finishing.

Rematched Blade Runner 2047- Absolutely stunning in 4K and aside from couple goofy scenes with Harrison Ford it's solid.

2049 is one movie I went 180 on after watching. It was great. Dennis really hit the bullseye with it. It made me ask questions not just about AI, but human consciousness, and how real or malleable it is. Before I watched it, I wrote it off as a likely turd. But it's no turd.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's great. I hadn't seen it since the theatrical release and enjoyed it then but was basically just taking in the aesthetics. Paying closer attention to it I really liked the idea of the Replicants wanting to reproduce, it added a much needed layer to their existence. Some of the simple things like RGs boss telling him he was doing fine without a soul went a long way.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Denis Villeneuve is the best director going right now. Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Enemy, Sicario, and Prisoners are all fantastic movies. Enemy is probably the weakest of the bunch and on the pretentious side as far as writing but the acting and directing are top notch. I haven't watched his French language stuff, though. But you'd be hard pressed to find another modern director with five straight films as good as the five English ones Denis has released.

Villeneuve is actually as good as Christopher Nolan thinks he is.

fake

15 Year Member
Agreed on the last three posts. First time I saw 2049 I was really bummed, but when I rewatched it I loved it.

It does seem like DV is the best out there at the moment. A lot of great directors have been pretty much MIA lately - Linklater, Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, etc. Let's see how Dune pans out.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Denis said Dune was always his dream project. He had loved the book since he was a kid and he said part of the reason he made Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 was to prepare him to make Dune.

I have absolute confidence it will be a great movie. Whether it will be a massive success like Arrival or a bomb like Blade Runner is anybody's guess, though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's great. I hadn't seen it since the theatrical release and enjoyed it then but was basically just taking in the aesthetics. Paying closer attention to it I really liked the idea of the Replicants wanting to reproduce, it added a much needed layer to their existence. Some of the simple things like RGs boss telling him he was doing fine without a soul went a long way.

my favorite scene is when K sees Deckard’s dog, he asks him if it’s real. Deckard responds “ask him.”

Deckard having a pet plays off the first movie where he spends extra time checking out the snake and the owl. In Androids he’s saving up to buy a pet animal. Makes me feel Dennis isn’t just grabbing cash, but he’s a fan of the works he’s basing off.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Godzilla vs Kong

If you enjoy the films so far then you'll enjoy it.

It's a cheesy Godzilla film and there's a suspension of beliefs anyways.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Could you imagine what would have happened if Ridley was the one that made the Blade Runner sequel? Based on what's he's done with Alien, it's a good thing he wasn't attached to it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Could you imagine what would have happened if Ridley was the one that made the Blade Runner sequel? Based on what's he's done with Alien, it's a good thing he wasn't attached to it.
He shouldn't even have been allowed to recut the first film half a dozen times. Story makes more sense and hits more emotional beats if Deckard isn't a replicant.