Best Nintendo Console

Best Nintendo Console

• Total voters

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What's funny is that post is a completely sheltered point of view…and you're calling me the douche…lol.

Not looking for sympathy (unlike Smokehouse usually does), but my dad died from cancer when I was 15 and I had been working ever since. Landscaping, winter clean-ups, baby-sitting (yeah), college-pro painters, college library, college cafeteria, internships, account temps. Also, did a year at one college. Hated it. Dropped out. Worked full-time for a year before going back to a different school. All before age 20.

So yeah, maybe in your world only mom and dad could buy you stuff - that's cool, not gonna judge you or your parents because you know (or at least now you should), it's foolish to jump to rash conclusions and judge people…but whatever.
Aside from everything else going on in this thread, which I will continue to enjoy, I want to take a second and retract what I said about you.

Less is more.

The PS1 has what, 1500 games for it? 90% of those are utter shit. What great variety right? N64 may have a bit under 300 games, but at least it's not nearly piled high with as much crap.
I'm guessing you are not a math major. 295 shit games out of 300 total is 98.333%, doofus.

And even by your comically exaggerated estimation of the PSX library, 90% crap out of 1,500 games still leaves you 150 good games. Not even the most delusional, drooling, brain-dead N64 die-hard would ever for one instant try to pretend there were anywhere close to 150 halfway decent N64 games.

You know what happens when people download entire ROM sets and put them on flash carts? 99% of the ROMs go unplayed. Unlimited variety is a shitty thing, all it does is cause indecisiveness. It's the netflix effect, where you usually spend your time flipping through menus, then you go do something else because there's nothing to watch/play.
There's a big difference between too much variety, and NO variety.

Imagine Netflix with entire genres missing. No drama movies. No horror. No comedies. Except maybe a couple poorly-made straight-to-cable tv movies by hacky directors and no-name studios you never heard of. Imagine that the only category this Netflix put any effort into whatsoever was the little children's category. That's N64. No decent shooters, no decent racers, no decent fighters, etc., etc., etc.

I love that the new tactic for the N64 fan is to try to convince people that having a choice of games is actually a bad thing. You guys are like the scientologists of the video game world.

If it's only 10 games, then that's fine. Great games can stay fresh for months at a time.
And for kids who only had N64, the games HAD to stay fresh for months at a time. Whether they were actually ever fresh or not. Like chewing on a single piece of beef jerky for 3 days straight because you wandered off the wilderness trail and the rangers haven't found you yet.

To your point, here is a fact: The NES sold more than the SNES. That's quantifiable. Yet you voted the SNES as the best. That goes against your logic. Or did you mean something quantifiable that supports your subjective opinion?
We're not voting for best sales. That's not a poll; that's an internet search, you boob.

I said the question is subjective to a point, but you have to be able to rationalize it beyond having warm memories of your shitty, deprived childhood. If you're calling something the best, you should have a reason, whether that's best library of games, highest quality of games, best accomplished what it set out to do, it's game-changing positive effect on the rest of the industry, SOMETHING. N64 has none of those things. You can't even pretend it does. But who knows? You can pretend Mario Kart 64 isn't the biggest turd of the series, so maybe your delusion knows no bounds.

As I have said before, you could at least construct an argument for pretty much ANY other Nintendo console. NES, SNES, GameCube, Wii, WiiU. Any one of those consoles, you could at least present a case. Not for the N64 debacle. Because there is no basis for a case, in a case of a console without games.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I said the question is subjective to a point, but you have to be able to rationalize it beyond having warm memories of your shitty, deprived childhood. If you're calling something the best, you should have a reason, whether that's best library of games, highest quality of games, best accomplished what it set out to do, it's game-changing positive effect on the rest of the industry, SOMETHING. N64 has none of those things. You can't even pretend it does. But who knows? You can pretend Mario Kart 64 isn't the biggest turd of the series, so maybe your delusion knows no bounds.
You really love to make up stories about peoples' lives. That worked really well on neo_moe, right? It's unfortunate that your main debating skill is assuming things that you have no idea about. Also, once again, quote me where I said N64 was the best Nintendo console. Was it the same place where I talked about Fighter Destiny 2 being a great fighting game?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Why are you so butthurt that people actually enjoy the N64, Southtownkid? :lolz:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Why are you so butthurt that people actually enjoy the N64, Southtownkid? :lolz:
For the one millionth time, this isn't about enjoying. It's about BEST.

To make myself perfectly clear, because some people don't have the greatest reading comprehension, apparently: In my opinion, Mario 64 remains the best 3D platformer ever created. And for my money, Ocarina of Time IS the best installment of the Zelda series, even better than LttP. But that is only two games in just two genres. You can't say the console as a whole is the best Nintendo ever created when entire vital genres of games are missing from it.

quote me where I said N64 was the best Nintendo console.
Then why are you arguing, numb-sack? If you agree that N64 in no way is in the running to be Nintendo's best console, then stop making such an ass of yourself.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
For the one millionth time, this isn't about enjoying. It's about BEST.

To make myself perfectly clear, because some people don't have the greatest reading comprehension, apparently: In my opinion, Mario 64 remains the best 3D platformer ever created. And for my money, Ocarina of Time IS the best installment of the Zelda series, even better than LttP. But that is only two games in just two genres. You can't say the console as a whole is the best Nintendo ever created when entire vital genres of games are missing from it.

I would prob. put N64 at 3rd or 4th, mostly since I prefer LttP and SMW (And Cronotrigger is one of my fav. games of all time)

But I can see someone putting N64 as #1 if:
1. They don't like 2D games, which take SNES and NES off the list.
2. They only buy Nintendo consoles for Mario and/or Zelda. OR The only Nintendo games they liked were Ocarina of Time and Mario 64.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
"Best" is also subjective.

Wii u could be the "Best" being that it has the most advanced hardware.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Then why are you arguing, numb-sack? If you agree that N64 in no way is in the running to be Nintendo's best console, then stop making such an ass of yourself.
I'm not arguing that the N64 is the best Nintendo console. I never have. Making an ass of myself? You've already made an ass of yourself with your fantasy stories about people's childhoods.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
In a thread about the best console, wouldn't having a couple of the best games qualify it as in the discussion?

Who criticizes a console for missing entire genres on a Neo Geo forum?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
ok ok everyone enough.

Smokehouse I like you man, I'm just giving you a hard time :) Um, I was born in 79 so what did that make me in 96? I dunno, like 17 or 18. It's 2:00 am here and I am working on a school project and need to get ready for work in 4 hours. I can't do the math…

And STK, you don't need to retract anything, I don't want you to do that. You're cool, don't change.

There is no end to this conversation. There never will be. I liked/still like the N64 - but if I didn't say it already, the NES is my pick for this thread.

But anyway, let's all just agree on 1 thing - that Metal Gear Solid is the greatest game ever made and therefore any system it is available on is inherently the best system...

Not even Norton can dispute that.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would prob. put N64 at 3rd or 4th, mostly since I prefer LttP and SMW (And Cronotrigger is one of my fav. games of all time)

But I can see someone putting N64 as #1 if:
1. They don't like 2D games, which take SNES and NES off the list.
Except, if they DO like 3D games, that should take N64 off the list, since it did that so poorly.

2. They only buy Nintendo consoles for Mario and/or Zelda. OR The only Nintendo games they liked were Ocarina of Time and Mario 64.
That doesn't make it the best. It makes it the one they liked most. Do you really not understand the difference?

"Best" is also subjective.

Wii u could be the "Best" being that it has the most advanced hardware.
I've agreed the question is partially subjective, and I've agreed a case could be made for WiiU. "Most advanced hardware" would at least be a basis for an argument. What would be the possible basis for an argument for N64? Most advanced what? Best what?

There's no word you can slot into any question like that makes sense.

In a thread about the best console, wouldn't having a couple of the best games qualify it as in the discussion?
Having great games was not a new phenomenon for Nintendo. Having only two of them over an entire generation was.

Anyone with a brain.

Whenever we discuss best console of all-time overall, how many times has Neo-Geo won? ZERO TIMES, despite the fact we all love it. The majority of us possess enough objectivity to realize that the Neo's lack of diversity disqualifies it from being the best console ever made.

Could it be the console you've enjoyed more than any other? Yes. But that's not the discussion.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

A lot of people obviously. Even I have to agree to some extent that the N64 is nowhere near the best console because some of the genre of games I wanted to play simply didn't exist on the N64. The Super Nintendo to me simply was the best because it had all the types of games I wanted to play in one system and it did it well.

When Nintendo went straight up 3D with a cartridge based media when everyone else was already into CD based tech it really made a lot of 3rd party devs jump ship. The format was too limited compared to what we were able to obtain at the time.

The Gamecube while I love the system so much suffered from the same bullshit with their media because Nintendo is being Nintendo had made the discs smaller and thus was unable to hold as much data as a normal sized CD. I hate beating on Nintendo's bad choices but it's just there.

The only thing this thread has made me roll my eyes how saying the N64 was the worst system from them yet I've seen 0 mention of the Virtual Boy. :eek_2:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The only thing this thread has made me roll my eyes how saying the N64 was the worst system from them yet I've seen 0 mention of the Virtual Boy. :eek_2:

I think most of us consider consoles and handhelds as separate categories, despite the poll combining them, and I think most consider Virtual Boy to be closer to the handheld side of things than the console side.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
While I'm risking being flamed off the forums for saying this: I actually like the Virtual Boy waaaaay more than the N64. Totally personal opinion on this one, but I've always hated the N64, and the Virtual Boy has a larger amount of games I'd much rather be playing than anything on the N64.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I had a lot of fun with the Virtual Boy with a few titles, DZ had the console and some games, I end up buying a few more games way back for like 2 or 3 bucks a piece. I played all the popular ones and had a great time, I played it laying down like most of us apparently, lol...and it was a great experience, I cannot deny it. Telero Boxer comes to mind the most, I spent a lot of time on that one, excellent game.

I had a lot of fun with the N64, I let my GF at the time borrow my SNES and her cousin let us borrow her N64 with Mario Kart, Mario64 and Wave Race, those 3 games got so much play, I loved it, I could chase that dolphin like a retard for hours, I was in love with the game. I liked Mario64 a lot, I felt athough it was always safe, even while in peril you could always escape or find a safe spot, fear of death becomes much more present in the later part of the game but for the most part life is good and I prefer action 24/7. Some of the platforming was awesome, in that sense it's leaps and bounds over a lot of 3D platformers to this day. Later I got KIGold and while it looked awful it played well, that was good enough for me as the SNES KI was also another fugly port that played very well. Then Came F-Zero X, holy shit! The game is awesome, best F-Zero and I'm a huge fan of the first one. I still remember the sensation of speed the first time playing it, nothing will ever top that for me, that was like virgin eyes in terms of video game speed, Rad Racer was great and I loved it, played the shit out of it as well as Top Gear but F-Zero, Oh man, that was it.

I had lots of good times with Game & Watch, Parachute and Popeye Tabletop, those were the days. I'll always have a soft spot for Game & Watch and since we're here I highly recommend the Game & Watch collections on DS and DSiWare releases, they are spot on and playing them on the DSi it's actually really nice, even better is playing the carts on the 1st DS, the screen is prefect to recreate that legit LCD screen feel. Also there's this website http://www.pica-pic.com/, enjoy!

I love my SNES, I played one since the 8th grade and was hooked bad on Super Mario World, F-Zero, Super Punch-Out!!, Super Metroid, ALTTP, all the usual stuff, of course SF2 and WH, all that stuff. When I came to the US empty handed on video games in 1995, first system I went and got once I settled was a SNES along with Knights of the Round Table and SF2. The rest is everyone's same old story, played all the great titles, mostly arcade ports or arcade oriented.

I love my NES most of all because of the experience, you can never, ever, recreate that again. Playing ATARI was one thing, it was fun, arcades were fun, game & watch was fun but when NES came into the picture and I played SMB for the first time all those years ago, oh, you're world just got turned upside down, that was a phenomenal feeling. To this day one of my favorite games of all time and a freaking hell of a template as Pac-Man and Space Invaders were for games to come. The rest of the games I played at first were 1st party so I did get to enjoy Urban Champion against my brother before the 90's, we had the most grueling Pro-Wrestling matches, salty to the max. Soccer, Ice Hockey, we were 1st party fiends, coming from ATARI these games were amazing in comparison, they played very well, specially Ice Hockey. Well as more games came along we basically played the greatest hits just like most people from that era. Ninja Gaiden was a life changer for me, the culprit of the system, all those lesson learned through all the games before were meant to converge for taking the role as the peregrine falcon.

As for handhelds, oh man, all of them have been gold so no complaints from me. My only problem was when Gameboy Color came into the picture, I felt the games weren't as polished as GB games but I think is due to lighting, it made the games more visible but they did look more rudimentary. Take for instance, Bionic Commando GB, excellent recreation of the NES port and then BC Elite Forces GBC which is just so lanky looking put it plays pretty well. I guess is a hit and miss with the GBC in terms of graphics but there's a lot of fun titles in both versions. DS was awesome, so many excellent titles, 3DS is also amazing and I've always loved the quality of the GBASP, DS, DSiXL,3DSXL, d-pads and buttons, the microswitches used in them are phenomenal and always wished console controllers could replicate that, I just don't get it but the XBOne is getting close...anyway, yeah I love the handhelds.

I don't consider myself a Nintendo fanboy, I've just been there like most of us during the time and enjoyed some titles. Out of all the systems I pick the NES because I feel more attached to it, I can play the games like a I used to if I apply myself, I love the controls, I made a stick for it, there's this sense of urgency to gameplay over anything else with my favorite games, I would always go back to Batman Sunsoft City, Ninja Gaiden series, Castlevania the most and all of these games are prolly in my favorites of all time so it's no wonder I pick this system as the be all end all console.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Waverace was amazing. When the 3DS was announcing N64 ports like Star Fox and OoT I was always hoping the'y also do a remake of Waverace for the 3DS…

Couple of great N64 I didn't see mentioned yet were Pilotwings and ExciteBike 64. I had a love/hate relationship with Pilotwings on the SNES but the N64 version was just pure bliss. And ExciteBike 64 was awesome too. ExciteBike was one of my favorite original NES games (still play the classic series all the time on the GBA) and the N64 just nailed the feel perfectly while making it look beautiful. And the blurry/vaseline graphics…maybe my friends and I were not as discriminating back then…but none of us were complaining about blur back when these games were coming out. They just played so well and were too much fun, it never bothered me. Still doesn't.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Same here, I never played N64 and thought...OMG could this look any better?! It wasn't until emulation that I saw how nice the N64 could look but does it make the games 100 better? No, the games are already good, upgrade in graphics is just a bonus from that point.

Edit: I have to add to my previous posts that I did enjoy the Gamecube, just have a few titles and I have no complaints other than the controller is only meant for certain games. I actually love the Wii and WiiU, they're both great systems, great controls, if you stick to the good stuff both systems are excellent. I like that the controllers got better, the whole motion control, dual screen and all that stuff is ok for a handful of games, I prefer just traditional gaming but it's nice to have options to play something different.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
And the blurry/vaseline graphics?aybe my friends and I were not as discriminating back then?ut none of us were complaining about blur back when these games were coming out. They just played so well and were too much fun, it never bothered me. Still doesn't.

I did. The graphics and sound immediately bothered me. 10min with the blurry graphics and canned tunes of Mario 64 and I knew I made a mistake buying the thing.

Again, I was a Nintendo fanboy back then, I even bought a N64 on launch. One week of having the thing and I returned it, bought a PS1.

See...whenever this topic comes up, the N64 fans bring up the same games. Games that are often of the "filler" variety. Some games are main titles, others are filler for in between gaming. Waverace? Blastcorps? How about Wipeout, Jet Moto, Need For Speed, Twisted Metal, PaRappa the Rapper...they were equally as good when it comes to fluff filler games (and that was just a few that came to mind).

The issue with the N64 was the main titles (actually, the lack thereof). It had a few, Mario 64, the two Zelda titles, Mario RPG (a masterpiece to this day)...but that was about it. It had the "Mario" games; Kart, Tennis, Golf, Party...and they were all super fun (and the reason why I even had that console when I again picked one up in '99)...but those are not the greats that stick out in your mind, those are filler.

If I wasn't having guests over, my N64 lived in a closet while I beat the living shit out of my PS1 and it's expansive library of titles covering damn near ever genera you can think of.

It wasn't that the N64 didn't have a few good titles...it was the fact that the PS1 literally blew it out of the water in terms of diversity and library size. Any type of game, name it, the PS1 had it. If you wanted the best/most games in the mid 90's, you were a fool to rely on the N64.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think people that hate on the console are really doing it a disservice when they say something like the system had only 3 good games. The system has 2-3 games that I would consider in a best of all time list. And several more that are really good and up there in best of their genre. And plenty more that are just solid titles. Yes it's missing some genres, but short comings aside the system still ended up being really good.

For best Nintendo console, I really could see the case being made for each one of the systems except for VB. Even both Wii U and Wii can have a case made for it. I am leaning towards GC myself since they had more great titles than the N64 had. And this time around the system did get a more well rounded library than the N64. The biggest blunder with that system was probably going with the design. If the N64 was looked at as a kid console, then the GC really cemented Nintendo as a kiddie console. Though to bee honest, Nintendo has always tried to appeal to the widest audience ever since the NES days. This whole nintendo is for kids is a pretty tiresome argument. Reminds me of the current crop of 12 year old kids that rather play games like COD because they prefer more mature titles.

Anyways there are only three people that chose the N64 as the best Nintendo system. The rest of us were just defending the system from the usual hate that it gets around here. I even said that the N64 wasn't their best system and I wouldn't vote for it despite my personal preference i have towards it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think people that hate on the console are really doing it a disservice when they say something like the system had only 3 good games. The system has 2-3 games that I would consider in a best of all time list. And several more that are really good and up there in best of their genre. And plenty more that are just solid titles. Yes it's missing some genres, but short comings aside the system still ended up being really good.

For best Nintendo console, I really could see the case being made for each one of the systems except for VB. Even both Wii U and Wii can have a case made for it. I am leaning towards GC myself since they had more great titles than the N64 had. And this time around the system did get a more well rounded library than the N64. The biggest blunder with that system was probably going with the design. If the N64 was looked at as a kid console, then the GC really cemented Nintendo as a kiddie console. Though to bee honest, Nintendo has always tried to appeal to the widest audience ever since the NES days. This whole nintendo is for kids is a pretty tiresome argument. Reminds me of the current crop of 12 year old kids that rather play games like COD because they prefer more mature titles.

Anyways there are only three people that chose the N64 as the best Nintendo system. The rest of us were just defending the system from the usual hate that it gets around here. I even said that the N64 wasn't their best system and I wouldn't vote for it despite my personal preference i have towards it.

Hating on the N64 is a hobby of mine...

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
The only Nintendo console I believe is worth having is SNES /SFC and maybe the Gaycube just for the GBA player.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

You said yourself that you have little experience with the NES and SNES.

Your reference point is lame and obscured.

Last edited:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
objectively the snes or perhaps nes but for me personally n64 because it was my first and probably most played nintendo console it was my childhood

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The only Nintendo console I believe is worth having is SNES /SFC and maybe the Gaycube just for the GBA player.

Call it gay all you want but being able to play Gameboy games via component cables is godly.