Best Nintendo Console

Best Nintendo Console

• Total voters

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Suffering from a console? I picture little SouthtownKid sitting in his bedroom in the 90s hugging his N64 and crying. No wonder he hates the N64 so much, it brought him so much pain and suffering. What a dipshit.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Love em all for different experiences and titles but the SNES was the first console I modded and could play imports on that was special to me in 91, being able to play all those anime IPs and JPN exclusives as a kid was fantastic feeling.

Wii also kool for soft modding

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Suffering from a console? I picture little SouthtownKid sitting in his bedroom in the 90s hugging his N64 and crying. No wonder he hates the N64 so much, it brought him so much pain and suffering. What a dipshit.

He probably owned a Saturn, and got bullied by the Playstation and N64 owners.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
If you look at the long game, I can see how it would be perceived that Nintendo fans have suffered. nintendo used to have a more diverse library of IPs that they'd pull from. Part of the problem about being on the defense is that you need to keep going to your same few money making properties to lock in a certain amount of 'guaranteed sales'; you can take more risks when you are the dominant option and try new IP, new ways to bring people in. Losing as much ground as they have over the years has meant relying on the same few mascots, running the risk of franchise burnout. This is why it is so important to have third parties; give people variety and take some of the pressure off of your own IP and devs.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You know something, for all the shit people give Troy for his polls, they've really sparked alot of great conversations/debates. Carry in Troy.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I feel like we're overdue for a new Star Tropics.

Yes, 1000%. Mike was my vote in the Smash Bros. poll. I still remember when my Mom, Dad and I poured water on the map...that whole game/experience really felt like an adventure.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Have you considered the possibility that you were never part of Nintendo's market demographic? How many Nintendo-made games did you love on NES and SNES? Or are you another one of those third party-only guys? Lest we forget that the NES and SNES were the market leaders of their times, so they obviously had all the third party developers on board. They moved on to PlayStation and Xbox after Nintendo lost the lead.

If you haven't enjoyed a single Nintendo console since the N64, I think you need to come to terms with the fact that you never loved Nintendo at all.

This is a shitty post, sorry.

Things change, we do, Nintendo did. Nintendo is like a band...fairly safe but solid at first, then they start getting expiremetal. Some albums are amazing, some are complete unlistenable shit. To say "I can't stand X album" doesn't mean that you hate the others.

Nintendo seems to either hit a home run, or strike out horribly. The N64 is a sad expirement that cost them big time. If you (or others) like the thing, good for you. For the rest of us to call it a monumental failure when compared to the successes that the NES and SNES were, the facts are there, the numbers are there, the historical proof is there. The N64 was Nintendo's largest fuck up...one they're still paying for to this day.

You feel betrayed by what? The fact that they brought platformers into the 3D era?

The N64 basically took everything SNES owners loved and flushed it down the drain. "You love this steak? Well, here's some chicken. Don't like it? Tough shit."

They either completely changed, or dumped damn near every hit title the SNES had. They also lost huge outside developers to Sony. If you wanted the biggest and most important games of the mid 90's...90% or better wouldn't be found on the N64. The move to 3D wasn't the point, the move to "nothing but 3D" was the issue. That and the shit controller and dumbshit move to stick with carts.

If you were a vapid enough gamer that shit like Waverace, Goldeneye, or other mindless N64 shit was good for you...congrats. The rest of us moved on to bigger things.

To this day...if all you owned was Nintendo consoles, you would have missed out on almost every gaming masterpiece to have come out in the past 2 decades since the release of that abomination. You know, the best titles that aren't in house Nintendo titles...

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I really don't have an opinion on this. I enjoy things about every console. I definitely play more Gamecube than any other Nintendo console, but looking at this N64 and the argument that they abandoned their fans. I think it's important to remember:

NES outsold Master System - 62mil to 13mil
SNES outsold GENESIS - 49mil to 29mil

Seeing as the same numbers were sold - a significant decrease for Nintendo, a significant increase for Sega. It wouldn't have been logical to follow the same format with their next console. A SNES 2 or similar; which in hindsight we may have loved, would not have made sense in that climate.

The wildcard here was Sony - the original playstation sold over 100 million units. The PS1 came out in 1994 - while SNES games were still being made. PS1 releases were outselling SNES releases almost immediately.

So, you SEGA closing the gap. You have upstart SONY coming out disc based and selling well. Given all that; a lot of the choices Nintendo made; made sense. While N64 is now considered mostly a failure - it still outsold the SATURN.

N64 33 million to SAT 17 million

This isn't to say it's the best system ever, but it should explain some of the choices they made given that climate at the time.

I can't believe I made a post this long in this thread. DZ is right; kudos to Troy, I guess.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I really don't have an opinion on this. I enjoy things about every console. I definitely play more Gamecube than any other Nintendo console, but looking at this N64 and the argument that they abandoned their fans. I think it's important to remember:

NES outsold Master System - 62mil to 13mil
SNES outsold GENESIS - 49mil to 29mil

Seeing as the same numbers were sold - a significant decrease for Nintendo, a significant increase for Sega. It wouldn't have been logical to follow the same format with their next console. A SNES 2 or similar; which in hindsight we may have loved, would not have made sense in that climate.
Nobody is asking for SNES 2. What we wanted is a Nintendo 64 that didn't suck. While there are many complaints about the N64... the only one that really kills it is the lack of library. Popular genres either completely unrepresented, or only slightly represented by third-rate developers. That's why we have madman trying to convince people that a chunk of shit like Fighters Destiny is one of the greatest of all-time. :rolleyes:

And the loss of that variety and depth of library is 100% Nintendo's fault. Poor choices, pride, greed, whatever. You have to be an idiot to suggest N64 is Nintendo's best console when the games weren't there. Literally any other choice makes more sense. Someone could at least make a viable argument for GC or WiiU. But what use is a game console without games?

He probably owned a Saturn, and got bullied by the Playstation and N64 owners.
Nope, I had Playstation and N64. One, which I had 100 great titles for, and one which was basically a doorstop that played 2 worthwhile games.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
People may hate the 64 but...

Mario 64 - amazing...no amazing
Mario Kart 64 - hands down best kart game ever
Starfox 64 w rumble pak Fuking Fantastic
Ocarina - Epic
Majora's- Dope
WWF 2000 -played for years and I Never watched WWE or WCW
and a few arguable others

64 worth my price of entry, yes it had no fantastic fighters but had a Modded Saturn for the imports and Capcom/SNK "arcade perfect" ports.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Nobody is asking for SNES 2. What we wanted is a Nintendo 64 that didn't suck. While there are many complaints about the N64... the only one that really kills it is the lack of library. Popular genres either completely unrepresented, or only slightly represented by third-rate developers. That's why we have madman trying to convince people that a chunk of shit like Fighters Destiny is one of the greatest of all-time. :rolleyes:

And the loss of that variety and depth of library is 100% Nintendo's fault. Poor choices, pride, greed, whatever. You have to be an idiot to suggest N64 is Nintendo's best console when the games weren't there. Literally any other choice makes more sense. Someone could at least make a viable argument for GC or WiiU. But what use is a game console without games?

Nope, I had Playstation and N64. One, which I had 100 great titles for, and one which was basically a doorstop that played 2 worthwhile games.

The problem is you lack of respect for what is essentially a subjective argument.

A person whose favorite games are Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time might vote N64.

Someone who enjoys FPS games might vote N64 because its the only Nintendo console that had really good FPS games for its time.

Now folks that like fighting games or shooters, or RPGs would probably view the N64 as the point where Nintendo and their paths part; which is OK.

Its ok that you don't like N64, but seriously chill the fuck out.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
100 great titles for

God who would want 100 games for any one system?

I'd much rather have like the 10 awesome PSX, 10 awesome saturn and 5 awesome N64 games and I guarantee you I wouldn't be missing much on any of those consoles. And would have cost a lot less than 100 PSX games.

Even as a teenager that was a logical decision for me. You want true variety, get multiple consoles. It's not brain surgery people...

Now, I have maybe 30 games total between my PS4, Xbone and Wii U and I still can't keep up with playing through them all. Who has time for that?

Last edited:

madman

That's why we have madman trying to convince people that a chunk of shit like Fighters Destiny is one of the greatest of all-time. :rolleyes:
I never said that. Once again, you're talking out your ass. Must be a side effect from all the suffering you did over a video game console.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The problem is you lack of respect for what is essentially a subjective argument.

A person whose favorite games are Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time might vote N64.

Someone who enjoys FPS games might vote N64 because its the only Nintendo console that had really good FPS games for its time..
You're an idiot. The poll is "best," not "favorite." I've already said it's perfectly fine if someone's taste makes N64 their favorite. But calling it the best is just moronic.

And it's only a subjective argument to a point. Some things in life are quantifiable. You can't just cry "Subjective argument" every time you find yourself with all facts stacked against you.

I never said that.
Whoops, my mistake, sorry. I combined you with greedostick. He's the one who said that. So much stupidity in this thread that you pro-N64 masochists start to blend together.

Oh, yeah, what a burden to have so many great games on a console.

I'd much rather have like the 10 awesome PSX, 10 awesome saturn and 5 awesome N64 games
Yeah, I would have loved to have had 5 awesome N64 games, too. Too bad that didn't happen.

Meanwhile, good luck limiting yourself to 10 on PSX or 10 on Saturn. You really missed a lot.

Even as a teenager that was a logical decision for me. You want true variety, get multiple consoles.
It seemed like the logical decision because the decision was taken out of your hands, and you were too young to know any other world. Before that generation, you could get the same "true variety" in a single console.

And I love the idea of you, as a teenager, coming to that "logical decision" with your parents' money. What a douchebag. "Yeah, mom and dad, it's only logical that you spend an extra $700 ($300 launch price for PSX, $400 launch price for Saturn) for two additional consoles to play games that mostly should have all been playable on the console you were already generous enough to buy my ungrateful, entitled ass." Because what's $700, right? That's just wipe your ass/light your cigar money. Yeah, you're a logical thinker all right. You better hope you find someone sensible to marry who can handle your finances and can veto your logical decisions.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Someone who wants every roster available on their sports games.

You're an idiot. The poll is "best," not "favorite." I've already said it's perfectly fine if someone's taste makes N64 their favorite. But calling it the best is just moronic.

And it's only a subjective argument to a point. Some things in life are quantifiable. You can't just cry "Subjective argument" every time you find yourself with all facts stacked against you.

o.0 Its a forum thread dipshit, that would make best subjective, since each person has their own ideas as to what makes something "best". You can just lookup wikipedia if you're just looking at units shipped or game sales. The numbers might be objective, but the context of their use is a subjective argument. You're just a prejudiced philosopher. So I'll ask you this: "What if N64 was a woman, what then?"

madman

To your point, here is a fact: The NES sold more than the SNES. That's quantifiable. Yet you voted the SNES as the best. That goes against your logic. Or did you mean something quantifiable that supports your subjective opinion?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

Of the different groups I knew as a teenager, we had a very different experience than yours. Some guys had some PSX games they liked, but it was trumped by playing the N64 together. Guys. . . girls. . . younger, older. We all played it together. I remember when the PS2 was coming out, several friends were floored that it didn't support 4 players out of the box. At that point, it seemed inevitable that every console made henceforth would have 4 player support. I don't see how a console with that sort of impact on experience and expectations could be so bad. It was a game-changer, so to speak.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Less is more.

The PS1 has what, 1500 games for it? 90% of those are utter shit. What great variety right? N64 may have a bit under 300 games, but at least it's not nearly piled high with as much crap.

You know what happens when people download entire ROM sets and put them on flash carts? 99% of the ROMs go unplayed. Unlimited variety is a shitty thing, all it does is cause indecisiveness. It's the netflix effect, where you usually spend your time flipping through menus, then you go do something else because there's nothing to watch/play.

100 great PSX games? I guarantee most will go unplayed. Bloodycelt has it right, pick out just your absolute favorites. If it's only 10 games, then that's fine. Great games can stay fresh for months at a time.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
And I love the idea of you, as a teenager, coming to that "logical decision" with your parents' money. What a douchebag. "Yeah, mom and dad, it's only logical that you spend an extra $700 ($300 launch price for PSX, $400 launch price for Saturn) for two additional consoles to play games that mostly should have all been playable on the console you were already generous enough to buy my ungrateful, entitled ass." Because what's $700, right? That's just wipe your ass/light your cigar money. Yeah, you're a logical thinker all right. You better hope you find someone sensible to marry who can handle your finances and can veto your logical decisions.

What's funny is that post is a completely sheltered point of view…and you're calling me the douche…lol.

Not looking for sympathy (unlike Smokehouse usually does), but my dad died from cancer when I was 15 and I had been working ever since. Landscaping, winter clean-ups, baby-sitting (yeah), college-pro painters, college library, college cafeteria, internships, account temps. Also, did a year at one college. Hated it. Dropped out. Worked full-time for a year before going back to a different school. All before age 20.

So yeah, maybe in your world only mom and dad could buy you stuff - that's cool, not gonna judge you or your parents because you know (or at least now you should), it's foolish to jump to rash conclusions and judge people…but whatever.

My only question is - why so much anger and resentment?
It's weird...
Like, Smokehouse weird….

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What's funny is that post is a completely sheltered point of view…and you're calling me the douche…lol.

Not looking for sympathy (unlike Smokehouse usually does), but my dad died from cancer when I was 15 and I had been working ever since. Landscaping, winter clean-ups, baby-sitting (yeah), college-pro painters, college library, college cafeteria, internships, account temps. Also, did a year at one college. Hated it. Dropped out. Worked full-time for a year before going back to a different school. All before age 20.

So yeah, maybe in your world only mom and dad could buy you stuff - that's cool, not gonna judge you or your parents because you know (or at least now you should), it's foolish to jump to rash conclusions and judge people…but whatever.

It's weird...
Like, Smokehouse weird….

Now-now, brown-cow…who's looking for sympathy on an internet forum? Understanding? yeah, maybe. Sympathy?…please.

I've found this…how old were you when the N64 came out…that seems to be the main point with this. Younger gamers love the thing, older gamers often don't. I know plenty of guys (now adults) that were kids back then…they love the fucking thing to this day.

So…Sept 1996…how old were you guys?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

It's weird...
Like, Smokehouse weird….

:( Man... I wouldn't consider my own upbringing "sheltered" , though certainly more than yours. My parents divorced, and both my mom/stepfather and dad struggled to make ends meet. But, growing up we had NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, Saturn, N64 all from christmas gifts (or in the case of the Saturn, a get well present when recovering from wisdom teeth surgery). None of these systems were gotten on launch day. The Saturn was actually bought at a consignment shop for $30.

The first launch day system was a Dreamcast, I worked the entire summer for it. Its why I love that system so much, its the first one I bought with my own money. The only other system I've gotten launch day was the WiiU, go figure.

Now-now, brown-cow…who's looking for sympathy on an internet forum? Understanding? yeah, maybe. Sympathy?…please.

I've found this…how old were you when the N64 came out…that seems to be the main point with this. Younger gamers love the thing, older gamers often don't. I know plenty of guys (now adults) that were kids back then…they love the fucking thing to this day.

So…Sept 1996…how old were you guys?

I would have been 14. Don't get me wrong I prefer SNES over N64, but I'm still fond of the N64.

Last edited: