Best Nintendo Console

Best Nintendo Console

• Total voters

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
And the Gamecube Controller was boss as fuck. Still one of the most comfortable gamepads I've ever used.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
ok ok everyone enough....

......But anyway, let's all just agree on 1 thing - that Metal Gear Solid is the greatest game ever made and therefore any system it is available on is inherently the best system...

Not even Norton can dispute that.

Greatest closing argument LOL
*applause*

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Wavebird was the first proper wireless controller.

+1 to that. GC wasn't my favorite system by any means, but that wireless controller was better than anything out for the PS2 or XB at the time.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
The Panasonic Q is up there with the sexiest looking systems ever. I still have my power button region modded one from NCSX from like 12 years ago.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The only Nintendo console I believe is worth having is SNES /SFC and maybe the Gaycube just for the GBA player.

Of all the bullshit in this thread, this stupid and ignorant comment in particular irritates me.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so, can't you mod the Wii to run GBA roms?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This thread shows two obvious things. First being, that handhelds & consoles are two separated matters. Otherwise Game Boy's significance wouldn't be so disregarded. It marked the first opening of the "kiddie" video game world to adults, long before Sony did, and cemented Bi N's #1 fame world wide and undisputedly.

The second thing is, that when the NES was released ('83/'85) most members where 4-6 years old and, if any, too young to play it, as extensively as the SNES, which was released when they were 9 or 11, an age where you could afford such an expensive present from your parents, while being able to skillfully enjoy it for the first time, too. So it's in large parts a question of demographics, that lead to this poll's outcome. If the majority of users taking part in it would have been 12 in '83, then the NES couldn't have possibly lost.

And what's up in ten years from now? Well, the winner will likely be Game Cube.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This thread shows two obvious things. First being, that handhelds & consoles are two separated matters. Otherwise Game Boy's significance wouldn't be so disregarded. It marked the first opening of the "kiddie" video game world to adults, long before Sony did, and cemented Bi N's #1 fame world wide and undisputedly.

The second thing is, that when the NES was released ('83/'85) most members where 4-6 years old and, if any, too young to play it, as extensively as the SNES, which was released when they were 9 or 11, an age where you could afford such an expensive present from your parents, while being able to skillfully enjoy it for the first time, too. So it's in large parts a question of demographics, that lead to this poll's outcome. If the majority of users taking part in it would have been 12 in '83, then the NES couldn't have possibly lost.

And what's up in ten years from now? Well, the winner will likely be Game Cube.

I think some are insulted about my brining it up, but age is key with this discussion. Again, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but age often determines what console you like best. I was 10 in 1987, the year we got an NES, it was a Christmas gift from a family friend. After that, I personally purchased every console I have (save the GameCube, which was actually a b-day gift).

The NES/SNES was my existence when they were were out. By the time the N64 came out, I was looking for more adult content from my games, the N64 didn't cut it by a long shot. Like I said earlier, many N64 fans were far younger than I was back in 1996...and perception is reality.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
You said yourself that you have little experience with the NES and SNES.

Your reference point is lame and obscured.

I said I don't have much experience outside of the more popular titles. I've played both systems enough to form a good opinion on them. Probably even played more NES/SNES than you played N64.

I think some are insulted about my brining it up, but age is key with this discussion. Again, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but age often determines what console you like best. I was 10 in 1987, the year we got an NES, it was a Christmas gift from a family friend. After that, I personally purchased every console I have (save the GameCube, which was actually a b-day gift).

The NES/SNES was my existence when they were were out. By the time the N64 came out, I was looking for more adult content from my games, the N64 didn't cut it by a long shot. Like I said earlier, many N64 fans were far younger than I was back in 1996...and perception is reality.

That's true. I was 10 when the N64 came out which is about the age you start to actually get more skilled at gaming. But I remember the NES fondly even for the brief time I had it. I didn't have such a favorable view for the SNES back in that time but that was mostly just the result of owning a Genesis and going through that console war period. Many years later I did went on to like the system once I actually started playing games for it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Holy shit BonusKun you're really old. Congratulations on not being dead.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Everybody is getting up there. You are now past the age I was when you started calling me old man, if I'm not mistaken. Welcome!

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Yeah I suppose, But damn it was a great time to be into games. When the NES came out in 1985 it blew me away how awesome the system was when I was in my teens.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah I suppose, But damn it was a great time to be into games. When the NES came out in 1985 it blew me away how awesome the system was when I was in my teens.

1985-1995 was a freaking awesome time for video games, in my opinion, the best time for video games. The home consoles were amazing, arcades were back in full swing (well, by the late 80's). I know I had no say in it, but I'm thankful I was the age that I was back then. More time than I knew what to do with and an ocean of games constantly coming out.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
How about some feels for the real old guy's i was born in 1966 so had to endure shitty pong clones and my atari woody before the c64 and speccy finally started delivering some decent games.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
How about some feels for the real old guy's i was born in 1966 so had to endure shitty pong clones and my atari woody before the c64 and speccy finally started delivering some decent games.

Yeah...it may be my age, but the early era of home games seems pretty shitty. The arcade scene of the early 80's (pre crash) seemed pretty sweet though. All of that skipped right past me, I was just too young.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
We had no video game crash over here in the uk either so you've got to factor that in, we were blissfully playing away on our c64's, and speccy's.
When the bid N was conquering america with the nes after the crash, us europeans knew very little about it (nes), and were quite happy with our home computers to play games.
Sega on the other hand, did push the master system over here and it got them a loyal fan base.
The big N was never a lover of the pal regions, we got screwed price wise and release wise for many years by them.
They did try with the snes though, and that is my favourite nintendo console, they're pinacle, a fantastic machine and a mint games library, never been equalled since by them in my eyes, and this is coming from a sega fanboy.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
We had no video game crash over here in the uk either so you've got to factor that in, we were blissfully playing away on our c64's, and speccy's.
When the bid N was conquering america with the nes after the crash, us europeans knew very little about it (nes), and were quite happy with our home computers to play games.
Sega on the other hand, did push the master system over here and it got them a loyal fan base.
The big N was never a lover of the pal regions, we got screwed price wise and release wise for many years by them.
They did try with the snes though, and that is my favourite nintendo console, they're pinacle, a fantastic machine and a mint games library, never been equalled since by them in my eyes, and this is coming from a sega fanboy.

I agree, the SNES was the pinnacle for Nintendo. The GC was good, but limited (again, as stated many times already, the GBA adapter is a super bonus), the Wii is also great only because of the VC and the ability to play GC games. The Wii "retro" controller is also great...

I'd like to add that the Wavebird was the shit...ahead of its time for sure and rock solid in performance. I love mine.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NES was it. SNES was great, no doubt but NES was the thing. Like someone mentioned earlier, parents would call anything video game related Nintendo, just like before when everything was called ATARI. SNES is all beautiful and shiny but I feel some games left the gameplay aspect alone, graphics evolved but gameplay did very little. NES maximize on the gameplay aspect, the got all the juice they could out of that unit.

You think of a better game than Batman Sunsoft City for SNES, what about a better game than Ninja Gaiden? Run Saber isn't it, Hagane isn't it, so what is it? The only platformer I felt evolved was Super Mario World, lots of series just went obsicure never to be seen again and developers gave into more buttons to do things but the gameplay took a few step backwards. I mean Super Castlevania 4 was awesome, so was Megaman X series and Super Turrican but that's borderline the same as the NES counterparts...maybe with a bit more flair but not by much.

I can't complaint about the SNES, I love it, I just don't feel it's better than NES.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
All this Nintendo talk made me add some DS games and order some cases for loose gba games.

Thanks to HMG for linking me to some custom inserts!