New SNK Handheld [Official...believe it or not]

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
seconded.

Third!

However, my statement still stands; the stick is a great stick for virtually every other kind of game the 'Pocket offers, but it does very little to make your life easy with the fighting games on the system. It has none of the 'advantages' of a pad, and none of the advantages of a stick. As far as designing a pad for fighting game inputs, it couldn't be a heck of a lot worse. That is, of course, unless it were that thumb-slide abomination that's on the PSP.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
If it is an open source unit, whats the point of picking it up. Because they stamped snk on it?

The d-pad would be the only reason if its anything like the neo geo cd pads.

But i already have a dingoo and a psp that both run emulators...

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
for fuck sake that list of games is the same list that is on every fucking compilation.
No one wants to play Fatal Fury, KOF 94, Sam sho 1, or AOF 1.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Saw this on another site, was wondering how many pages it's accumulated on neo-geo.com...

Anyways, I love these little portable emulator gadgets.

Having one emblazoned with SNK and NeoGeo... must automatically get two of these suckers regardless of how it really turns out :lolz:

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I was stoked to see this on Joystiq today! SNKP should just put every released MVS/AES game on there to give people a choice of what they want to play, and open a store for newer releases like stuff from NG.Dev Team; I'd love to be able to play Gunlord, but the price is prohibitive, so at least they could still make money off of those of us with a smaller budget. I hope this thing is real, although I'm sure it won't look like an iPhone 4 turned sideways...I hope.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The fact this thing has a 16x9 screen is enough of an indicator thats its either:

1. Fake
2. SNKP doesn't take this serious and just licensed their name out to some no name emu hardware maker.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was stoked to see this on Joystiq today! SNKP should just put every released MVS/AES game on there to give people a choice of what they want to play, and open a store for newer releases like stuff from NG.Dev Team; I'd love to be able to play Gunlord, but the price is prohibitive, so at least they could still make money off of those of us with a smaller budget. I hope this thing is real, although I'm sure it won't look like an iPhone 4 turned sideways...I hope.

It would be a sound business move right now for SNKP to sell ng dev kits for people to make emulator friendly games and apps that they could sell.

$99 for an sdk.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If it is real - which it's probably not - I still don't like the prospect of having to play fighters on that stick. Both the NG-CD and Pocket's sticks were less than stellar for fighters.

I couldn't disagree more.

Some of my best Zangief play is on MotM thanks to the NGPC's thumb stick.

Moot point tho, 'cause this Sheng Long handheld is vaporware.

SSS

neo retired
I could see picking one up if the price was under 100 bucks and the library could be expanded to every Neo game. Early titles are cool and all, but I rarely play any of those games listed.

Out of those titles the only ones I play on a consistent basis are sam sho, last resort, and metal slug

Last edited:

TheoGeoAes

n00b
I'm ultra skeptical. According to the joystiq article, some of the pictures are inconsistent with the labeling of the Select button (called Menu in another picture? hmm...) and I agree with all the other opinions that have geared their suspicions toward that 16:9 screen, those dual shoulder buttons and maybe the SNK logo as opposed to the SNK Playmore logo, because they are all sound grounds for conjecture. Maybe I'm a bit too jaded, but I refuse to have faith until SNK PM themselves makes it official. Besides, most every SNK collection released thus far that I have seen has become a bargain-bin used game, from the Fatal Fury collections on PS2 to the multi-platform "Arcade Greatest hits Vol. 1" There seems to be little if any reason at all for this device to exist. That's my two cents, if it's even worth that much... (probably not)

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
sf2_mustdefeat.jpg

hmmmm...

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
I don't have enough information to definitively call it; but I strongly suspect trolling is in progress, here.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I couldn't disagree more.

Some of my best Zangief play is on MotM thanks to the NGPC's thumb stick.

Dude, everyone except Sixth knows that the NGPC stick was hands down the greatest thumb stick of all time. It was a lot like me.

It was a thumbstick on cocaine. And it came from the future.

garza2001

n00b
HI hope this thing is real it'll be awesome to whip out the Neo Geo at work and play some Metal Slug. But I'm a bit skeptical as well hope its real, regardless if its from another company ill buy 2 and store one safe lol

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If it gets Pulstar & Blazing Star, I'll consider that as a must have. XD

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
So...
Hasn't SNK published a press-release or any statement about this handheld yet?
For how long are they going to keep quiet?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
A couple of point s that are being raised on other forums, is that...

a) the photos look fake/photoshoped - just looks like a doctored iPhone.

b) the screen is 16:9, so that means either they will have to rewrite the games to vierw correctly or they will be stretched and potentially look awful.

c) From the reports I have read, this fundametally a Gizmondo with a different shell.. therfore it is emualting the Neo and has the potentail for display/performance issues.

Until we hear something concrete from SNK or the creators of this unit.. who knows.
But either way, it looks the nuts and I want one.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I hope this is true. If it is, and the reviews are solid I may pick one up.

nightc1

n00b
If it is an open source unit, whats the point of picking it up. Because they stamped snk on it?

The d-pad would be the only reason if its anything like the neo geo cd pads.

But i already have a dingoo and a psp that both run emulators...

I have a dingoo A320 and it even has a nice standard 4:3 screen instead of the widescreen format. But I guess with this the screen could be stretched or have black bars to keep the aspect ratio correct. That could be one option for the shoulder buttons... to switch the view mode similar to what the GBA does for GB/GBC games.

The main things I like about this design are the double shoulder buttons & the volume and screen brightness controls on the bottom edge. Dingoo can only change brightness in the system settings and volume is done through menus if the emu was programmed with volume controls. That, coupled with the potential for a clicky stick and possible bigger screen... makes this something I would consider as a replacement for the Dingoo. Heck the fact it has a standard SD slot instead of a silly MicroSD is a huge plus in my book since I have to use a Mini to Micro adapter on the Dingoo.

My guess is that it uses a similar processor to the other similarly featured hong kong handhelds out there which if it does would make CPS1&2 easy to get on there as nearly all the games in both of those libraries run fine on the Dingoo.

I won't get too much into the whole PSP option for NG gaming. The slider and the buttons for doing directions instead of a standard dpad along with the horrible PSP battery life makes it not as friendly to me for serious on the go gaming. Still, it had a lot of positive features and some awesome games, it just came up short in a few too many areas for me which is why I ended up with a Dingoo A320.