New SNK Handheld [Official...believe it or not]

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
I don't play handhelds really anymore, but that is definitely being bought.

Strange that the original article in Japan has been removed...

http://www.famicom-plaza.com/blog/2012/01/0125-neogeopoket2.html

Too suspicious...

A couple of point s that are being raised on other forums, is that...

a) the photos look fake/photoshoped - just looks like a doctored iPhone.

b) the screen is 16:9, so that means either they will have to rewrite the games to vierw correctly or they will be stretched and potentially look awful.

c) From the reports I have read, this fundametally a Gizmondo with a different shell.. therfore it is emualting the Neo and has the potentail for display/performance issues.

Until we hear something concrete from SNK or the creators of this unit.. who knows.
But either way, it looks the nuts and I want one.

Unfortunatelly it looks fake indeed.

I'm still waiting for an official press-release by SNKP about this whole situation.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I hear the manufacturing plant is in Fuldigan, HA.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Dude, everyone except Sixth knows that the NGPC stick was hands down the greatest thumb stick of all time. It was a lot like me.

It was a thumbstick on cocaine. And it came from the future.

But you see, I do know that it was the greatest thumbstick of all time. I also know that it sucked the cock for fighters. I love the thing as much as the next guy, but a spade's a spade. Seriously, name me one advantage that stick had over a conventional pad, and I'll drop it.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Got to be fake, the shoulder buttons are labeled wrong.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
But you see, I do know that it was the greatest thumbstick of all time. I also know that it sucked the cock for fighters. I love the thing as much as the next guy, but a spade's a spade. Seriously, name me one advantage that stick had over a conventional pad, and I'll drop it.

One advantage?
You won't get a callous or blister on your thumb with the NGP stick, no matter how much you use it.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

No way, man. The thumbstick was AWESOME - especially for fighters. Every time it clicked I could feel where I was at and where I needed to stop. I felt like I had much more control over an actual pad. Trust me, I'm a serious pad player, not some stick whore. That thing really was amazing.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Sorry but that picture looks really fake and not even nicely photoshoped. More like a very quick job.

Supernaut_

Banned
New guy hear. I searched that fake Neo Geo Pocket and found this site. I was praying to god it was real but indeed it is fake. You guys seem really serious about this console so I hope to stick around and learn more.

bojay1997

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Can't say for sure, but someone just posted this to the Digital Press website:

Yep, I'm not sure why people are getting excited. Isn't there a Sega branded version of an almost identical device out there? It's not like they are going to release new games specific to the device and it's likely that whatever company is releasing it just approached SNK and paid a licensing fee for the name and ROMS.
Bingo.

The SEGA based product you're thinking of is the Gopher:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-3ijj.html

I heard about a possible licensing deal two months ago and now this image pops up. The company working on it at the time was Blazepro. I sent an e-mail to them late last night and they told me the product would release in about two months. Tommo has stateside distribution rights.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I only ever had the issue of blisters and callouses when I was first using a D-pad for fighting games back in the early 90's. If you roll your thumb on a pad, you don’t have to worry about getting blisters. If you’re trying to ‘draw’ input motions on a pad, then yeah, your thumb is going to look like hell.

The issue with the ‘Pocket’s stick is that it requires a certain degree of travel, but obligates the thumb to do the work rather than the hand-wrist-arm leverage that makes a regular stick such a joy to play. There’s simply an unneeded waste of motion in using the thing with one digit. If someone put a square gate on a PS analog stick and had it have the same activation zones as a regular micro-switch driven stick, people would piss and moan about how using their thumb to maneuver it is clearly inferior to either a D-pad or a conventional stick – yet in the case the ‘Pocket’s stick, this is considered a lovely idea. I just happen to think much of the love is based on favoritism for the brand rather than actual functionality.

And again, this is coming from a guy who loves the damned thing for virtually every other type of game on the system. I’m not hating on the little fucker, I’m just trying to make a point.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

Zangief throws, as I've already mentioned, along w/ 360/720/90•90 inputs are easier & register more consistently on the NGPC. This is thanks to the click, shorter stick travel, & smaller circumference of the thumbstick's travel path.

The little thumb resting divit on top of the NGPC's stick enables blister-free behavior that would wreck a thumb on a PS d-pad.

Period.

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I only ever had the issue of blisters and callouses when I was first using a D-pad for fighting games back in the early 90's. If you roll your thumb on a pad, you don’t have to worry about getting blisters. If you’re trying to ‘draw’ input motions on a pad, then yeah, your thumb is going to look like hell.

The issue with the ‘Pocket’s stick is that it requires a certain degree of travel, but obligates the thumb to do the work rather than the hand-wrist-arm leverage that makes a regular stick such a joy to play. There’s simply an unneeded waste of motion in using the thing with one digit. If someone put a square gate on a PS analog stick and had it have the same activation zones as a regular micro-switch driven stick, people would piss and moan about how using their thumb to maneuver it is clearly inferior to either a D-pad or a conventional stick – yet in the case the ‘Pocket’s stick, this is considered a lovely idea. I just happen to think much of the love is based on favoritism for the brand rather than actual functionality.

And again, this is coming from a guy who loves the damned thing for virtually every other type of game on the system. I’m not hating on the little fucker, I’m just trying to make a point.

I couldn't disagree more, the ngp stick is much better and more accurate then any d-pad I ever tried/played.
I have several ngpc's and have an emulator on my Xperia play. The only thing that could improve my xperia would have been a clicky stick instead of the d-pad.
Like Wes mentioned, it is much more precise with fighters and because of the click you knew exactly what you were doing.
My gf is not a specifically big neofan but loves handhelds in general. Her favorite is the ngpc, due to the controls that is.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
When I saw Supanaut had posted, I thought my old mate had returned and was going to welcome him back, but instead I will welcome you to the forums :)

Back to topic in hand, if it is indeed fake, maybe after the interest it has garnered, SNK might actually think about bringing something like it out.

Last edited:

nightc1

n00b
I heard about a possible licensing deal two months ago and now this image pops up. The company working on it at the time was Blazepro. I sent an e-mail to them late last night and they told me the product would release in about two months. Tommo has stateside distribution rights.

Cool. So did they claim the pictures to be mockups considering the inconsistencies?

Hopefully Tommo gets these out in the US so I don't have to go the hongkong route if these turn out decent. The clicky stick is great. The DSi has a clicky dpad & buttons and it's pretty much perfect for platformers and fighting games and such... hopefully the face buttons and that stick are indeed click-enhanced.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Zangief throws, as I've already mentioned, along w/ 360/720/90•90 inputs are easier & register more consistently on the NGPC. This is thanks to the click, shorter stick travel, & smaller circumference of the thumbstick's travel path.

The little thumb resting divit on top of the NGPC's stick enables blister-free behavior that would wreck a thumb on a PS d-pad.

Period.

Read the first paragraph of my last post. If you did happen to read it, then it’s beyond me how you think any stick has less travel than a digital pad.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
You're in the minority, dude...

Oh, I'm well aware of that. It's just funny that my refusal to state that the stick is awesome for fighters is getting this kind of reaction. Anyway, fuck it; people like what they like.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think it was the "give me one reason" line that got people riled up.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Unfortunately that looks fake.

This on the other hand...
NGP2-vgo.jpg

It even has the correct SNK/Playmore logo, correct buttons, and doesn't look Photoshopped at all!

How could it be a 'shopped iPhone? That's just silly talk..

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Anyone notice the select button becomes the menu button on another angle?

ne01.jpg

23pow.jpg

Last edited: