[It's back!] "I can't edit my post!" -- UPDATE: see post 109

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
hey sorry for being overly critical or difficult, even though this change pissed me off. i'm having some real bad personal shit go down, and I shouldnt be posting until i clear my mind.
my apologies if I came off entitled or hateful. =//

Fair enough. I am over it.

aria

Former Moderator
Hm, that's odd. Should work then. Only thing I can think of is that the table itself needs to be added. Can you get Shawn to check that?

According to Mouse_Master, and I don't know if he's had the time to make a very thorough search, the modification that did it has not been updated to work on VB 4.x, and I can not see any easy way to update it. When vBulletin 4.x was created, it changed almost everything and it's been a pain for us to understand --even the basic stuff (which is why it took a while for us to have the colors back to normal).

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Okay, if one of you can message me the old code I can rewrite it to work in 4, but I would still have him look for the table entry.

aria

Former Moderator
The timing here is coicidental, but we might have found it already working in older threads. We're still working it out.

The problem, like the other issues with the update I mentioned earlier, they changed the interface completely from the previous version without telling us how it was changed.

Our new menu is somewhere unexpected (if not plain hidden), and had to be stumbled upon. It's also the white on white that we get elsewhere (though that's only a minor annoyance), and it allows us to compare revs easily.

If we confirm this is 100% working we'll re-institute editing. Give us a day or so as we need to wait for everyone on our side to take a look.

aria

Former Moderator
In lieu of what we've figured out on our side, we may institute a trial period of long term post editing (i.e. the previous limit, which was very, very long) and see if things work out as they seem to. If that's the case, then we will make the change permanent. We'll keep you all updated.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Good work trying to repair this, here's some current foibles.

For example, this thread:

FS: MVS carts (post #72 for update)

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?223095-FS-MVS-carts-(post-72-for-update)

Instead of seeing whats immediately for sale, I need to go through pages, its inconvenient.

Then there is sammybean's thread right now in the feedback forum. I'd edit that second thread for another members privacy.

I call for a two day edit trial period. That'd work for bitter old men type posters like merc, taiso and myself.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Another idea. Make a sticky thread in the market forums that says 'Make sure to take a screen cap of your deals" That is a much better form of buyer protection also. Take the cap, save the cap. You can even be specific in the text area showing how to do it for each architecture/browser for the computer illiterate.

aria

Former Moderator
Okay, we're pretty sure we've got post edit history back without any hiccups, so [highlight]we're going to turn post editing back on.[/highlight]

If there are no technical hiccups (appearing on our side), it will be permanent. :)

[highlight]If there are issues, we will need to take the ability back offline until it's fixed.[/highlight]

Like before, the ability to edit posts does eventually expire, but it's a long time and will likely only affect ancient threads. We've also set the time limit for the ability to edit titles to be as long as the ability to edit posts.

Keep in mind, we will now have full access to post histories and reserve the right to restore or read old versions of posts as necessary. :very_ang:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Great news. Thanks for all you r hard work guys to get this back up and running.

Before the upgrade you could only edit the first post of a sales thread for about 30 days or so.. is this still in place...?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Good news, thanks! I like the long long long edit window. As you could tell by checking me out, I never do anything inflammatory with it.

aria

Former Moderator
I'm curious, what did you two do to fix it?

Well, our discussion in the thread covered earlier --all the internal switches for edit history were already turned on, but for some reason we couldn't find how to access the edit history. As it turns out, in the same way they completely pulled the rug out--err, changed the interface, they also placed the ability to check post history in a place we would've never expected.

Good news, thanks! I like the long long long edit window. As you could tell by checking me out, I never do anything inflammatory with it.

Most people didn't, which is why it was a pain to switch off. Now we can track previous edits when we need to.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for re-enabling this.

kekekegay.gif

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Okay, we're pretty sure we've got post edit history back without any hiccups, so [highlight]we're going to turn post editing back on.[/highlight]

If there are no technical hiccups (appearing on our side), it will be permanent. :)

[highlight]If there are issues, we will need to take the ability back offline until it's fixed.[/highlight]

Like before, the ability to edit posts does eventually expire, but it's a long time and will likely only affect ancient threads. We've also set the time limit for the ability to edit titles to be as long as the ability to edit posts.

Keep in mind, we will now have full access to post histories and reserve the right to restore or read old versions of posts as necessary. :very_ang:
Very nice. The original edit window I believe was 30 days, which should be plenty of time for them market people ;)