Why is Matrimelee so cheap compared to ROTD?

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I've seen Matrimelee numerous times going for under £100.. yet ROTD , i have always seen fetch at least £200 +++ depending on condition.

I'd have thought matrimelee would be rarer considering it's a rather daft fighting game, but i disgress. Any ideas?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
There's still a big stock of Matrimelee in the neostore for 185$, while ROTD was sold out long ago. That's the reason.

Weren't production counts for ROTD lower?

Also, despite that possibility, I still find it odd that Matrimelee is cheap and still common (b/c it is available at Neostore). More people seem to appreciate what Matrimelee is than ROTD. In addition, you can't find Matrimelee (Power Instince IV) on any other platform; its NEO exclusive which ads to its value IMO. But then again value can be added only if there are buyers; a catch-22.

<shrug>

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Electroman said:
More people seem to appreciate what Matrimelee is than ROTD.

If you like videogames, this is common sense. Wait for Matrimelee to sold out at the store and it may take a little bit of value. That's not important anyway, it's typically a player's game.

Tristesse said:
If you like videogames, this is common sense. Wait for Matrimelee to sold out at the store and it may take a little bit of value. That's not important anyway, it's typically a player's game.

Agreed. Great to play with a bunch of people just for fun. Definately a 'player's game'.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Electroman said:
Weren't production counts for ROTD lower?

Also, despite that possibility, I still find it odd that Matrimelee is cheap and still common (b/c it is available at Neostore). More people seem to appreciate what Matrimelee is than ROTD. In addition, you can't find Matrimelee (Power Instince IV) on any other platform; its NEO exclusive which ads to its value IMO. But then again value can be added only if there are buyers; a catch-22.

<shrug>

Well, you can't find ROTD either in any other platform, can you? Unless you are referring MVS, where you can find a ROTD MVS kit for dirt cheap. Of course there's also quite a lot of Matrimelee MVS copies, but not as many and cheap.

Also ROTD is quite older than Matrimelee, and in 2002 there still was quite a lot of interest about the AES, but it started to fall in 2003.

WGolly

Known Scammer. Fook Better Explain Himself
if its a fun game, who cares about its price, no?. I'm glad its so cheap. Once it sells out it may be a diffrent story (MS3 :crying: ).

SHO

Raiden's Valet
I personally perfer ROTD

Matrimelee is still cheap cos it hasn't sold out and prob because it might have a higher production run, just a guess

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
SHO said:
I personally perfer ROTD

Matrimelee is still cheap cos it hasn't sold out and prob because it might have a higher production run, just a guess

I also enjoy ROTD a bit more, and would pay more for it based on its gameplay alone. I really love Waku Waku 7, but Matrimelee just doesn't do all that much for me. Couple that with the fact that ROTD sold out almost immediately, whereas Matrimelee is still available years after its release, and you've got some good reasons why ROTD is much more pricey and much more difficult to find.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
ROTD sold faster because of the hype built before its release.
The vids, the production numbers (Specially).

Matrimelee didn't have any of that, and it's of course a much better
game than ROTD, that's of course my opinion.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
For people who don't like Matrimelee so much are you playing in JPN or USA system? Because the game is very different in JPN systems, much better music and background effects. Just set it fo English language and you get full English text too.

johnno15

Super Spy Agent
As an mvs gamer this situation is completly the opposite for me :annoyed: ROTD is as cheap a kit as your likely to find whereas matrimelle will cost you quite alot E.G. ROTD cost me £20 in mint condition and matrimelle cost me £70 almost as much as its AES counterpart :crying: . IMHO Matrimelle shits all over ROTD ;)

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
It only happens to the good games, look at KOF98 and 99 there are copys everywhere!

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
So do you guys think the Jap or the English version of Matrimelee is the better choice?
Bha...nevermind, I like the 'full frame' Jap box art better.

Last edited:

SNKJorge

HellioN said:
So do you guys think the Jap or the English version of Matrimelee is the better choice?
Bha...nevermind, I like the 'full frame' Jap box art better.

They're the same thing, just insert is the only difference. Your actual home system
determines how the game plays.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
xtoo_short20x said:
ROTD sold faster because of the hype built before its release.
The vids, the production numbers (Specially).

Matrimelee didn't have any of that, and it's of course a much better
game than ROTD, that's of course my opinion.

Can you play as the ROTD charters in Matrimelee or is that just a ROM hack?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
They're the same thing, just insert is the only difference. Your actual home system
determines how the game plays.

I know that.
I ment more along the lines of value down the road.
But like I said Bha.
I like the 'full frame' Jap box better so that's the one I will most likely get.

SNKJorge

neo_X7 said:
Can you play as the ROTD charters in Matrimelee or is that just a ROM hack?

You can play as Jimmy, Elias, Jones, & Lynn from ROTD. No hack needed, just
code.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Plisken said:
Why is Matrimelee so cheap compared to ROTD?
Because the MVS copy of ROTD is totally fucked up. There are a good 10+ models of the MVS hardware ever made, and ROTD only plays correctly on 1 of them. Therefore, the home cart price spikes because it's the only viable way for most people to get ROTD.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
neojedi said:
Because the MVS copy of ROTD is totally fucked up. There are a good 10+ models of the MVS hardware ever made, and ROTD only plays correctly on 1 of them. Therefore, the home cart price spikes because it's the only viable way for most people to get ROTD.
I thought it was only messed up on one or two versions of the 1-slot boards? Works perfectly on my 4-slot...Is that the only one it works on?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
the neo store means nothing

when you consider the rarity / price of a game you only gotta consider japanese games and the japanese market

so :

rotd goes easily for 60000 / 70000 Y +

matrimelee for 20000 / 25000 +

that's it

because,who would have thought !!!!,rotd is harder to find

johnno15

Super Spy Agent
SouthtownKid said:
I thought it was only messed up on one or two versions of the 1-slot boards? Works perfectly on my 4-slot...Is that the only one it works on?
Thats right neojedi seems to have got his wires crossed. If im wrong then it will come as no suprise to me as this is often the case :(