Who loves pinball? (moved)

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Hikaru Ichijyo said:
I'm a HUGE fan of pinball machines and video pinball. I'm surprised that after four pages in, no one's mentioned Addams Family Pinball. That's hands down my favorite game. Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, and Bram Stoker's Dracula were some favorite machines of mine as well. I always leaned more towards Bally machines more so than Stern or Data East, but they've made some good ones as well (Star Wars by Data East was pretty fun).

It's unfortunate there isn't any real arcades/places to play pinball in Cincinnati anymore. I would love to be able to go back to Ann Arbor, MI and visit Pinball Pete's again. :D

this entire post makes me laugh. i live in toledo, visit pinball pete's occasionally and had Demolition Man and Star Wars at one time. Star Wars is still in the living room. too many correlations.

only people who suck ass at pinball hate it.

lol, anyone need a cupholder for a pin?

aria

Former Moderator
Hikaru Ichijyo said:
I'm a HUGE fan of pinball machines and video pinball. I'm surprised that after four pages in, no one's mentioned Addams Family Pinball. That's hands down my favorite game. Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, and Bram Stoker's Dracula were some favorite machines of mine as well. I always leaned more towards Bally machines more so than Stern or Data East, but they've made some good ones as well (Star Wars by Data East was pretty fun).

I swore I mentioned there's one 10 minutes away from me --and yes, its awesome. I think I might have an old issue of VG&CE that shows MC Hammer playing the game at some function related to promoting the film.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
talks2wall said:
Most video game versions of pinball really disappoint me. The accuracy and finesse of the flippers just never feels solid enough. Despite all the hype, I was disappointed with both Alien Crush and Devil's Crush when i got them on the VC. :crying: I might trying the Williams collection for the Wii, but I'm skeptical. Gonna hit a dive bar Friday night that has at least 3-4 pinball machines, including Playboy and Lord of the Rings.
Old school video pinball is just a different type of game than conventional pinball. If you go in as a pinball enthusiast and expect it to compete on the same level as real pinball you're going to be disappointed. But as a video game where you rack up points on the bonus screens by killing dragons and stuff, Alien and Devil's Crush are hella fun.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
The Pinball Circus is unique, extremely rare, but --more importantly-- a lot of fun:

TPC-2008-04.jpg

I cropped that photo from another I took and tried to enhance the colors in the field of play a bit --I also tried including one side to show a flipper button.

I made it all the way to the Clown's mouth but I couldn't get it through. Very fun, multi-tiered game.

I have a video of it in action, perhaps I can upload it somewhere.

EDIT: here's my bad video (the damn window reflection) As YuckMud mentioned, there's more on YouTube by others.

I love that table. It's a hard table and I still haven't made it into the clown's mouth. Grrr.

I've been spending a lot of time "practicing" on the Williams Pinball collection for the Wii. I plan on making an afternoon Saturday over at the pinball hall of fame and test out my newly honed skills. ;)

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Timorous Scott said:
someone by me is selling the street fighter II pinball machine for $700. and yes, its the one where you get to beat up the car.

That table is horrible.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Are the add-A-Ball versions worth signifigantly more?????

There is a Spacelab (Sklylab add-A-Ball, production 30) near me for a rather cheap price.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
I used to love the Addam's Family one.
Haven't seen a pinball machine in ages though, I can't even think of a place nearby that still has one.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Trying to find the Williams Pinball Classics on the Wii is pissing me off. I've checked two Targets because they have it the cheapest and NONE of them have it. The only place that had it was Best Buy and they wanted over 30 bucks plus tax for it.

I was really surprised with that game, I'm usually against most video pinball, but I really enjoyed the quality of the tables. They won't replace the real thing but it's still a lot of fun to be able to play Funhouse and Whirlwind whenever I want to.

How about some more Stern talk? As I said, I think their getting better and better as they go on. For my favorite tables I'd say it's a very close tie between The Lord of The Rings and Spider-Man.

I loved all of the modes in LotR and Spider-Man felt like Attack from Mars with more ramps and multiball modes so I always love playing that a lot. I'm also impressed with Pirates. The ship reminded me a lot of the castle in Medieval Madness. The only thing I didn't like is there's hardly anything on the right side of the table, almost all of the stuff is on the right side.

Tsubaki

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Any videogamer who claims to love the mystique of the arcade, but fails to acknowledge the magic of pinball is so wrong.:forw: :hcf: :C:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
My game room has an old Williams Sorcerer pinball however it's seen better days. Flippers aren't full strength, targets and jets are slow and the playfield's really worn plus none of the scoreboards work. It'll take well over $300 to fix it to be more playable, unfortunately not justified since it'll never make money. Told my boss to find somebody to take it, give it a good home and really have them make it a project refurbishing it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
norton9478 said:
Are the add-A-Ball versions worth signifigantly more?????

There is a Spacelab (Sklylab add-A-Ball, production 30) near me for a rather cheap price.

Not sure,but I'm a big fan of the old EM machines....(I'd probably pick it up if it was cheap..

My dad's been asking me if I've checked out any local sales on Pinball machines,I think he's getting an itch for another machine.

We enjoy fixing up and getting the old EM machines to work..

He really wants to add a Wide Body Pinball machine to his collection though.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Not sure,but I'm a big fan of the old EM machines....(I'd probably pick it up if it was cheap..

My dad's been asking me if I've checked out any local sales on Pinball machines,I think he's getting an itch for another machine.

We enjoy fixing up and getting the old EM machines to work..

He really wants to add a Wide Body Pinball machine to his collection though.
Bally's Space Invaders pinball was one of my favorite wide PB...great machine and at the same time a very frustrating one to play. It was one of those 'you either do great or you do real lousy' types. Ball drain was a major factor in this one :oh_no:

J. Max

judas,
A couple no one has mentioned...

Funhouse - I still think this is my personal favorite. The fact that Rudy continually taunted you through the whole game was great. It was a NIGHTMARE to keep up though.

Hercules - Anyone ever play this? It was an Atari table that was 3 times as large as a normal machine...

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Timorous Scott said:
someone by me is selling the street fighter II pinball machine for $700. and yes, its the one where you get to beat up the car.

That table is both horrible and fun, though a lot of that fun is derived from the really bad voices that keep popping up during the game and bad animations being displayed. The Chun-Li ramp is one of the biggest pains in the ass I've come across.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Tsubaki said:
Any videogamer who claims to love the mystique of the arcade, but fails to acknowledge the magic of pinball is so wrong.:forw: :hcf: :C:

I don't love the "mystique" of the arcade, I like the games. Pinball, is not one of them though.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
J. Max said:
Hercules - Anyone ever play this? It was an Atari table that was 3 times as large as a normal machine...
One of the game rooms I used to go to as a youngster had that machine. I could barely reach the sides to use the flipper buttons. Those who haven't seen it...IT WAS HUGE!!! The pinball was a wood ball almost near the size of a skeeball. Major drawback: I rarely seen one that worked; it spent most of its time shut off.

Atari made a few pinballs (the other notable one was Superman: the playfield had touch tone areas instead of wire switches or sensors) but they all failed proving that a great video company cannot make pinballs.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
norton9478 said:
How about Baby pac?

P4260019.jpg

That's Richie Knucklez Baby Pac-Man, it's for sale, but I didn't ask how much it was. Damn thing is fun as hell to play, I just wish it wasn't so rare. We'll have a video of it, next time we go, I want to go full in depth with it and show how it works.

I played it as a kid and didn't even know it was half pinball, I just thought it was a bootleg of Pac-Man and was too hard because it didn't have any Power Pellets.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
NeoDragoN said:

Were there two seperate Elviras made? That flyer one looks totally different than one we have on location right now.

Also, great pinballs..

Taxi, with Gorbie and Pinbot!

Jackbot, that ones hella fun

Lord of the Rings. One of the best new pinballs out.

Attack from Mars/Revenge from Mars (Hillary, come 'ere! You got to see this!)

Super Mario Bros. Just for the fact its the Mario Bros!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Moose said:
Were there two seperate Elviras made? That flyer one looks totally different than one we have on location right now.

Yep, there were,

782f4.jpg

Elvira and The Party Monsters

and

3915f1.jpg

Scared Stiff

Both were really good, but I liked Scared Stiff the best.

The one thing I did like with Revenge from Mars was the humor. The Tractor Beam with Clinton was and still is hilarious. "Don't take my monster truck! The chick's dig that!"

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I remember playing a baby Pac Man owned by a friend of my parents when I was a little kid in the 80's in their basement. I loved it then. I was told not to start the pinball part after they put the baby to sleep though.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Oh, I gotta play that Elvira and the Party Monsters machine.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
And the one thing I remember about the Elvira pinball (and is stated in the flyer)...a special decal and setting gives the machine a more 'kid friendly' appearance :loco:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
YuckMud said:
P4260019.jpg

That's Richie Knucklez Baby Pac-Man, it's for sale, but I didn't ask how much it was. Damn thing is fun as hell to play, I just wish it wasn't so rare. We'll have a video of it, next time we go, I want to go full in depth with it and show how it works.

I played it as a kid and didn't even know it was half pinball, I just thought it was a bootleg of Pac-Man and was too hard because it didn't have any Power Pellets.

I've never played Baby Pac-Man.....though...My brother in law has one..My sister found it in a thrift store down south Jersey for either $25.00 or $40.00 about a year or two ago(yea I threw up..

The pinball part didn't work..
I think he either repaired the board or replaced it.

DSC02796frank.jpg

9599b626.jpg