Which Neo Geo Soccer game is playable?

After spending some time with Neo Geo Cup 98, I find that it's barely playable. I imagine this would be the same for Sidekicks 3.

The screen is largely in a zoomed-in state where you cannot see the rest of the field, with the zoom-out being very slow and limited. The CPU-controlled team players seldom if ever home in on the ball. The possession of the ball is laughable when the CPU comes close.

I've only played Sidekicks 2 a little more extensively and find it's a much better game. How does Sidekicks 4 & 1 play? That being said, I've played Soccer Brawl to death and love it, but it's not entirely a normal soccer game.

Perhaps someone could chime in about Pleasure Goal, Goal!x3, Tecmo World Soccer '96. Are there others?

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
From i remember when i was a kid most of soccer games were klunky and kinda slow. I think those kinds of games are just for kicks with friends.

Then again i haven't played any of them in years!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
IMHO Neo Geo Cup 98 is the only playable soccer game in existance.

complexs6

Camel Slug
I only played Superside Kicks 3 & 2 to death. I like 2 more because of the chant like in a real soccer game but I been playing 3 alot. I think its very playable yea the computer is a joke until you get to the semi final or final then they are bad ass, no one can touch the computer on final I know that for sure they always have so much stamina and are very aggressive with the ball always stealing it when before you were doing the stealing lol. You can win them but they wont give you the game.

Last edited:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Well for Arcade all of the sidekicks games were awesome, but i just love the first one. By far my favourite.

as for Neo geo cup 98, i thought you were talking about theh ngpc game, its' pretty awesome, BTW.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I would definately recommend the first Super Sidekicks game - It's graphics are a little different and that might help if you have issues on 'seeing where you are' which is a problem I have with some soccer games.

Sidekicks 1 is also fairly basic, so you dont have to faff around to much, also it should be quite cheap as well, so it's well worth taking the plunge.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
IMO, Super Sidekicks 3 and NGC98 are the best Neo football games, followed by (to a lesser extend) Soccer Brawl.

Super Sidekicks 4 aka Ultimate 11 is crap IMO, if you don't like limited visibility of the playfield in SS3, you will hate U11 because it's even more zoomed-in than the others.

A honorable mention goes to SS1, it's very different (more old-school) than SS2/3/NGC98, some people rate it as the best game of the series. Characters are smaller in it so you should give it a try if you don't like the newer ones.

Pleasure Goal is a mixed bag, it's a non-serious street soccer type of game with a lot of cool stuff to find out but you will need some time to get used to the controls and the way the players move, sometimes it seems they'd slide around on ice instead of grass. Graphics are Saurus-style, which means they look pre-rendered and thus slightly "worn-out". Colors are not very brilliant too.

drombat

Galford's Armourer
I actually find sidekicks 3 immensely playable. And I'm just beginning to get good at it. We have had many heated vs matches, and every time something new and cool is discovered.

Holy... thanks for all the input, seems like Neo Geo Cup 98 is the most playable of the lot? Guess I'll spend a little more time on it. I did pick my local team, Singapore, which I now am sure they dumbed their stats down to match our real world standards.

I'm sure in VS matches any of these games would rock but against the CPU the difficulty curve is exponential and later stages are plain ridiculous.

Would be cool to check out Pleasure Goal, am always a fan of 3D graphics rendered into 2D sprites.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
NGC98, only one I keep playing. Its a great arcade soccer game.

From the sound of your post you're looking for a soccer simulation game not arcade.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Try...

Goal,Goal,Goal

My current,very playable favorite..

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
It's funny that aside from fighting games, soccer is the second most represented type on the Neo, barring the sports genre itself.

Having played them all, Super Sidekicks 2 and Neo Geo Cup '98 are my favorites. Goal x 3 is also a very playable game, more so than the SNK made ones.

I also agree that Ultimate 11 is the worst in the Sidekicks series, despite the fact it's also the most advanced in termos of innovations and graphics.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Clear Paper said:
Would be cool to check out Pleasure Goal, am always a fan of 3D graphics rendered into 2D sprites.

Don't expect a full-blown football game, tho.

The game can become very hectic, the playfield also is much smaller than a real one. What's more, players don't move at full speed right from the start but need a bit of time to get a grip, so it's better to keep your team moving and avoid too much passing.

It's a love/hate thing, try it before buying, I haven't met a lot of people who like this game.

I'm not a huge fan either but it's kinda fun in 2P... I have the NGCD version, btw.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I can't remember whether this one was in the neo, but i enjoyed a lot this game called seibu cup. Very amazin game....

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
I'll bump this slapper instead of making a new one:

Anyone played Tecmo 96? Any good? Differences to GGG/SS/PG?

Thankies. :multi_co: :glee:

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
soulthug said:
I'll bump this slapper instead of making a new one:

Anyone played Tecmo 96? Any good? Differences to GGG/SS/PG?

Thankies. :multi_co: :glee:

I really liked Tecmo 96, I picked up a kit when they were cheap. I thought it played really well, although there are better looking games out there.

That being said, I also really like SS 1 and Goal, Goal, Goal.

Last edited:

Irem

New Challenger
I liked Sidekicks 3 the most, and NGC98 is basically the same game. I found that the spaces are even smaller in Sidekicks 2 and therefore making it more annoying to play.

Sidekicks 1 has the best view, but its way and way too easy to score.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
They are all extremely playable, the thing is that most folk are spoiled by the Ultimate 11 games.

I don't see any love for Tecmo 96:emb: , the game is got crazy potential for deadly combinations, however Neo Cup '98 is my favorite no doubt! My least favorite is Goal Goal Goal, but I don't dislike it sorry chris1:(

Baseley09

Hair Group,
jeff bogard said:
I can't remember whether this one was in the neo, but i enjoyed a lot this game called seibu cup. Very amazin game....

Yeah man Seibu Olympic Cup soccer is the best arcade soccer game they made.....the Sidekicks 3...then Sidekicks 1.

All the Neo soccer is good, The Tecmo one has some nice features of play.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Super Sidekicks 4 is terrible. Avoid. The only thing worth having SS4 for is the hidden team.

If you want a really good 2D soccer game, get International Superstar Soccer on the SNES.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I have never seen Pleasure Goal for sale. What does one of these usually go for? (If anyone knows)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I have never seen Pleasure Goal for sale. What does one of these usually go for? (If anyone knows)

The MVS cart you mean? I haven't seen one for sale in a long ass time, and back then it was from a German seller (which means it was probably a bootleg being sold as legit with faked out shit everywhere). I think even back then the seller was askign for around $200.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
wasabi said:
The MVS cart you mean? I haven't seen one for sale in a long ass time, and back then it was from a German seller (which means it was probably a bootleg being sold as legit with faked out shit everywhere). I think even back then the seller was askign for around $200.

Yes sorry, I meant the MVS. It is one of the few MVS carts I have not seen for sale.

I have played the Rom and thought it was decent but I know people have very mixed feeling about it.