When is a man in his physical prime?

kernow

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Joined
Sep 1, 2001
Posts
31,183
time for kern answer

"who cares ? we'll all be dead in about 60yrs or less" :p
 

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Posts
27,699
I was in better shape when I was younger. I am 29 now and before I took up Tennis to play with my GF I was in way better shape. About 2 months in to playing tennis I over extended my foot causing the arch to collapse as I have high arches and now the tendon underneath can not support my weight under running condition for too long.

THEN after that healed we were playing tennis again and I twisted my knee badly. Mind you both the injuries are on my left leg, plus being filipino I have gout as well but I control it with my diet BUT if I sprain my ankle it will kick in no matter what.

Plus the only activity to really gets me breathing hard is boxing. Ever since we built the 3 room extension on our house I had to cut down my tree which held my punching bag. The damn contractors took 9 months to finish which is about 6 months too long. So now I need to find some way to put my bag up again but I dont want that gay punching bag stand. I am probably gonna make something like a tether-bag so when I hit it hard it swings around and comes from the other side so I can practice my hooks and/or train with my bro again at the same time.
 

LoneSage

A Broken Man
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Posts
40,426
Wow, thanks for the answers, definitely puts me at ease since I was expecting a lot more 20-23 years old answers. When I was younger I was the token funny fat kid, and then around middle school I decided that if I ever wanted to get laid with a babe I'd have to lose the weight. So I started working out, riding my bike everywhere and even pretending I was a member of a country club so I could work out in their gym (good times :p ). I lost about 50 pounds total and now that I had gotten skinnier, it was around 9th grade that it was time to pack on the muscle. I was definitely inspired to do so by a longtime classmate who absolutely trumped me in everything; bench press, squats, etc. so I vowed to get stronger than him. Around my peak (which was around 16) I had something of a four-pack and I could bench quite a bit, never became a beefcake but I was certainly proud to be in the best shape of my life.
After I got appendicitis in the summer of 04, tho, it hurt for at least a week to do sit-ups or any kind of exercise, so I decided to take a break and just relax. Well, that break lasted for a few months, and although I never let myself 'go' I did gain a few pounds and I definitely lost some of my muscle. Ever since then working out has been an on-again, off-again subject; I only push myself to the limit if there's some girl I want to impress.
So now I just feel kinda lanky and my stomach has lost disciple; it's not fat, I've just formed a gut. I have a problem with my lungs that no one else knows about that tires and exhausts me quicker than most people, so I've always had to train harder to break past my endurance levels. I haven't been a member of the YMCA for way over a year now, but I've been going there every now and then since when you scan an expired card, it makes the same sound as an active one -- and it depends on the person sitting at the desk if they check the computer to see if it's expired or not. I finally got caught last week (I booked it out of there too) so no more YMCA.

I'm certain what prompted this thread was my viewing of Ninja Warrior on G4; it's a bunch of regular, working-man Japanese guys (and some western Olympic athletes) who have to clear obstacles, it's pretty badass. Anyways, one of the contestants is some 18 year old who got all the way to the final stage and I thought to myself, shit, I wonder if I can even clear Stage 1.

So anyhoo, yeah...it's high time I got into the best shape of my life. I've got a 6'4'' height and my body seems natural at building strength, so I don't want to miss my physical prime years from now -- it's also about getting all the high school poon tang that's possible now, a few years from now it's going to be really weird if I'm still going after 16/17 year olds. I'm still a teen now so this is the last of my chances to get that kind of ass, after that, it's gone, no more. Time to get it when you can!
 

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Posts
27,699
When I was in high school during senior year I went up to 260, no shit. After I graduated my friend got me on herbalife and I went down to 185. Of course like every other weight training program you NEED to exercise. There is no miracle pill but there are some that can help. It took me about 5 months to drop that much weight but I had a strict diet and exercise plan. After my knee and foot went out I slowly got up to 200 BUT when I had no punching bag I got up to 220. Shit, I need to get back into it. My goal this year is to get down to 185 by my birthday which is May 23, we'll see.
 
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Posts
4,209
LoneSage said:
Wow, thanks for the answers, definitely puts me at ease since I was expecting a lot more 20-23 years old answers. When I was younger I was the token funny fat kid, and then around middle school I decided that if I ever wanted to get laid with a babe I'd have to lose the weight. So I started working out, riding my bike everywhere and even pretending I was a member of a country club so I could work out in their gym (good times :p ). I lost about 50 pounds total and now that I had gotten skinnier, it was around 9th grade that it was time to pack on the muscle. I was definitely inspired to do so by a longtime classmate who absolutely trumped me in everything; bench press, squats, etc. so I vowed to get stronger than him. Around my peak (which was around 16) I had something of a four-pack and I could bench quite a bit, never became a beefcake but I was certainly proud to be in the best shape of my life.
After I got appendicitis in the summer of 04, tho, it hurt for at least a week to do sit-ups or any kind of exercise, so I decided to take a break and just relax. Well, that break lasted for a few months, and although I never let myself 'go' I did gain a few pounds and I definitely lost some of my muscle. Ever since then working out has been an on-again, off-again subject; I only push myself to the limit if there's some girl I want to impress.
So now I just feel kinda lanky and my stomach has lost disciple; it's not fat, I've just formed a gut. I have a problem with my lungs that no one else knows about that tires and exhausts me quicker than most people, so I've always had to train harder to break past my endurance levels. I haven't been a member of the YMCA for way over a year now, but I've been going there every now and then since when you scan an expired card, it makes the same sound as an active one -- and it depends on the person sitting at the desk if they check the computer to see if it's expired or not. I finally got caught last week (I booked it out of there too) so no more YMCA.

I'm certain what prompted this thread was my viewing of Ninja Warrior on G4; it's a bunch of regular, working-man Japanese guys (and some western Olympic athletes) who have to clear obstacles, it's pretty badass. Anyways, one of the contestants is some 18 year old who got all the way to the final stage and I thought to myself, shit, I wonder if I can even clear Stage 1.

So anyhoo, yeah...it's high time I got into the best shape of my life. I've got a 6'4'' height and my body seems natural at building strength, so I don't want to miss my physical prime years from now -- it's also about getting all the high school poon tang that's possible now, a few years from now it's going to be really weird if I'm still going after 16/17 year olds. I'm still a teen now so this is the last of my chances to get that kind of ass, after that, it's gone, no more. Time to get it when you can!

When I was 22 I weighed 225 lbs. Now I weigh 150lbs. If you want to be in good shape, eat a high-protein/hi-fiber/low calorie diet. Keep your calories between 1800 and 1300 and you will lose weight.
 

LoneSage

A Broken Man
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Posts
40,426
I'm in great shape right now, I just feel I can shave off a few pounds from the belly. But yeah, thanks for the tips.
Shut your chubby lips jro, I was trying to tell my Jerry O' Connell story :envy: I have a need to be the greatest fighter in the world!
 

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Posts
27,699
jethrek said:
When I was 22 I weighed 225 lbs. Now I weigh 150lbs. If you want to be in good shape, eat a high-protein/hi-fiber/low calorie diet. Keep your calories between 1800 and 1300 and you will lose weight.

Ya there is a lot of things you can change to lose weight even small stuff. Like parking farther away when you go to the store. I hate the lurkers that need to have the closet stall possible or those fuckers with the handicap placard that are driving a fucken hummer and just hop in and out of it. I think I am more qualified to park there than them but I dont because I dont want to get lazy like that.

But anywho cut down on your calories and drink a lot of water because some people dont know that when you burn fat that it goes into your bladder waiting to be flushed out BUT if you aren't drinking enough water it just redeposits in the closest area which for guys the love handles.

Also when you drink water there is a catch-22. When you drink cold water your body burns calories to heat up the water so it can digest it BUT when you drink cold water it contracts your stomach and esophagus and prevents you from drinking a lot of water. Drinking lukewarm water is best when you need to tank some water.
 

AWC

NEST Puppet
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Posts
172
I'm 23 right now and I 'm in the best physical condition in my life and will continue to get better due to my methods of physical conditioning. Bboying/breaking has motivated me to condition my body and train in in a way to allow me to do almost anything I want physically. Hopefully I can maintain and improve my personal standard of physical fitness throughout my life in a similar way that a senior Shaolin monk is able to do handstand push-ups with as few fingers as possible.
 

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Posts
18,418
I'm just here to absorb some of wizkid's knowledge on human physiology.

~lol pure genius
 

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Posts
20,259
Defenately 17 through 22, those were the years I was cut, it's not easy to keep up any more, so I'm not sure if it's the norm, but to get back to that shape I'll have to go to a gym, and I hate them places.
 

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Joined
Oct 28, 2003
Posts
1,288
From a physical standpoint I feel about the same that i did back when i was in high school. Maybe even healthier. Probably because i maintain a balance of what i eat and don't eat. I've also developed more endurance over the years due to lots of cardio activities like basketball and running. To answer your question, i don't really know when a man reaches his peak. I think it varies for everyone. Depending on his upbringing and surroundings.

I just pray that i grow old to be like my grandfather. He's a real life golden ager. Is 72 years old and does construction, believe it or not. He's very strong. Works like a freakin machine. Don't see too many elderly like that. It's kind of funny also that he's still sexually active. No joke. Tells me so many stories when he goes back home to visit his country.
 
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Posts
4,209
Xian Xi said:
Ya there is a lot of things you can change to lose weight even small stuff. Like parking farther away when you go to the store. I hate the lurkers that need to have the closet stall possible or those fuckers with the handicap placard that are driving a fucken hummer and just hop in and out of it. I think I am more qualified to park there than them but I dont because I dont want to get lazy like that.

But anywho cut down on your calories and drink a lot of water because some people dont know that when you burn fat that it goes into your bladder waiting to be flushed out BUT if you aren't drinking enough water it just redeposits in the closest area which for guys the love handles.

Also when you drink water there is a catch-22. When you drink cold water your body burns calories to heat up the water so it can digest it BUT when you drink cold water it contracts your stomach and esophagus and prevents you from drinking a lot of water. Drinking lukewarm water is best when you need to tank some water.

Honestly I tried those "little things" for nearly ten years with no success. The problem is that all the extra workout in the world, while fantastic for you, doesn't burn all that many extra calories. Sure, you could burn a few hundred calories by running, but that's just not as easy as dropping sugary soda, eating more vegetables and lean meat, etc.
 

Shawn

, Grandmaster Elf , Overlord (GEO), , snkusa.com
Joined
Aug 11, 2000
Posts
2,500
Very good thread! I'll have to revisit it and read it more closely when I have more time.

I'm closing in on 31 and my best strength/shape so far was in the mid 20's. I got into Warcraft at 27 and quit working out and have been struggling hard to gain it back over the past year. I consume mass amounts of food but still remain slim, it's a slow upstream battle to regain that hard earned weight back. I hope the mid 30's for strength holds true, that I look forward to.

Sadly, my current body weight is 152 lbs and I’m stuck at a best of a pair of 110 lb dumbbells on incline press for 8 reps and 225 bar on flat bench for 13. My peak was a body weight of a colossal 165 lbs repping 135's (dumbell per hand) for 12, 225 flat bench for 19 to 20 reps, and stayed that way for years @ 100% natural, didn’t even touch creatine. - Deep reps (as far as joints will allow), touching at top, no spot or lift off.

I’ve a long ways to go and not sure if I’ll ever be that size/strength again. Its really hard to believe that some people still get bigger & stronger into their 30’s (makes me suspect “cheating”) but I guess it’s all related to how much weight you can manage to gain. My diet is missing tuna though, just can't bring myself to down so much mercury after learning about the possible brain damage.

Work hard, stay natural, live long.
 
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
Posts
3,903
Shawn said:
Sadly, my current body weight is 152 lbs

Wow, you're incredibly light. How tall are you?

I will admit, though, that thise with accelerated metabolisms have a very difficult time building muscle.

I'm quite slim now and have an athletic body, as opposed to my overweight high school years, but I still weigh 188 lbs.

If I weighed 152, they'd have to take me to the hospital or read me my last rites.
 

Shawn

, Grandmaster Elf , Overlord (GEO), , snkusa.com
Joined
Aug 11, 2000
Posts
2,500
Argentina94 said:
Wow, you're incredibly light. How tall are you?

5' 8" barefoot, not counting hair (to scalp). The 152 body weight is the morning naked weight. Not the end of day, full belly & fully clothed gym weight of 157 to 158.

Using body weight calculators with my stats I'm right on target:
Peoples Choice Ideal Weight: 152
Medical Recommendation: 125 - 164 lbs
Metropolitan Life tables: 148 - 160 lbs
Other IBW formulas: 151 lbs

Keep in mind that the average weight for men aged 20-74 years rose dramatically from 166.3 pounds in 1960 to 191 pounds in 2002. Although 191 may seem like the norm now, so is a spare tire around the waist. Source.

To put things into perspective, 5' 10" Colin Farrell got down to 144 lbs for Miami Vice to look athletic and tone and 6' 1" Nicolas Cage was 166 lbs for World Trade Center.
 

Robert

,
20 Year Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
Posts
5,748
I'm 26 and I can feel a slight decrease in my drink resistance. Except this, I'm fine.
 

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Posts
8,012
Shawn said:
Source[/URL].

To put things into perspective, 5' 10" Colin Farrell got down to 144 lbs for Miami Vice to look athletic and tone and 6' 1" Nicolas Cage was 166 lbs for World Trade Center.

Damn they are rails. Maybe the camera adds 10 pounds like they say.
 

kernow

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Joined
Sep 1, 2001
Posts
31,183
Shawn said:
5' 8" barefoot, not counting hair (to scalp). The 152 body weight is the morning naked weight. Not the end of day, full belly & fully clothed gym weight of 157 to 158.

Using body weight calculators with my stats I'm right on target:
Peoples Choice Ideal Weight: 152
Medical Recommendation: 125 - 164 lbs
Metropolitan Life tables: 148 - 160 lbs
Other IBW formulas: 151 lbs

Keep in mind that the average weight for men aged 20-74 years rose dramatically from 166.3 pounds in 1960 to 191 pounds in 2002. Although 191 may seem like the norm now, so is a spare tire around the waist. Source.

To put things into perspective, 5' 10" Colin Farrell got down to 144 lbs for Miami Vice to look athletic and tone and 6' 1" Nicolas Cage was 166 lbs for World Trade Center.

..You still dig girls right?
 

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Posts
4,021
:lol:

it's all relevant to your childhood...were you fat? maybe considered portly? fat through highschool and college? wise up when you realized you couldn't get laid and lost 60 lbs? now your in the best shape of your life...
 

Shawn

, Grandmaster Elf , Overlord (GEO), , snkusa.com
Joined
Aug 11, 2000
Posts
2,500
kernow said:
..You still dig girls right?
My girlfriend, Valerie, is 5' 5" and weighs 105. By today's standard that weight probably seems grossly underweight for a young female, but by a model's standard that's right on target. Yes, I dig Valerie very much. :)
 
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
Posts
3,903
Shawn said:
My girlfriend, Valerie, is 5' 5" and weighs 105. By today's standard that weight probably seems grossly underweight for a young female, but by a model's standard that's right on target. Yes, I dig Valerie very much. :)

I wouldn't consider her underweight. My wife Laura is 5' 7" and weighs 110lbs. We have two children as well.
 
Top