Weekly Roundup

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Pocket Fighter - this is a Christmas game, and I'm not wrong.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow - the old Game Boy game. Easier than I remember it. Unfortunately too simple for its own good, could have done more with the grappling hook gimmick.

World Heroes - how did this become one of my favorite Neo games

+1 on the World Heroes vibes

That soundtrack on Ninja Gaiden Shadow on gameboy is way better than it has any right to be. Stage 4 was an old favorite of mine:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
PS5 - Andro Dunos 2, RE2 Remake - AD2 is oldschool great, really fun hori, must have missed the praise when it came out coz I don't hear anything about it. RE2 Remake I've just started, looks awesome, really looking forward to playing it proper. Haven't played RE2 when it was new, wasn't a day-one fan of the series tbh, it took RE4 on GC to drag me into it.

Atari 2600/7800 - Berzerk Enhanced, Dark Chambers - Berzerk Enhanced (2600) is the new version that came out lately, really great update with speech and some more good stuff. Dark Chambers (7800) is the forefather of Gauntlet, has a similar setup but some special quirks that make it a bliss to play. Good graphics too, sound could be better.
Andro Dunos 2 is great

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Looks like it's pretty cheap on Steam right now... might just have to do it.
Oh! It's on sale on the PS Store so I have it on PC and console now. I enjoy this version of Sam Sho and sure hope it gets a proper chance when the next iteration comes out.

My list:

PC
Quake 1:
went to my btother's house and we all had hand held pcs. We got on to Quake 1 and found there was a cool Horde Mode. It was 30 min of fun.... And deathmatch of course.

PS5
GG Strive: Season 3 has been amazing. Huge updates and feels like a turbo version of the game with moves added to each character and rebalance.

SF6: Still trying to get into this. My barrier is the drive rush combos, need to spend a few hours grinding on this.

VF US: Vibrant online community with Akai_JC hosting lots of NA league play.

FF16: in love with this game.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Oh! It's on sale on the PS Store so I have it on PC and console now. I enjoy this version of Sam Sho and sure hope it gets a proper chance when the next iteration comes out.

My list:

PC
Quake 1:
went to my btother's house and we all had hand held pcs. We got on to Quake 1 and found there was a cool Horde Mode. It was 30 min of fun.... And deathmatch of course.

PS5
GG Strive: Season 3 has been amazing. Huge updates and feels like a turbo version of the game with moves added to each character and rebalance.

SF6: Still trying to get into this. My barrier is the drive rush combos, need to spend a few hours grinding on this.

VF US: Vibrant online community with Akai_JC hosting lots of NA league play.

FF16: in love with this game.
I constantly pingpong between weather OG Quake or DooM is the 🐐 of FPS.
I never seemed to be able to get into GG no matter how hard I tried.
I'm not really feeling SF6 either.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hammerin' Harry - the original Irem arcade game. Been playing this on and off for over a year now but always ran out of time each time I picked it up to beat it, glad I had some time tonight to go and do just that. Challenging but never overly frustrating, and some really cool examples of early physics with objects. What was Irem trying to say with this game though? I swear they put a message in this game that only they know about. The main villain is a construction company and the last boss throws dollars at you. A wild game that apparently that had a bunch of handheld sequels, the most recent being that PSP game that came out almost 15 years ago. The boys at Irem were gods of the arcade.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Xbox Series X
Yakuza Like a Dragon - fantastic game. Love the charm and the battle system is snappy for a turn based RPG.

PS3
Final Fantasy XIII - replaying this with the wife, it's honestly not as bad as people made it out to be back in 2009 or whatever. I acknowledge that the battle system opening up took way too long and some story beats are convoluted, but the paradigm shifting and stagger meter feel good.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Steam/PC

Fallout 76 -- Somehow this game is actually pretty damn good now.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Xbox Series X
Yakuza Like a Dragon - fantastic game. Love the charm and the battle system is snappy for a turn based RPG.

PS3
Final Fantasy XIII - replaying this with the wife, it's honestly not as bad as people made it out to be back in 2009 or whatever. I acknowledge that the battle system opening up took way too long and some story beats are convoluted, but the paradigm shifting and stagger meter feel good.
Which Yakuza Like a Dragon game do you recommend to start with? I'm on the verge of playing the Shenmue series again and I'd like to avoid it - too much waiting around and sleeping to trigger events. I have a PS5 & PC.

FFXIII was a rough one. I keep wanting to revisit it, but have so many other Final Fantasy games to play first. I just got a weird one Strangers in Paradise for PS5 I think I'm going to try when I finish up FFXVI. I really want to get through FFXIII so I can play the spin offs.

This week:
PC / FightCade: Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Did a Super Turbo tournament (Retro Rival Online) and had some fun. Won 2, lost 4 so didn't place that well, but in the end it was a lot of fun. I play all of my fightin games with a leverless controller now (HitBox) so that makes me special. ST is such a hard game - I suck at it but at least the rounds are quick and the pain is over fast.

PS5: Guilty Gear Strive Signed up for a tournament in Seattle at the end of the month so I'm back on Strive training mode trying to nail down some more skillz. Learning to do dash cancel stuff with Ramlethal and it's very difficult for my old man reflexes.

Weirdest part about playing these fighting games is that most people are so young. I'm consistently the oldest person (born 1980) and have to watch myself when I reminisce about the old days.. as a majority of the people there are born after 1991 when SF2 came out. Just surreal that their backlog of awesome fighting games is before they were born. Gonna go yell at some clouds now.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Which Yakuza Like a Dragon game do you recommend to start with? I'm on the verge of playing the Shenmue series again and I'd like to avoid it - too much waiting around and sleeping to trigger events. I have a PS5 & PC.

FFXIII was a rough one. I keep wanting to revisit it, but have so many other Final Fantasy games to play first. I just got a weird one Strangers in Paradise for PS5 I think I'm going to try when I finish up FFXVI. I really want to get through FFXIII so I can play the spin offs.

This week:
PC / FightCade: Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Did a Super Turbo tournament (Retro Rival Online) and had some fun. Won 2, lost 4 so didn't place that well, but in the end it was a lot of fun. I play all of my fightin games with a leverless controller now (HitBox) so that makes me special. ST is such a hard game - I suck at it but at least the rounds are quick and the pain is over fast.

PS5: Guilty Gear Strive Signed up for a tournament in Seattle at the end of the month so I'm back on Strive training mode trying to nail down some more skillz. Learning to do dash cancel stuff with Ramlethal and it's very difficult for my old man reflexes.

Weirdest part about playing these fighting games is that most people are so young. I'm consistently the oldest person (born 1980) and have to watch myself when I reminisce about the old days.. as a majority of the people there are born after 1991 when SF2 came out. Just surreal that their backlog of awesome fighting games is before they were born. Gonna go yell at some clouds now.
We started with Yakuza Kiwami, fantastic story but it was clear that it was an open world PS2 game in terms of map size. Like a dragon is a spinoff not really related to the main story, but it's fantastic so far.

Kiwami and zero are basically the best ones, so you can't do wrong with either one.

I will say that 13 is not the best, not even in top 5 but it's definitely not the worst. I enjoy it for what it is, definitely more than I thought I would

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member

Yakuza: Like a Dragon or Yakuza in general?

Either way, you can go right to the first Like a Dragon since it's a branch of the main series with its own unique cast (for the most part) or go to Yakuza 0 (canonically the first of the series) or Yakuza Kiwami (the remake of the first made Yakuza game.)

Hans

In my bathroom I pee sitting. No splashing
Goob of the Year
Thought I'd share some thoughts on a game I beat this week.

Mafia: Definitive Edition
Xbox Series X

I'd been eyeing this remake since it came out, as I had played and thoroughly enjoyed Mafia 2 on the 360. Picked it up this christmas, and damn, the story, and especially the characters, are all top notch. The comradery between Tommy, Paulie, and Sam is so tightly crafted that I started to feel these were my own buddies: shooting the shit and poking fun at each other while driving around the city. Only difference is, in my case, we'd be on our way to the liquor store, while they're on their way to commit highway robbery. The intense and emotional ending even had me holding back tears as everything came to a conclusion. The game's visuals are also great, no complaints there, aside from the occasional pop in of cars or NPCs.

The game ain't perfect though. The shooting, while crunchy and satisfying, isn't very fleshed out, and feels dated at times, largely due to the somewhat awkward cover system. This led to a few frustrating deaths. There is also juuust a bit too much of it.

It's also a bit unbelievable to have Tommy single-handedly murder half the police force in the gameplay, then have him immediately return to the grounded and believable crime drama that is the story, where characters die from one bullet.

But nit-picks aside, this is about as good as it gets for mafia themed games.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
PC

SSF2T on Fightcade

Crazy how well this works online. Been playing against people all over the world and lag has been minimal to non-existent. Really getting into this game and trying to learn it proper; it is still insanely fun to this day.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS5
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - there's a lot going on that it can be overwhelming at first but it gets easier overtime. Love the graphics and smooth gameplay

Xbox Series X
Yakuza Like a Dragon - made it to chapter 3, wish the cut scenes were shorter so I could actually play the game

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4

Dragon Quest XI- They've really managed to keep the classic look and feel of the series, it's about as old school of a modernization as you can get. Gameplay is almost exactly the same as the old games which is both a pro and a con. I wanted a "cozy" jrpg to slowly plug along at during these bad weather months and this fits the bill nicely.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
SNES Classic

Legend of Zelda LttP - Recently realized that I've never really beaten any of the games on the mini (other than SFIIT). Trying to play more of the stuff I've got, rather than buying shit 'n just letting it collect dust.
SFIIT - Just a few quick rounds of this. Kinda one of those games it's fun to play when you don't want to engage your brain at all. Even with the slower reflexes of middle age, and the fact I haven't been playing many games here recently, let alone fighting games, I barely have to turn on my old gray matter to play SNES Street Fighter.

@BlackaneseNiNjA and @LoneSage, either of you guys play World Heroes 2 Jet on Super Gameboy with two players? Surprisingly fun for such outdated tech. Just great when publishers go the extra mile on something, that I'm willing to bet, almost nobody used at the time.

PS - World Heroes is one of my absolute favorite Neo games. It's just (silly) fun to play.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SNES Classic

Legend of Zelda LttP - Recently realized that I've never really beaten any of the games on the mini (other than SFIIT). Trying to play more of the stuff I've got, rather than buying shit 'n just letting it collect dust.
SFIIT - Just a few quick rounds of this. Kinda one of those games it's fun to play when you don't want to engage your brain at all. Even with the slower reflexes of middle age, and the fact I haven't been playing many games here recently, let alone fighting games, I barely have to turn on my old gray matter to play SNES Street Fighter.

@BlackaneseNiNjA and @LoneSage, either of you guys play World Heroes 2 Jet on Super Gameboy with two players? Surprisingly fun for such outdated tech. Just great when publishers go the extra mile on something, that I'm willing to bet, almost nobody used at the time.

PS - World Heroes is one of my absolute favorite Neo games. It's just (silly) fun to play.

Yo whats up fenikso. Since I didn’t know anyone else who had these gameboy games, the super gameboy was the only feasible way to play these fighters 2-player back in the day with my siblings, cousins, and friends. Having 2 gameboys, 2 copies of the game, and a link cable just wasn’t gonna happen with any game that wasn’t pokemon lol

I think I remember the gameboy version of WH2Jet having some interesting versus mode handicap options allowing you and the other player to adjust your speed, defense, attack, etc (I don’t recall the speed option making that much of a difference whenever we picked it though lol).

Loved WH2J and used to play a lot of the gameboy version back in the day since it was the only way to carry the game with you and for how well the gameplay was converted to the handheld.

These days, when I revisit the GB Takara fighters, it’s usually on a Super Gameboy. Though admittedly, I usually play the more unique fighters in the Takara GB lineup like the Beast Wars fighting game (which is also Super Gameboy compatible featuring the same enhanced sound effects, boarder, etc that the Takara Nettou fighters had).

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
@BlackaneseNiNjA That's cool, man. I didn't really get into the OG GB until after the fact (was always more interested in the Game Gear at the time), so for me it seems very novel that they included this extra feature. Pretty cool to know there were people out there actually playing two player at the time of release.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
PS5:

Tekken 8
I’m an hour into Tekken and it feels pretty good. The netcode is kind of holding up, not as good as Strive and SF6 so far.

The graphics seem good and it feels very “solid” with some new mechanics and things. The new characters seem cool and overall the graphics are outstanding.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
PC

SSF2T on Fightcade

Crazy how well this works online. Been playing against people all over the world and lag has been minimal to non-existent. Really getting into this game and trying to learn it proper; it is still insanely fun to this day.

FightCade is the best. Retro Revival is running an online tourney series in FightCade that is pretty rad. Insane how good people are on there.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
1/28/24

PS4
Varth

Switch
Retrobowl

Rush Rally Racing 3 - For an indie rally game this is quite fun. It’s not licensed but it has depictions of all the famous rally cars and racers - Race against Colon McCray lol

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
DQXI--Started this over again after getting 20+ hours in years ago and am having a blast with it. I'm at 30 hours now and it's just such a refined and perfected JRPG that it's still fun despite being fairly basic.

Dissidia (PSP)--A bit wonky to play at first, but once you get used to it it is really fun. Tons of solo content and the interface/design is some top-tier work.

SSF2T--Chose to main Honda so I've been playing with him a lot.