Thinking of getting CDZ, what games are perfect ports?

RXBANDIT

Zero's Secretary
I want a CDZ but only want games for it that are perfect ports from AES / MVS versions. So games with no objects or animations missing that play as well as the original AES / MVS cart versions.

Please list games for me that are perfect ports, thanks.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Crossed Swords 2
Samurai Shodown RPG
Iron Clad

That's it. ;P

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Puzzle Bobble only loads initially, and is fine .

Theres a lot of very playable neo-cd games however I wouldn't say they are 'perfect ports' because they all mostly have animation cuts, loading, or other issues.

Its still a great system though. I used to play AOF3 on mine just because it was the only way I could, and the loading wasn't THAT bad.

Metal Slug and MS2 are fine too really, they still look great. Pulstar is good, viewpoint is fine, etc.

Deuce

LB1 (and 2, I imagine) is missing the energy animation on Lee's throw. Also, most of Amano's death screams (various womens' names) have been cut down to 1.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
awakened kaede on lb1 is a totally seperate character also.

I wouldn't personally bother with LB1/LB2, KOF98, 99 etc.

But thats not to say there aren't gems worth playing on it.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Metal Slug and MS2 are fine too really

+1

I just did get my CDZ up and running. After playing weeks of MS and MS2 on MVS, they hold up really well on the CD. The art galleries are great, Combat School is a blast and there really isn't that much loading (beginning of stage for 1, 2-3 small loads per stage in 2). Plus, there's a bunch of exclusive artwork on the load screents etc., and you can rip the soundtrack since it's redbook. If you really want a CD then the Slugs are a given. :buttrock:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
awakened kaede on lb1 is a totally seperate character also.

I wouldn't personally bother with LB1/LB2, KOF98, 99 etc.

But thats not to say there aren't gems worth playing on it.

LB1 and LB2 have CD quality arranged sountracks - pretty worthwhile to pick them up for that if anything.

The loading is 100% terrible on both units.

And you have a limited selection of "good" games.

I'd personally pick one up though.

Its very fun to collect for.

The funny thing about the CD library - older titles such as Fatal Fury are a bear to track down.

There is a Robo Army CD on ebay right now that I'd pick up if I owned a CD system.

You won't find that too often.

Puzzle Bobble is the better of the games, load wise on the system.

And there are some decent titles in the NeoStore that are sealed on the cheap.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Games which are close enough to perfect (as far as not many (or no) noticeable objects missing/animation frames missing):

Alpha Mission 2
Crossed Swords
Cyber Lip
Fatal Fury
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
NAM-1975
Thrash Rally
KOF94 (the only KOF without loading times between rounds)

games with missing animation frames and/or smaller sprites:

AOF3
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
KOF99

Basically earlier games(ie games which have lower meg count in MVS form) in fighting, action(shooter), sports, puzzle genres are likely to have little animation/spite size problems.
Later fighting games (eg about after mid-90's)(with higher meg counts, and special graphical effects) are more likely to have problems.

Last edited:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Neo Turf Masters is also playable. You can unlock the hidden course "Scotland" by beating all 4 courses (only for NGCD version)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Old games, especially ones with only initial loads, should be considered perfect. The only difference is that many of them use redbook CD audio for the music (often just a recording of the cartridge music) due to the Neo CD's low audio RAM.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Old games, especially ones with only initial loads, should be considered perfect. The only difference is that many of them use redbook CD audio for the music (often just a recording of the cartridge music) due to the Neo CD's low audio RAM.
is there separate RAM for audio? or did SNK trade off having more sprite size/animation/loading problems in exchange for having redbook sountracks(using general RAM)? it sucks if they did- better to have the game closer to arcade perfect instead of having better redbook sound (better to have the original arcade soundtrack instead).

Deuce

is there separate RAM for audio? or did SNK trade off having more sprite size/animation/loading problems in exchange for having redbook sountracks(using general RAM)? it sucks if they did- better to have the game closer to arcade perfect instead of having better redbook sound (better to have the original arcade soundtrack instead).

There is separate audio RAM (SSRPG uses mostly synthesized music, like the carts), but most games use redbook audio. It's a way of cutting down significantly on load times.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Don't forget about Zintrick, a neat puzzle game with little loading.

Personally I don't like playing the fighting games on CD, the load times are killer, especially with KOF where it needs to load between characters:oh_no: Some of the arranged soundtracks are cool though.

I have one and fire it up occasionally to hear the nice CD quality audio, but aside from a few exclusives it can't touch a good 4-Slot MVS.

RXBANDIT

Zero's Secretary
Is it not possible that maybe one of you clever people could upgrade the RAM somehow thus reducing the load times?

Has anyone tried this?

jediurchin

Crazed MVS Addict
You could upgrade the ram but getting the machine to recognise it and use it is a whole new ball game! It would be like re-making the neocd from scratch. The drive also is only single speed which is a major factor in the read times.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Baseball Stars 2 on NGCD has a more accurate play over the ROM version. Yes, you can actually hit a triple in the NGCD version!
BB

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
NGCD games are no ports, they all play like the homecart or MVS versions because they run on the same hardware base.

Some of them have missing objects and animations, but the latter only goes for menu anims or stances, never gameplay-related chara anims or something like that.

Some CD games also have extra play modes, that's why for me, stuff like the NGCD version of Neo Turf Masters, Trash Rally or Twinkle Star Sprites are way better than the carts, not to mention the audio tracks you get with most NGCDs that can be played in your standard CD player.

If you can stand the load times (newer games like the LBs or later KoFs are nothing for the impatient), a NGCD/CDZ will give you as much fun as any other Neo variant, at least it does for me since the mid-90s. I also have a homecart system but if I had to chose between the two, I'd take the NGCD and never looked back.

RXBANDIT

Zero's Secretary
You could upgrade the ram but getting the machine to recognise it and use it is a whole new ball game! It would be like re-making the neocd from scratch. The drive also is only single speed which is a major factor in the read times.

HMMM but not impossible, would you not be able to swap the cd drive for a faster one maybe too?

I know its like rebuilding the whole neo geo cd but peoples main gripes seem to be loading times so perhaps worth doing if possible.

jediurchin

Crazed MVS Addict
I think also this was discussed before, Sadly its not like simply changing a drive in a pc. You need firmware and the neocd most likely wont be able to utilise the extra speed of the drive without a crapload of coding! Not impossible but improbable! :glee:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
NGCD games are no ports, they all play like the homecart or MVS versions because they run on the same hardware base.

Some of them have missing objects and animations, but the latter only goes for menu anims or stances, never gameplay-related chara anims or something like that.

Some CD games also have extra play modes, that's why for me, stuff like the NGCD version of Neo Turf Masters, Trash Rally or Twinkle Star Sprites are way better than the carts, not to mention the audio tracks you get with most NGCDs that can be played in your standard CD player.

If you can stand the load times (newer games like the LBs or later KoFs are nothing for the impatient), a NGCD/CDZ will give you as much fun as any other Neo variant, at least it does for me since the mid-90s. I also have a homecart system but if I had to chose between the two, I'd take the NGCD and never looked back.

You called it Trash Rally :crying:
(I just put it in my four slot :emb: )

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
heh yeah. I can't remember if driftout is on CD or not actually, think it is. But its not cheap on that either, nor is overtop.

Every CD owner should have viewpoint too.

jediurchin

Crazed MVS Addict
Check and check. Not got viewpoint yet though. Didnt really like the whole isometric control thingy. Will have to get it at some point for completeness though :glee: