The Oregon Trail

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html

Computer class in elementary school. Good Times.

diedofdysentery.jpg

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Ironically enough, I was using DOSBox last night to play this game as I waited for something to install on another computer. :drool:

That's really cool to be able to do it online, though. I've always thought (somewhat sarcastically) that an Oregon Trail massive-multiplayer-online game could be really interesting. Or even LAN, for that matter, so kids at school could "set out toward Oregon" at the same time but take a different path to get there.

"Let's meet up at the Snake River Crossing, man!"
"Oh, no! Was that Dave's caulked wagon that just sunk?"
"That damned Indian took three pairs of clothing and he won't even help my starving party find wild fruit, now?!"
[/nerd] :buttrock:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
"You have died... of AIDS. And so did everyone else in the caravan. Including all of the under-aged boys. Good luck explaining that one to St. Peter, you sick fuck."

That's what it would have said if I could have had my way programming it.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Ironically enough, I was using DOSBox last night to play this game as I waited for something to install on another computer. :drool:

That's really cool to be able to do it online, though. I've always thought (somewhat sarcastically) that an Oregon Trail massive-multiplayer-online game could be really interesting. Or even LAN, for that matter, so kids at school could "set out toward Oregon" at the same time but take a different path to get there.

"Let's meet up at the Snake River Crossing, man!"
"Oh, no! Was that Dave's caulked wagon that just sunk?"
"That damned Indian took three pairs of clothing and he won't even help my starving party find wild fruit, now?!"
[/nerd] :buttrock:

The mac version back in the 90s had a lan feature that was really cool.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Used to love Oregon Trail for sure.

We also had this archeology game in middle school where you could excavate shit and find all sorts of ancient greek artifacts and whatnot. Not quite as cool as OT because no one ever died and you didn't get to shoot any buffalo still fun.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Wow, I just played that for 2 hours.

Thanks for the share.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
It told me I needed Java.
I added a java package to the machine and it crashed Firefox.

I'll try in another browser later on.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Managed to get all the way to Oregon with one person alive. I lost one early on and then lost the other three when our wagon decided to tip over in 7 feet of water. Good times.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I wish I remembered what the name of the game was, but I remember playing this game a lot back in junior high school on Apple computers. You played a trucker who had to go cross-country to deliver goods, and you had to make sure you ate, slept and took care of yourself... or else you would crash your truck.

It was a lot like Oregon Trail. I thought it was called "Trucker" but I guess that wasn't it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i want to play number munchers and see if i can beat it.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I blame Oregon Trail for my shitty keyboarding/typing skills. :mad:
Back when everyone else was paying attention and learning to type properly in elementary school, my ass was in the back hunting for food in Oregon Trail. Who cares if you can only carry 100 pounds of food, I continued to hunt away! Ah... some good memories.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
There was a game we used to play back then called MathBlaster, I think. It had something to do with robots. Anyone remember that game? It was around the same time as Oregon Trail.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We always screwed with the teacher's options. Nothing's more thrilling for a 6th grader than sitting in the back of the classroom playing a dirty version of Spellicopter.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I tried games other than Oregon Trail at that site last night.

The program they use seems to have nothing but scorn and ire for my want to use the directional keys of my keyboard.
Wither I choose keyboard or joystick for any game, my touchpad was the only device that seemed to move any character..

Joy. And. Rapture.

What fun it was to try and play Pac-Man, ALF, or Mario Bros. when I could only move left or right in Pac-Man, not up or down; or have the touchpad decide it wants to behave as a scrollbar and not a mouse when trying to move up or down.

..Alright, so diagramming the previous sentence may prove a tad hazardous, but I think you'll get the idea.

I'm not sure how close I got to Oregon, because I don't recall having used the map screen once.
When I set out, I set the rations to meager and the pace to grueling.
That is, until characters started getting fevers. That's when I set rations to filling and attempted to find an option for warp-engine turbines. Fortunately, the game has no such option.

I did manage to loose three of five characters, though. So, my attempt to have monorail passage of oxen through adventureland seemed to have been futile enough to merit everyone dying eventually anyway.

I remember playing later games where you could treat the ailments, like snake-bites or measles.
I tried hitting Enter as soon as I had one of those status ailments pop-up and it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't know if I was approaching the problem the wrong way, but, there you go.

I started as a banker and thought it would be funny if I could set my food supply "Over Nine THOUSAND!", but was quickly told that the wagon would only carry two thousand pounds of food.

Apparently, I couldn't forgo extra wagon-wheels or oxen to give more food.
Nor, it seems, could I slaughter any of my own oxen... not that I looked that hard.

Oh well. I have the site bookmarked now.
It still won't run in firefox.
I do, however, have it running in Epiphany, which wikipedia would have me to believe is a webkit browser. So, Chrome, Safari, Konqueror, Arora (If you've taken mail-order lessons to get the qt-snapshot installed to run any plugins), etc.

I'm sure it not running in firefox is a bug in my system config. But, solving those things takes time and effort I just don't feel like putting forth for Apple II games.

Last edited:

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
weird, it ran on my firefox, but none of the other games I tried ran. *shrug*

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
My first Oregon Trail was on an Apple IIe in like 3rd grade I think...good ol green screen and 5 1/4's those were the days.