The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think it would have been better to just release the Garou team on the house since it's being released literally one month after the game comes out.

The rest, sure, charge for them a la carte or season pass since they're clearly still being developed.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Tasteless practices. Videogames as a service. Open ended to boot. Plus lazy pandering.
Gobble gobble

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Remember, friends dont let friends pre-order games.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Dude, the game isn't even out yet and they're already selling you extra content. Doesn't it seem a little exploitative? I have a problem with the lack of taste here on display, money isn't really an issue, we used to pay 200 dollars for homecarts when those came out new and I was all for it.

If you don't think that content was lopped off of games and saved to be sold to you later in the old days, I've got bad news for you. The only difference is that now they plan out a content road map ahead of time and announce what they're going to work on once they complete the day one game. It's a marketing strategy. So you can get pissy because they spoiled the surprise for you but nothing has changed about how development is conducted.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't care and I wish I did and all of this marketing crap doesn't help. One thing I'm ok with though is that I'm not the target audience and haven't been for years. And I do have to stop complaining on here. It's dumb

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I like pre-ordering usually at least a few weeks in advance so I can pull up to my local Best Buy the day of and let them toss it in the back seat. I didn't know I was doing something bad.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Normally I'd agree, but we know exactly what we're getting with this game thanks to the trailers, two open betas, and it being their flagship release. This isn't going to be an Aliens: Colonial Marines or Anthem type deal.

This and Sam Sho were the only two games I've prerecorded in the past 5 years.

Review/footage capture embargo has been lifted. IGN's review below.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

Every (bad) practise we have witnessed change over the gaming generations for the consumer can be traced back to the advent of pre-orders.
Retailer specific costumes, missions etc. Games being shipped broken.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Considering the accomplished return of Ash, possibly some dimensional-space-time-souleater entity or something.

My guess is also for the appearance of "Gaia" as a final boss (possibly even on the next installment) to be a creation-destruction goddess superior to both the Orochi clan (East) and Those From That Distant Land (West).

Just my 2cents tho.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Midboss I guess:

b74c90n05vg81.jpg

23d1ypo05vg81.jpg

Final boss I guess:

hpys8lf05vg81.jpg

faujz1l05vg81.jpg

Or, maybe just the contrary, huh?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Every (bad) practise we have witnessed change over the gaming generations for the consumer can be traced back to the advent of pre-orders.
Retailer specific costumes, missions etc. Games being shipped broken.

Nothing quite says "useless to this conversation" more than a 10-year-old Kotaku article.

Games shipping broken has nothing to do with pre-orders. That's the advent of hard drives in consoles, the ubiquity of internet connections and the subsequent ability to easily patch games post-launch. Rather than delay a game further and incur the wrath of crying children on social media (and potentially missing their fiscal year financial goals), developers/publishers just send what they have to manufacturing and continue working on the game with the hope that they'll have it done before it hits the shelves. Most of the time they make it, sometimes they don't. If pre-orders suddenly went away, that practice wouldn't change.

Pre-ordering is, and always has been, stupid. But most of the things that Kotaku Man whined about in that article are irrelevant. Retailer-specific DLC is a dead concept (DLC in general is completely different than it was 10 years ago). There aren't demos anymore because they determined pretty quickly that the effort used to produce them didn't net them enough additional sales to warrant it.

Kotaku Man was just pissy that no one gives a shit what reviewers think anymore.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
PS: MotW and South Town teams are part of the deluxe edition (plus 3 days early access)

Turns out the early access part (which unlocks
tomorrow) applies to the consoles version only (PS / XBox).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I pre-ordered the disc version, so I'm waiting for Thursday. It's a shame they punish customers for buying the physical version.

THEMAN

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I preordered it on amazon a while back and just got a delivery update email from Amazon.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Midboss I guess:

b74c90n05vg81.jpg

23d1ypo05vg81.jpg

Final boss I guess:

hpys8lf05vg81.jpg

faujz1l05vg81.jpg

Or, maybe just the contrary, huh?
Other way around.

Lots of vids on Youtube now for folks that want to spoil everything.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Mmmmh, surprisingly enough, the game ending(s) look like this saga ending (which would be one chapter ahead of standards) and the whole KOF story ending (a certain someone being told "okaeri" [welcome back] by his gf). And btw, final boss is basically a crystal version of:

Lm%2C.png

while the basic storyline is but a more juvenile and romantic version of Leona's story.

Ok.

Yeah, and we know now that Orochi seal is OnePiece Poigne Glyph stuff. LoL Antonov and all the O.P. references since Ralf's gatling (gom-gom) punch.

No wonder SNK and KOF are no longer my cup of tea since quite a bit, huh. I'm too old for this kinda stuff. I can get it, but not like it.

Which is no big deal by the way. Hope everybody enjoy the game. :-)

Fygee

20 Year Member
Quick observations.

Game looks, plays, and sounds fantastic.

Story Mode is pretty meh. Mid-game cinematic is the same for everyone. Midboss gets thrown at you with the same cinematic each time. Only a few teams have a little extra dialogue. Final boss pulls an FF9/Necron by just showing up without explanation or dialogue. No prefight story at all. Endings for teams are too long and drawn out with too much text that just fills time/space. Standard Neo-Geo arcade team story style, no modes like SF5 / KOF XIII story.

Final boss is really cool and fun to fight, but still super cheap as per tradition.

Playing this on the XSX. Both the thumbstick and d-pad are god awful for this game. Lots of problems with QC x 2 and occasionally HC motions. Played the betas on my PS4 and had no problems. Gonna look into a fight stick.

Haven't bothered with online yet.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Playing this on the XSX. Both the thumbstick and d-pad are god awful for this game. Lots of problems with QC x 2 and occasionally HC motions. Played the betas on my PS4 and had no problems. Gonna look into a fight stick.
Haha. Big mistake. Don't even try it. Hopefully the Series X D pad doesn't break as easily as the Xbox One pad. I haven't tempted fate by using mine to play a 2-D game yet.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Haha. Big mistake. Don't even try it. Hopefully the Series X D pad doesn't break as easily as the Xbox One pad. I haven't tempted fate by using mine to play a 2-D game yet.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to snag a PS5 yet, got real lucky with the XSX last year. My hope was also to have XSX/PC cross play so I can only buy it once and play it on both, ideally my PC arcade rig with proper sticks. Doesn't look like KOF supports that yet.

Kinda blows my mind how bad this thumbstick and d-pad are for fighting games.