The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Unfortunately I haven't been able to snag a PS5 yet, got real lucky with the XSX last year. My hope was also to have XSX/PC cross play so I can only buy it once and play it on both, ideally my PC arcade rig with proper sticks. Doesn't look like KOF supports that yet.

Kinda blows my mind how bad this thumbstick and d-pad are for fighting games.
Yeah, unfortunately console crossplay is still quite rare. Samurai Shodown also didn't have it. For what it's worth, I'm getting the Series X version, and won't be able to play against my brothers like we did on KOF XIV. Although for that one I had to buy a PS4 basically just for that, so you win some you lose some.

I got a nice Xbox 360 Razer Atrox when they were closing them out, and then I got a Brook 360>Xbone adapter for it, which is my Samurai Shodown setup, so I'm all set.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Oops, we were wrong. Microsoft pads are the best actually I guess.

Untitled-2.png

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I love it when people say it's dumb to preorder games...then, preface it with "except Atlus games or, a limited edition." That is basically all I preorder. Thankfully, I did it with all the recent Ys games, most of which are over $100 each now.

This game, on the other hand, I imagine will be easily obtainable by walking into walmart or, Gamestop.

Jon

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I love it when people say it's dumb to preorder games...then, preface it with "except Atlus games or, a limited edition." That is basically all I preorder. Thankfully, I did it with all the recent Ys games, most of which are over $100 each now.

This game, on the other hand, I imagine will be easily obtainable by walking into walmart or, Gamestop.

Jon

Believe it or not, KOFXV is at #8 on the Steam top global sales list. I didn't expect it to even break the top 20 on PC, so that says something. I don't think physical copies will be scarce in the wild, as you said, but the game is getting more traction than I expected as well. I suspect the solid netcode has a lot to do with it. I'm having a hell of a time so far. ^_^

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Believe it or not, KOFXV is at #8 on the Steam top global sales list. I didn't expect it to even break the top 20 on PC, so that says something. I don't think physical copies will be scarce in the wild, as you said, but the game is getting more traction than I expected as well. I suspect the solid netcode has a lot to do with it. I'm having a hell of a time so far. ^_^

#1 in the US and #2 globally when I just checked. Here's to hoping it's a big success so they can keep the lights on/make things that aren't KoF.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I cant fathom people pre-ordering games under any circumstances other than the very occasional "highly limited quantities" scenario. Even then the same arguments against pre-ordering apply...

I will stop sidetracking this thread and make a new one for discussion.

Very happy the KOF15 is doing well. I will wait for comprehensive reviews before purchasing. I hope some of you also do the same 👍

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Very happy the KOF15 is doing well. I will wait for comprehensive reviews before purchasing. I hope some of you also do the same 👍
Hey whats up xb74, honest question…

Why wait for a review/someone else’s opinion when the modes list, details, and online playable beta was available for free for so long? The gameplay has been free to try for a long while and many of us have been demoing the game since the free open demos from last year.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member

Why wait for a review/someone else’s opinion when the modes list, details, and online playable beta was available for free for so long? The gameplay has been free to try for a long while and many of us have been demoing the game since the free open demos from last year.

To @BlackaneseNiNjA point - Just like the 90's, mainstream game critics generally don't know fighting games. If you're just dipping your toes into the genre and you are looking for a plethora of single player content, mainstream reviews may help. For anybody even remotely knowledgeable about fighting games, though, I think you'll find most of the reviews out there lacking. ;)

100proof

10 Year Member
I'm farting around with it this morning between work meetings. It definitely has a cleaner look than XIV. No one's going to confuse it with Guilty Gear or other graphics showcase games but it's totally serviceable. The interface is nice too. Changing characters and missions in the tutorial modes happens very fast (no obnoxious transitions), the UI is clean and unobtrusive and the PC version has really nice scalability (you can run it in as low as 480x360 and people have mentioned being able to get it up and going on 5-year-old potato laptops with APUs).

Damage output is definitely higher than XIV and being able to do EX moves outside of Max mode is gonna make for some filthy combos. I've already seen 1-meter combos with Vanessa and others that do >50%. Don't particularly care for the new characters (Ilsa looks fucking stupid and her moves have goofy hitboxes, Dolores looks awesome but her moveset does nothing for me) but at least they ditched most of the characters I hated from XIV (Paula Paula can eat a fat dick).

I've seen people complaining about the "story" mode just being a handful of fights with an opening and closing CG scene and a bunch of special endings for certain themed teams but KoF always had minimal storytelling and the lore was always shoved between the cracks. Haven't fought the boss yet but I heard she's cheap as shit (as an SNK boss should be). I do like that they did more character pre-fight intros even if a lot of them are nonsensical. KoF was one of the first games to really lean in to the special character interactions and it's good to see that coming back.

I'll have more to say after a few days worth of play (you can't really judge a fighting game until people start breaking it open) but this is definitely a much better product than 14 and, so far, a better game.

Edit:

This. I can understand wanting to gauge the general reactions from fans but in addition to all of this, the full game's been out in the wild for a week. There's a metric ton of gameplay and reactions from everyone from online websites (which who gives a shit what some dummy from IGN thinks?), serious fighting game players and SNK fans.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Best Buy did me wrong. I had it pre-ordered at my local Best Buy. Last minute I got notification that "it's taking us longer than expected to get your pre-order ready" and when I checked which branches had it in stock, only their main flagship store was listed as having 2 copies, with my branch getting them Feb 26. So I switched my order to the main store and picked it up there. Apparently this game may not have been stocked at most locations. So take that as you will -- either there's an unexpected supply shortage or the game's not being treated as a major release worthy of stocking at all branches. I remember pre-ordering Mega Man 11 from Best Buy -- with that one they said it would only be at the main branches from the start of pre-orders.

I did a quick search, and Walmart and Target are not stocking it in stores in the US. It's not clear from Gamestop's web site, but you'd think they would have had a few in stores today.

As for the game itself, there is a distinctive semi-cell-shaded look to the graphics that really pop on a 4K screen.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm going through the Omega version now. Minor but annoying screwjob... apparently, they couldn't get the CD cases ready in time, so the soundtrack CDs are contained in white envelopes. This means that the track listing that is usually on the CD case itself is nowhere to be seen, so there's no way to download the metadata or program it in to your music player. So, it's 'mystery music' for now until someone has time to use the in-game DJ functions to capture the track listings then upload them to a metadata site.

Everything else looks fine and still looking forward to the game once it finishes installing.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Update: I did some stick testing on PS5. PS4 sticks and pre-PS4 sticks using Brooks converters are no-go as expected. However, Mayflash F300 with current firmware + Magicboots is working. Seeing as how the PS5 Horis haven't dropped yet, Mayflash 300s/500s with either Magic-S Pro or Magicboots converters may be the only sticks you can play the PS5 version on, unless I'm missing some option. This is some crazy world we live in. Sony nuked all the existing Playstation sticks and literally no one replaced them in the first year of the system, except for some random Chinese company that figured out a converter solution.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I'm really enjoying this so far. I didn't hate XIV by any means but I really feel like this is an improvement in every way possible. I've had the game for several days now, got the early access version on Series X, but now that it's the weekend I'm really pumped to put in some major time with it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
No time to go through 30+ pages, but can anyone tell me if this is on Gamepass?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Update: I did some stick testing on PS5. PS4 sticks and pre-PS4 sticks using Brooks converters are no-go as expected. However, Mayflash F300 with current firmware + Magicboots is working. Seeing as how the PS5 Horis haven't dropped yet, Mayflash 300s/500s with either Magic-S Pro or Magicboots converters may be the only sticks you can play the PS5 version on, unless I'm missing some option. This is some crazy world we live in. Sony nuked all the existing Playstation sticks and literally no one replaced them in the first year of the system, except for some random Chinese company that figured out a converter solution.

I have HRAP4 and Hori Edge (PS4). Both work directly on the PS5 versions of Strive and KOF15. I also heard brooks work on them, but didn't try them personally.

The input lag on KOF15 for PS5 is noticible for me though. I hope it gets patched soon.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'm really enjoying the game. I'm sure people who follow my posts on this are tired of hearing me say it, but if you're shitting on the graphics... I tried setting the output of the Series X to 1080p and no HDR, and it looks noticeably much worse on my Samsung Series 8. It really pops in HDR. And the comparisons with GG Strive are unfair, given the very different art style.

This situation is cryptic to me. I wonder if the controller issues along with the input lag have driven more to the Xbox version, as well as the PC. I seem to have no chance of getting my brother's PS2 HRAP working on the PS5, but it works fine on PS4. It's really bad policy to drive players to your older console.

I have HRAP4 and Hori Edge (PS4). Both work directly on the PS5 versions of Strive and KOF15. I also heard brooks work on them, but didn't try them personally.

The input lag on KOF15 for PS5 is noticible for me though. I hope it gets patched soon.
Unfortunately, I think if the PS5 version lag problems could simply be patched out they wouldn't exist in the first place. GG Strive suffers from a similar problem on PS5. This whole controller lag situation reminds me of KOF XII and XIII on the PS3. Hope I'm wrong.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, I think if the PS5 version lag problems could simply be patched out they wouldn't exist in the first place. GG Strive suffers from a similar problem on PS5. This whole controller lag situation reminds me of KOF XII and XIII on the PS3. Hope I'm wrong.
I'm reading up on the input lag situation on eventhubs and resetera now. What a mess. The point I see coming up again and again is that it isn't a limitation of the PS5 hardware. There's some problem with the engine that fighters use on PS5.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I'm reading up on the input lag situation on eventhubs and resetera now. What a mess. The point I see coming up again and again is that it isn't a limitation of the PS5 hardware. There's some problem with the engine that fighters use on PS5.
They're both unreal ... that's pretty terrible, iirc it was an issue with all versions of sfv too (also unreal), but they eventually cut a frame or 2 off.

With any deferred renderer you were pretty much always going to be 1-2 frames minimum (1 frame for renderer, 1 frame for v-sync if not a sync match or fps fluctation - basically if lucky/unluclky). I wonder if there's another frame buffer now for something like scaling to 4k/dynamic resoltion and/or downsampling to improve aliasing/sampling... Perhaps one additional one kicks in for ps5 vs. ps4 - seems from reddit below that might be true if my French is correct; ps4 on ps5 is better than ps5 native (?).

... This is exactly the kind of feature(?) you are vulnerable to when you adopt someone else's engine...

The most comprehensive comparisons so far:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/sv3k3d
PC users with any issues seem to be turning off v-sync in the following file:
C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\KOFXV\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

100proof

10 Year Member
You should always buy fighting games on PC at this point for exactly this reason. Ignoring the better scalability and that you never have to worry if your controller/stick will be compatible, between your television, your console and engine issues, every game seems to have 6+ frames of input delay at this point.

Back in the day, it was an actual choice because half of the games didn't come out on PC (or took years to get ported) but everything does at this point. Even obscure Japanese stuff.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Despite me originally spitting out my drink, I think it's probably easy to overract to this; this is all based on 60fps? So tbh you could probably drop 4 frames without any real impact on feel assuming most humans are going to 'react' around 10 ticks in second? Plus you want to be really sure of testing methodology I'm assuming this may actually includes any kind of contributing lag - which would be the only way to look at system differences.

6 @ 60 fps, six frames == approx 0.1 seconds / 100ms ish... which is right on that feel end of the spectrum.

Clearly half that total would be the pretty much 'ideal' ... especially if that was a 'total' for the display/system...

(Apparently same was pretty much the same was true with tekken 7, also unreal)

Disclaimer; I've not been playing these recent(ish) games... so can't really comment on what they're actually like to play, but yeah you really want to be around that 0.05s mark to keep everything just feeling perfect imho... Especially if you add another 0.05 - 0.1 for the vagaries of online play...

Didnt think it was worth starting a new thread but saw on snks Twitter page that they're using the unreal engine on a "unnamed new title"

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
So annoyed I order an omega collectors edition and the shits lost in the mail. All I can do is just refund it.

Anyone know where I can get another copy for xbox at only retail cost?