Student loan payments are starting up again soon

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My point was that it would be horribly ironic that someone who was forgiven their debt would eventually use their position to gate someone out from a chance - nothing more. It's not intended to be a "war on education" stance, just a thought.

Do you understand there's algorithms that tell them who to screen out at the gate and it gets almost almost everybody?
It's not personal, it's a poorly written line of script.
Then when you meet them for an interview chances are they're still too lazy to have read your resume.
Often times in interviews when they ask, why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself, frequently I say no, why don't you tell me little bit about myself?
Almost every-time they scramble and say they've been busy and haven't had a chance to review the applicants yet.
I mean come on it's your job, do your fuckin' job.
Go figure, my whole life has been me followed around by screw-ups worried about if I'm working hard enough or doing things right.

You still haven't explained why this is bad?
Why is it horribly ironic?

consider the future where literally only privileged people will even have the option to take said shitty loan. If it gets to that point, (and many will agree we have reached it) companies will be seen as beyond biased because they won't hire people that literally can't afford to get to school, or who decided it was a bad deal from the start.
Sorry this whole argument is flawed. We aren't at that point right now. Obama unleashed all kinds of grants, scholarships, work studies and so on. Anybody who wants an education can get one. They have entire departments of financial aid and counselors to make sure where there's a will there's a way.
And that's how we got to this point.

If you wanted to you could weed people out who went to public or private schools.
Assuming that well off people that don't have to worry about money go to private schools and people who would have to work, pay it off or parents are strapped are more likely go to public ones.
I don't see it but you never know.
I didn't know recently in life that they check out your neighborhood.

I do know another reality is there's a cookie cutter mold and if you don't fit in it they aren't interested.
Why do you have a lapse in employment?
Why did you graduate later in life?

Why have you bounced around so much?
"How have I bounced around I've had several jobs for 8-12 years?
-Yeah but in different fields

Here's what I saw last year for decent jobs:
Looking for someone with a PHD, 8 years field experience and 8 years using our proprietary software.
Oh yeah BTW we really want someone 25 years old so we can work them 40+ years (but we can't ask them that)

We're into Asian culture here on this board and have discussed the lost generation in Japan.
It's pretty rigid. You go to HS school, graduate from college and they draft you into the corporation, you work there 40 years.
Anybody who deviates from this is cast off from society and unemployable.
Not that much different here.

Anecdotally my personal experience is many of the people who have jobs I want don't have a degree.
They got their job from friends or family.
Some have might have certificates or unrelated education like sociology or teaching.
I am in the midwest and most young adults move off after graduating but from my viewpoint you're just spewing out bullshit.

Also how did I drag in race/socio economics into it?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Do you understand there's algorithms that tell them who to screen out at the gate and it gets almost almost everybody?

Yes of course I understand this, the criteria for said algorithms however will have been built upon what they are looking for specifically/generically.
Everything is personal whether you care to admit it or not and your experiences and examples reflect that. There are certain biases at play all the time because it's human nature but we're veering off course.

I didn't think I'd have to explain this honestly, if you don't see it that's fine - it's not worth expanding upon.

Sorry this whole argument is flawed. We aren't at that point right now. Obama unleashed all kinds of grants, scholarships, work studies and so on. Anybody who wants an education can get one. They have entire departments of financial aid and counselors to make sure where there's a will there's a way.

The argument is flawed, yet we are discussing forgiving loans for people who make less than/up to $125,000 individual or $250,000 household. That threshold is rather high, and it encapsulates all types from low to middle income. Clearly it's not sustainable if people making this amount of money can't crawl out or need the relief.

Post 172/174 - Perhaps you were just asking into the ether, I don't really know.

from my viewpoint you're just spewing out bullshit.
We've reached a point where it's anecdotal vs anecdotal, except mine is bullshit, there is no fundamental problem at all apparently so this is where I'll stop wasting my time.
Hey, you obviously put in the time to get where you are at, and intended to pay back the loans which is commendable (and if you might recall I did say higher education has it's place). I'm still going to maintain that there are plenty of jobs across multiple sectors that don't need the paper and the debt they come in with. It's not a war on education it's fucking common sense.

I'm happy that people are getting a form of relief in the short term, but I also think that something has to be done going forward. We are completely reactionary around health and education in this country as it slips away, becoming more and more expensive for everyone.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Hypothesis: Higher education in America is a scam.

Evidence: Xavier has an MBA.
I'd never thought I'd say this but I'm glad we went to college.
Yeah Yeah, it's like now I have the skills for todays workplace.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I didn't think I'd have to explain this honestly, if you don't see it that's fine - it's not worth expanding upon.
Yes that's what I've been asking you to do, please explain it, posts #174, 176 and now 182
I don't see it and was hoping you could explain it, seems to be your main premise.
I appreciate how you've returned with eloquent speech but I am in search of real substance.
I believe you could be a great politician or maybe a lawyer.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Then when you meet them for an interview chances are they're still too lazy to have read your resume.
Often times in interviews when they ask, why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself, frequently I say no, why don't you tell me little bit about myself?
Almost every-time they scramble and say they've been busy and haven't had a chance to review the applicants yet.
I mean come on it's your job, do your fuckin' job.
Go figure, my whole life has been me followed around by screw-ups worried about if I'm working hard enough or doing things right.

If you wanted to you could weed people out who went to public or private schools.
Assuming that well off people that don't have to worry about money go to private schools and people who would have to work, pay it off or parents are strapped are more likely go to public ones.
I don't see it but you never know.
I didn't know recently in life that they check out your neighborhood.

I do know another reality is there's a cookie cutter mold and if you don't fit in it they aren't interested.
Why do you have a lapse in employment?
Why did you graduate later in life?

Why have you bounced around so much?
"How have I bounced around I've had several jobs for 8-12 years?
-Yeah but in different fields

Here's what I saw last year for decent jobs:
Looking for someone with a PHD, 8 years field experience and 8 years using our proprietary software.
Oh yeah BTW we really want someone 25 years old so we can work them 40+ years (but we can't ask them that)

We're into Asian culture here on this board and have discussed the lost generation in Japan.
It's pretty rigid. You go to HS school, graduate from college and they draft you into the corporation, you work there 40 years.
Anybody who deviates from this is cast off from society and unemployable.
Not that much different here.

Anecdotally my personal experience is many of the people who have jobs I want don't have a degree.
They got their job from friends or family.
Some have might have certificates or unrelated education like sociology or teaching.
I am in the midwest and most young adults move off after graduating but from my viewpoint you're just spewing out bullshit.

as a foremost expert in asian culture, stfu.

in asian culture, you would've already been discarded in the sewers to die or live your life as a street urchin if you somehow survive.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
No there's tons of different certificates in say SHRM, PMP or thousands of different ones in tech and they make much more than $40k a year in an office environment.
this bolded statement right here already tells me you are out of your element and have no idea what you are talking about.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Anyways I look her up on LinkedIn, she's a twenty something who's last job was at Aeropostil.
She tried starting a wedding planning business and has a certificate in event planning.
That's it, that's her work and education experience and she tells me I don't have any skills.
again, signs of mental illness and/or retardation that you felt the need to do this.

at some point, you'll maybe realize that you aren't as smart as you think or likable. unfortunately, for you, people want to like or feel comfortable with the people they work with. perhaps you will eventually look at yourself with as much scrutiny and come to some sort of self awareness.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Yes that's what I've been asking you to do, please explain it, posts #174, 176 and now 182
I don't see it and was hoping you could explain it, seems to be your main premise.
I appreciate how you've returned with eloquent speech but I am in search of real substance.
I believe you could be a great politician or maybe a lawyer.
worst attempt at haiku i have ever seen.