Souls-likes

greedostick

George Spiner's Caddy
15 Year Member
About to fight Ornstein and Smoug today for the first time, went with a strength build using the Black Knight Sword mostly for it's speed and power. I'll probably be on this boss for the next week seeing how others reacted to them

O&S is definitely your first true test. The second is Four Kings.

I remember my 1st blind play though of DS, I entered the O&S fight thinking that it must be one of those parts in a game where you are expected to die, like the first boss. Boy was I wrong. My second thought was that this has to be the most epic fight in a game ever. Definitely mind-blowing for the time, and still is.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier mugenmonkey. Check it out! It has the top builds listed for each souls game, and build creators. Very nice tool!

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
15 Year Member
Ringed City is still terrible. I would love to FINALLY beat Gael, but Christ are the ghost archers cheap. Was a bit stoked to beat the Demon Prince for the first time last night then bashed my head on the dumb summoner for about an hour today, killed him once and got the drop but died from a stray arrow so no progress.
Dude, skip the summoner and go around. There's a bonfire a little ways after him that you can come back from for a more manageable fight.

Reactions: jro

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yeah they are embers, but you don't wanna do that if you are going straight dex. You want only titanite. Now you could +15 that katana with only titanite, and pump at least 30 in faith, and use buff spells like sunlight blade until you get darkmoon blade. Also think about a sword called Falchion. Its tits for faith dex builds.

Fire will also remove your dex scaling, and will upgrade further to Chaos. Which scales off of how many humanity you have popped (number in corner of screen).

Learn from any mistakes, and 3/4 of the way through the game you will start thinking about new builds, and how you can do it better next time. That's part of the fun.of the game. So take what I say with a grain of salt and have fun.

Sunlight medals are covenant items, you trade em.

Don't worry about the flask upgrade. Kinda sucks but you will survive.

Graveyard is 50 steps from firelink bonfire. Go in door where pool is, look left. Go in small door.

Buy pine resin for fire buffing for now. Save lightning resin for fore bases bosses.
I don't think I'm going "straight Dex" per se, but do you mean that if I use embers on the katana they will stop scaling w. Dex entirely ? I'm only concerned if my Dex stat suddenly becomes a complete waste if I take the katana on an elemental path . Cuz yeah I wanted to do Chaos because that shit sounds dope. I have not even gotten into understanding spells, or weapon spells . Chaos scaling sounds insane though seeing as Humanity seems like a bitch to get, and the stakes are high if you die and fail to recover humanity/souls.

I haven't strayed far from balancing Dex/Str, they are only a few points apart still but I don't want to skimp on Vit since I suck and I ruined my flask upgrade, so maybe I should balance Str and Dex? I kinda really dig katanas and wouldn't mind staying with them. But I also want to test out the Zwiehander, thanks for the tip on getting to the graveyard hahahah I'm so stupid.

I don't understand covenants. Or trading items to them.

greedostick

George Spiner's Caddy
15 Year Member
I don't think I'm going "straight Dex" per se, but do you mean that if I use embers on the katana they will stop scaling w. Dex entirely ? I'm only concerned if my Dex stat suddenly becomes a complete waste if I take the katana on an elemental path . Cuz yeah I wanted to do Chaos because that shit sounds dope. I have not even gotten into understanding spells, or weapon spells . Chaos scaling sounds insane though seeing as Humanity seems like a bitch to get, and the stakes are high if you die and fail to recover humanity/souls.

I haven't strayed far from balancing Dex/Str, they are only a few points apart still but I don't want to skimp on Vit since I suck and I ruined my flask upgrade, so maybe I should balance Str and Dex? I kinda really dig katanas and wouldn't mind staying with them. But I also want to test out the Zwiehander, thanks for the tip on getting to the graveyard hahahah I'm so stupid.

I don't understand covenants. Or trading items to them.
I think you should be OK if you go Chaos then. Its been a few years since I played last, but I think Chaos weapons scale off whatever they scale off normally, and your soft humanity number in the corner of the screen. You might wanna research that deeper.

I would also locate the Estoc, Claymore, Falchion, Washing Pole, and Chaos Blade Just to test out the movesets and see if you like them. If you play again you can transfer that weapon to a friend, then back to a new character.

Honestly from what you are saying the Chaos Blade seems like what you would like. Its a Katana, and it's an amazing weapon for PVP, and a first run through in PVE. It loses effectiveness in NG+ and forward, but It's a super fun weapon. One of my favorites actually. It's definitely an intermediate to advanced weapon though. It chips damage from you as you use it, plus you cast Power Within for 40% more damage, which also chips your health, but you hit like a truck. Plus it looks bad ass.

The way you build a character in most instances, is all about your weapon. You find a weapon you like, then you think about how you will build your character exactly for that weapon.

You don't wanna use faith or sorcery, then you're gonna leave your Katana as a dex scaling weapon, and plot points in Dex all game.

You wanna be a full blown mage that weilds an uchigatana? Then you only plot the exact str and dex stats to weild the weapon, and ascend it later. Once you finally ascend it, it will do nice damage, just not god tier, but your magic will be. Perfectly viable, and often used route.

You wanna be a mage/dex hybrid? Then you put 40 in dex, and take weapon to +15. Then put maybe 30 in Faith so you can buff the hell out of the weapon. This route you sacrifice running around 24/7 with a super powerful weapon, in exchange for a decent weapon, that when buffed is God tier for 1-2 min.

So just keep that in mind for future playthroughs, and this game play it blind and learn from your mistakes. 100% research the Chaos Blade though. I think you will love it.

If you decide you wanna research it, here is the link: https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Chaos+Blade

It is a weapon you can miss permanently in a play through, so up to you if you wanna see how to get it.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Cool, thx. Yeah Im super casual, like dumb bimbo level for real, so its usually a turn-off to think too much about a game for me. NG+ or 2nd play, maybe I'll start trying diff stuff but I'm kinda busy here and there, low attention span, etc.

So I'm focusing on fun :) I do want to avoid screwing myself or doing something retarded though

jro

Gonna take a lot
15 Year Member
Dude, skip the summoner and go around. There's a bonfire a little ways after him that you can come back from for a more manageable fight.
OMG thank you, I somehow didn't think to try that. Got past it and now am getting my ass kicked repeatedly by Gael but quite happy about it!

Reactions: SML

jro

Gonna take a lot
15 Year Member
FINALLY finished off Gael and The Ringed City (ty @SML !). Cool level, I admit. Nasty bosses w huge HP. Now to get through Elden Ring. Oh yeah also beat Soul Cinder again, kind of easy to forget him compared to Gael.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
15 Year Member
Stranger of Paradise is basically what we got instead of Nioh 3 and it's aggressively fucking terrible. Square sells their franchises and devs to buy NFTs I suppose this makes sense.

It's awful. Hard to believe Nioh and Nioh 2 led to this. Don't play it.

Edit... It's bizarre how ugly this is. Looks like an early 360 game at best, frame tanks often on performance mode on PS5. Bad game.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
15 Year Member
OKAY! I put another 10 or so hours into Stranger of Paradise, figured I should be thorough.

It still completely sucks donkey balls. It's from the same dev team that made two of my, I dunno, top 10 or so favorite games of all time in Nioh and Nioh 2, and it's just complete and utter trash. I guess Squeenix's latter-day budgets generally mean zero QA, as is pretty clearly evidenced in this. Level design is beyond bad, copy-pasted rooms for miles and zero markers to tell where you've been or should go, and then completely pointless shortcuts that put a rest cube next to another fucking rest cube. The level design, more than anything, just consistently ruins the game, makes it completely unfun to play.

Difficulty balance, also terrible. SoP bases its difficulty curve on equipment, not player level, which makes the "recommended level" of missions a joke since you can level your gear to the mission's level in about three minutes if you can kill a couple guys. Then the rest of the level will be easy as shit, until you hit the boss, which will mash you very, very quickly, and you get set back to the surprisingly badly set checkpoints. And the bosses have at least two forms, with the second being very different than the first, so good luck learning the second form if you die on the first one a few times. Honestly, the difficulty on the bosses is just completely off, very easy to just blast through the main level than have zero chance on the boss.

So you can set the difficulty to Story Mode AKA you nutsac you. Makes almost every encounter retardedly easy, as it's supposed to I guess, but of course manages to rob the game of any sense of accomplishment and is just WILDLY off, in terms of balance, from the rest of the game. Like, you put the it on Story mode 'cause fuck this trash dev work, nothing else. And the levels aren't any better beforehand of course.

And also it runs like total shit. Performance mode on PS5 drops frames, absolutely cannot maintain 60 fps. Image quality mode or whatever seems to run at 30 fps pretty much, but seriously, Nioh 2 on PS4 Pro ran better.

So... SoP, which is made by the same team that made Nioh and Nioh 2, is one of the worst games I've played in a long time. I'm not sure if Sqeenix's tiny budget for it was mostly to blame, or just general incompetence from the devs, but it's really, really bad. I mean, like put the dev team out of business bad.

Was trying to get loose ends tied up before Elden Ring but this is just sad. To think that this is one of the few franchises Square apparently kept.

edit: from what I can tell, I'm about half way through the second-to-last level. Usually fucking grit the teeth and all that, but this is just so bad that I don't think I will.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
15 Year Member
Finished SoP. Still trash. Gonna blame Squeenix for this one given how much better Nioh is.

jro

Gonna take a lot
15 Year Member
Currently trying and failing to get into Dolmen. Even by jank souls standards it's awful. Zero weight to moves, bad balance, terrible level design. Hellpoint of all things is vastly is superior.

Gentlegamer

Dodgeball Yakuza
So what I gather is that no souls-like is actually any good. The only one I tried was Lords of the Fallen and it was quite meh. It seems like most devs miss the point, including some FROM devs like Tanimura.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
I recently went through Blasphemous, I had actually forgotten I got it cheap on Steam, so I went through it. It was fun, but maybe I just don't really like 2D souls-level difficulty games.