Retro Rumble!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
KLAX...a game I'm extremely familiar with. Ouch on the 5k diagonal. Key to game: 3 of a kind = 1 klax, 4 = 2 klax and 5 = 3 klax. Also another key for high scores is to make multiple klax combos which can be done by holding multiple tiles on your controller. Flipping one down making a klax, you can move the controller with the next tile and make another one for 2x value and so on. At the beginning of the game, choosing the higher level would be tougher since there's more colored tiles involved but then you get the wild tile and passing it involves hundreds of thousands of points however doing it in a minute...hard but not impossible.

Again...another great season and look forward to Season 3 :)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I love this show, Loopz! I can't wait for season 3. This should be your full-time job!

Massive thanks. The show would not be possible without my homeboys Ed and Aaron back in Tucson. Right now we're planning some cool shit for Season 3, the idea being to sort of ramp up the intensity a bit and and make the end a bit more high-stakes and skill-based. We will be back with a vengeance in the summer.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
He would have gotten 5K instantly, and a bunch more for the round clearance bonus as that would have ended the round immediately (it gives you points for all the empty space in the grid). It would have sealed the deal for him.

Cool. I think it would have been good to spell it out even greater for the viewer at the end with a replay. Watching Aaron play, I didn't even realize he missed something until they spoke about it at the end, and so at that point I reviewed Aaron's play and noticed James'(?) reaction, but I was still left with question marks in my head. The ending was kind of presented more like a fighting game where someone says with false belief, "If I did [or didn't do] X I would have won".

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Cool. I think it would have been good to spell it out even greater for the viewer at the end with a replay. Watching Aaron play, I didn't even realize he missed something until they spoke about it at the end, and so at that point I reviewed Aaron's play and noticed James'(?) reaction, but I was still left with question marks in my head. The ending was kind of presented more like a fighting game where someone says with false belief, "If I did [or didn't do] X I would have won".

FS, that's a VERY valid point. We're going to experiment with our narrative model a bit this next go-round. I think key moments like that definitely need to be emphasized. One of the difficulties we have had is the fact that Ed and I have basically had to get together and edit these over chat with just him at the controls. Sometimes you're trying to convey abstract ideas that would be SO much easier to communicate in person. But we have learned SO much from these past two runs, and I like where this thing is going.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
At least this time around there wasn't a clear winner until the end of the final round, unlike the last season.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Actually, last season, if Whitelaw had scored enough for 2nd place, he would have knocked Aaron out and Kris would have won.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
. . . and I like where this thing is going.

. . . and so do many of us. Thanks for being open to a little positive criticism.

I was thinking to entice the contestants to use their vetoes, perhaps they could veto a play. They could take a mulligan and try again for themselves, veto someone else's play if you think they just got lucky, or veto someone's play because you want that person to have a another chance of beating the third contestant's score (to bring them down from 5/6 pts to 3, or 3 to 1). That could make for some dynamic swings and strategy.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I was thinking to entice the contestants to use their vetoes, perhaps they could veto a play. They could take a mulligan and try again for themselves, veto someone else's play if you think they just got lucky, or veto someone's play because you want that person to have a another chance of beating the third contestant's score (to bring them down from 5/6 pts to 3, or 3 to 1). That could make for some dynamic swings and strategy.

That could be a crucial part of strategy in a contest like this if such a factor was used, especially when you're dealing with old games that I've seen played that the players had no idea how to play it or what to do. Watching the first player struggle through the controllers and such on a game is funny but it gives the other two players a huge advantage since they can learn off the mistakes of said player. That may not be a bad idea at that, ForeverSublime.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I thought veto can only be done after a game is selected, but before the first guy begins his play.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I thought veto can only be done after a game is selected, but before the first guy begins his play.

You're correct. Only 1 of 3 players used the veto this season, and 2 or 3 in the first season. It's sort of like a playtest session where game developers put in a feature, and the players aren't using it for some reason so there's some dynamism that's being lost that the designer wanted to achieve. I think part of the reason is what Arcademan said - that more often than not the players don't know the game, so they have little reason to veto without being able to calculate the cost/benefit.

Not knowing the game is actually a nice thing about the show, because the players can say the first things that come to their mind when they see the game, which is usually worth a laugh. That's where I feel the shared experience that I wouldn't feel watching superplay videos.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
. . . and so do many of us. Thanks for being open to a little positive criticism.

I think that's a great idea to expand the veto power to individual plays as well, whether it be your own or a competitor.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Am I dating myself when I say I know and played every video game in the video?

Looking forward to the next season and I swear, one of these days I need to travel down the I-10 and get in on some of this :buttrock: