Recommend me the best 80s anime

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
It's a 70's anime, but it's in the spirit of the thread.

Casshern is being released on DVD/Blu-ray, the original series (Casshan is the name it's being released under). I'm picking this up and Casshern Sins finally, looking forward to making my way through the series.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's a 70's anime, but it's in the spirit of the thread.

Casshern is being released on DVD/Blu-ray, the original series (Casshan is the name it's being released under).
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I owe you one.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Just watched Space Adventure Cobra. Pretty good. Kinda weird. Cool psychedelic scenes.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I don't feel like scouring the thread, but the "Golgo 13: The Professional" movie was always one of my favorites.

Do I have shit taste? Prolly.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The Queen Bee was the only Golgo 13 ep I've seen. One's plenty though.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I don't feel like scouring the thread, but the "Golgo 13: The Professional" movie was always one of my favorites.

Do I have shit taste? Prolly.

Nah! That movie is classic. One of the first anime with CG in it. Golgo 13 is awesome. The more recent TV/OVA is a bit better but you can't beat that old Theatrical Release.

I was not a fan of Queen Bee at all. Felt flat to me.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I will never in a million years get people's attachment to that Streamline dub.

As someone who grew up with Streamline releases and prefers it, I'd chalk it up to nostalgia.

While I can deal with the newer dub for Akira, if you try to tell me that any dub other than the Streamline release for 3x3 Eyes is superior, I will cut you.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
As someone who grew up with Streamline releases and prefers it, I'd chalk it up to nostalgia.

While I can deal with the newer dub for Akira, if you try to tell me that any dub other than the Streamline release for 3x3 Eyes is superior, I will cut you.
ANYTHING for which there is an alternative to ANYTHING Streamline, the alternative is always superior. If you want to cut anything, how about the umbilical cord connecting you to that bloated and diseased whore, Streamline?

edit: whoops, except Laputa. Well there goes my credibility.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Speaking of Streamline Dub tracks, what's y'all opinion on Fist of the North Star's Streamlilne Dub? It still cracks me up after all these years. :)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Speaking of Streamline Dub tracks, what's y'all opinion on Fist of the North Star's Streamlilne Dub? It still cracks me up after all these years. :)

i got a splttin headache

on par with riding bean's dub, honestly

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

so bad it's good.
for better or worse, there will never be dubbing jobs done like Streamline anymore so i cherish the one's we got!
that said, Manga's dub of Mad Bull 34 also ranks up there a "winner"

geise

Mickey's Coach
Some that I liked that I don't believe was mentioned:

Guyver
Dagger of Kamui
Lensman
Dallos
They Were 11
Five Star Stories
BAOH (end of 80's)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Guyver
Dagger of Kamui
Lensman
Dallos
They Were 11
Five Star Stories
BAOH (end of 80's)

I loved Five Star Stories. I wish the anime would have finished the story :(

Naika

Street Hoop Star

Guyver
Dagger of Kamui
Lensman
Dallos
They Were 11
Five Star Stories
BAOH (end of 80's)

Dagger of Kamui still ranks as my most beloved depiction of ninja, while Lensman was righteous. Good choices!!! The Baoh OVA was damn good too.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
tl;dr

Has anyone mentioned Yawara? That show is pretty good.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
If the original Akira dub didn't have Cam Clarke in it then I don't think it would have been as memorable. There's just something about hearing the voice of Leonardo in something like Akira.

I've been trying to get back into Gundam, sucks all of the DVD's have long since been out of print and it's not aired on Toonami anymore. I miss when they used to play the OAV's and the original 70's series...and kinda stopped halfway through. Is there any place like Hulu, CrunchyRoll where you can watch any of them online or is it pretty much look for bootlegs at this point?