Recommend me the best 80s anime

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
If the original Akira dub didn't have Cam Clarke in it then I don't think it would have been as memorable. There's just something about hearing the voice of Leonardo in something like Akira.

I've been trying to get back into Gundam, sucks all of the DVD's have long since been out of print and it's not aired on Toonami anymore. I miss when they used to play the OAV's and the original 70's series...and kinda stopped halfway through. Is there any place like Hulu, CrunchyRoll where you can watch any of them online or is it pretty much look for bootlegs at this point?

Ebay or bootlegs for now. Unfortunately Bandai is dumb so Gundam fans have to suffer. I am glad I got mine when I did.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Wicked City

Also watched Kiki's Delivery Service last week which was pretty nice (I usually don't like ghibli movies)

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Wicked City

Also watched Kiki's Delivery Service last week which was pretty nice (I usually don't like ghibli movies)

If you haven't already, give Porco Rosso and Laputa a shot.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Also, I watched F-91 last month. It was decent, but wasn't what I expected for the "final" piece in the UC timeline. Sadly, that marks the end of my Gundam viewing. I'm not interested in any non-UC stuff or anything from the 2000s onward.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Despite the teen angsty shit, Gundam SEED and Destiny were really good, I thought. I've heard there are other good ones, like Turn X maybe, but if they're never officially subbed, I'll never watch them.

fake

15 Year Member
Despite the teen angsty shit, Gundam SEED and Destiny were really good, I thought. I've heard there are other good ones, like Turn X maybe, but if they're never officially subbed, I'll never watch them.

I can't imagine getting into SEED or Destiny. I'd love to watch Double Zeta, Turn A, and Victory Gundam, but they never got translated and I'm not sure if I want to subject myself to fan subs.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Right, Turn A ;)

I'd love to watch all three series you mention. Not going to happen unless they come out officially though.

fake

15 Year Member
Totally. Looks like Bandai has abandoned home video, though. Such a bummer.

fake

15 Year Member
They're still doing merchandising and toys. And games under Namco Bandai. No video though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I can't imagine getting into SEED or Destiny. I'd love to watch Double Zeta, Turn A, and Victory Gundam, but they never got translated and I'm not sure if I want to subject myself to fan subs.
Victory has very good fansubs and is one of the best Gundam tv shows of the franchise. I'd rank only Zeta and the Original as objectively being better than it. So I'd recommend going ahead and tracking that down.

And on a side note, F91 is NOT the final UC timeline installment. Victory takes place another 30 or so years after F91 and is part of the same continuity.

Turn-A is also one of the better series, but unfortunately the only subs out there at the moment are horrific. Still worth watching, though. It's probably the most unusual Gundam series and the last one so far done by original creator Tomino (with Victory being his second-to-last-so-far Gundam series).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The first half of the Space Adventure Cobra TV series was released recently and the second half is coming out in May. Crazy how with the decline of DVD and waning BD sales there seems to be a huge surge of cult/old school anime getting released. I can't complain.

Patlabor, Dirty Pair, Cutey Honey, Lupin, Ranma etc.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Is the publisher doing Cobra the same one that was doing Galaxy Express 999? Because they had a dvd boxset of the second half of that series in the works as well, but it got cancelled due to low sales of the first boxset.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Also, I watched F-91 last month. It was decent, but wasn't what I expected for the "final" piece in the UC timeline. Sadly, that marks the end of my Gundam viewing. I'm not interested in any non-UC stuff or anything from the 2000s onward.

The last half of F91 looked stunning but I agree, the story was a little soft.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
And on a side note, F91 is NOT the final UC timeline installment. Victory takes place another 30 or so years after F91 and is part of the same continuity.

There's also Unicorn. With a story that is confusing as heck and has its seventh and last volume coming out in a few months.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The last half of F91 looked stunning but I agree, the story was a little soft.

The problem with F91 is that it was meant to be an entire series. When those plans fell through, they tried to condense an entire series worth of plot and character arcs into a single movie.

The story works a little better if you imagine time passing in between certain scenes. Meaning, instead of each event following immediately after the last, you allow for the months that would have gone by during the course of a full series. That would make a lot of the character choices and actions feel more natural and be based on something. Like Cecily gradually becoming acclimated to the Crossbone society, Seabook slowly growing into a pilot and whatnot, rather than everything happening at once.

But yeah, as the movie stands on its own, it's got beautiful animation (the blu ray looks stunning if you ever get a chance to see it) but the story is a bit soft.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There's also Unicorn. With a story that is confusing as heck and has its seventh and last volume coming out in a few months.
But although produced last, Unicorn takes place before F91 and Victory. Unicorn is kind of a continuity implant by a different writer. I've been enjoying it, but imo, it's to Tomino's UC Gundam series & movies what the EU is to Star Wars.

fake

15 Year Member
Ah right - I was thinking F-91 was the furthest in the timeline because it was the furthest that I was planning to watch. I really don't think I'd like anything made in the late 90's / 2000s. But I'd consider the Victory fan-subs. How do I know if I find the good version?

fake

15 Year Member
The first half of the Space Adventure Cobra TV series was released recently and the second half is coming out in May. Crazy how with the decline of DVD and waning BD sales there seems to be a huge surge of cult/old school anime getting released. I can't complain.

Patlabor, Dirty Pair, Cutey Honey, Lupin, Ranma etc.

How is the TV series? I liked the movie, but it was a little weird.

What new Dirty Pair came out? I have the two TV series box sets (parts 1 and 2) as well as the movie and OVA DVDs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ah right - I was thinking F-91 was the furthest in the timeline because it was the furthest that I was planning to watch. I really don't think I'd like anything made in the late 90's / 2000s. But I'd consider the Victory fan-subs. How do I know if I find the good version?
I don't know of more than one version out there... If you look for one and find something, that's probably it.

As for Cobra, the tv series follows the comic more closely. The movie gets pretty surreal. Although I like that about it.

fake

15 Year Member
I don't know of more than one version out there... If you look for one and find something, that's probably it.

As for Cobra, the tv series follows the comic more closely. The movie gets pretty surreal. Although I like that about it.

Ok thanks. I'll take a look.

I didn't mind that cobra was surreal. I actually really liked that. I think the story itself was kind of out there and flimsy.