Questions on "Freaked" Homecarts

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
So recently I bought a KoF 99 English homecart with no signs of NGF shenanigans and was wondering if that makes it suspect... I know there is a very long history behind NGF and all I'm interested in knowing is:

-what homecarts got regularly freaked?

-what are the signs or markings of a freak job?

-Are there titles that NGF had total exclusivity on?

The only completed KoF 99 Eng homecart listing on ebay was freaked, but the cart pic on N-G shows a clean cart.

Appreciate any wisdom or experience on this

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
After all these years of watching new eBay listings, I'm starting to think either freaking was very uncommon, all freaked cartridges have since been destroyed, have stayed in private collections or it was all a myth perpetuated against Neo Geo Freak.

As in, I almost never see actual Neo Geo Freak-altered games. There was once a Blue's Journey with one NGF sticker on it from the UK though.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Since 2010 when I got back into AES, I've seen ... a dozen freaked carts on ebay?

So yeah, it doesn't seem that common, but it did happen.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
In all my years with AES stuff, I have never ran into one.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I haven't witnessed freaked carts from original English carts, but I've seen NGF conversion carts quite a bit.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
What was the goal in destroying original inserts? I've seen the infamous photo many times over, but yet to see it accompanied by the story. Absolutely disgusting.

EDIT: Nevermind. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I went looking after this story. I wasn't far off, both senseless and disgusting.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
So recently I bought a KoF 99 English homecart with no signs of NGF shenanigans and was wondering if that makes it suspect... I know there is a very long history behind NGF and all I'm interested in knowing is:

-what homecarts got regularly freaked?

-what are the signs or markings of a freak job?

-Are there titles that NGF had total exclusivity on?

The only completed KoF 99 Eng homecart listing on ebay was freaked, but the cart pic on N-G shows a clean cart.

Appreciate any wisdom or experience on this

When if comes to US freaked carts, the only game you must consider is KOF 2000 because it's the only one they had an "exclusivity" on. You should be able to find legit non-freaked versions of all the other games. In other words, your copy of KOF 99 without the NGF sticker is perfectly legit. Typical freaked carts also have NGF stamped on the back of the insert.

1049-5.jpg