PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

comp1demon

n00b

He said he did it for himself.. but still... This could be a fairly cost effective way to take care of the REV 1 issues.

Ideas I have though.....

1. Terraonion and Voltar work out a deal where all REV 1 boards are shipped to him, he does fix and returns. Terraonion offers cutomer choice between V2 or Fixed board. Would be more cost effective then a V2 replacement. Personally after seeing this video most V1 customers would probably rather have this option.

2. Terraonion gets all the REV 1 boards back and replaces with REV 2 like they said they were gonna do and then buys all the board fixes from Voultar and install them themself and then re-sell them as refurbished (I would still pay very close to their asking price, in fact I would buy one or Two of those reworked boards for my other systems)

3. Terraonion pays Voultar a fair fee for the PCB design and install method. They produce their own boards and repair all V1 they get back and resells them.

There really is great potential with this. Voultar just showed them he can bail them out and take care of the V1 issue (without himself really doing it - proof of concept). IF Terraonion is going to do anything with those returned V1 boards, this would be the thing to do with them. Use Voultar's fix and sell them as Refurbed. For a new 240 Euro system 3. I would bet they could sell these for 200 or 220 euro + Shipping or even sell them for 240 euro and offer free shipping for each refurbed unit and I guarantee they would sell all of them ASAP. It would be a logistics god send for something like this.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Playing along with this, a small number of rev 1 boards shipped so the rest are new. With the revision, they're still new and should be sold as such. If the end result is the same it's not much different than the various PCE models already.

Also changing bail them out to help them out will ruffle less feathers.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
My gut says after them having to go back and make a new set of boards their profit margin has gotten significantly punched in the nuts. Given how small an operation they are and assuming they quit jobs to do this full time, etc...I just can't imagine a scenario where something like all this plays out. If it we're me, I'd be tempted to burn it all and move on as well.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I seem to recall something about TO changing the audio levels in Rev 2 as well...not sure if that is hardware or software, but if it was hardware then Voultar's RGB mod won't correct for that. I think it is wisest to stick with just the Rev 2s...If they push a firmware change that affects the video, they can't control for the variable of outside modded hardware.

VJP

New Challenger
Got a problem with the imagequality. My setup is a core grafx with Super SD System 3, Packapunch pro cable and the FrameMeister.(NeoGeo, SuperFamicom, NES, etc. no problemo)
It looks like a kind of flicker/noise moving over the whole image.
As I was not shure if the problem is comming from the CoreGrafix or the Super SD System 3, I did the Jailbar fix & Recap on the CoreGrafx, but still the same result.

Took some screenshots(ElGato):
vjp.ch/img/flicker/01.jpg
vjp.ch/img/flicker/02.jpg
vjp.ch/img/flicker/03.jpg

In reality it looks even worser.

Any suggestions/ideas?

edit: not bitching about RGB, just curious if this is "normal" or a malfunction.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Revision 1 board from January or the recent 2nd revision?

also, what power supply? original NEC or a 3rd party?

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
One angle I hadn’t considered: could audio noise be related to SD card brand? Do some (maybe higher-density) cards require more juice or generate more noise? I’ll try with a few to see if it changes things.

Seren

n00b

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Got a problem with the imagequality. My setup is a core grafx with Super SD System 3, Packapunch pro cable and the FrameMeister.(NeoGeo, SuperFamicom, NES, etc. no problemo)
It looks like a kind of flicker/noise moving over the whole image.
As I was not shure if the problem is comming from the CoreGrafix or the Super SD System 3, I did the Jailbar fix & Recap on the CoreGrafx, but still the same result.

Took some screenshots(ElGato):
vjp.ch/img/flicker/01.jpg
vjp.ch/img/flicker/02.jpg
vjp.ch/img/flicker/03.jpg

In reality it looks even worser.

Any suggestions/ideas?

edit: not bitching about RGB, just curious if this is "normal" or a malfunction.

Those look like the standard PCE jailbars to me. Have you added the capacitor to the GPU there - that should improve if not fix that issue completely. Nothing the SSDS3 can do about those lines.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
One angle I hadn’t considered: could audio noise be related to SD card brand? Do some (maybe higher-density) cards require more juice or generate more noise? I’ll try with a few to see if it changes things.

I was wondering that this morning - I use a fairly high quality

takeshi385

n00b
I haven't had any problems with video or audio. My ac adapter is built off of a Sony AC-CRX10U power supply. I chose this because for the same price as a crap after market psu I could make something way better that would run even on 240v and it wouldn't be prone to noise creeping into the video. In addition, unlike the expensive oem psu and the crappy after market sh*t (which has been long known to create video issues) the sony psu has more amps and isn't a freakin wall wart. I also use my ssds3 with my rgb modded sony trinitron I built.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I love how this giant steaming turd is considered picture worthy in that article. And who is Damien here? He obviously has an account to quote a post.

original.jpg

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I love how this giant steaming turd is considered picture worthy in that article. And who is Damien here? He obviously has an account to quote a post.

View attachment 49603

To be fair, it makes for a nice screenshot. I agree that there are plenty of better games to use in an article such as this, though.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

FIND him for me... That's all I have to say.... :NeedWarRoomLockGif:

xROTx

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why are people not using a Genny power supply. I use that shit on a bunch of my consoles. Do people not have one or are they unaware they could use one.