Pacific Rim

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
That may be, but I think Pacific Rim has a workable plot. It's been the basis of a lot of classic anime and there are reasons such a reliable formula has given people so many hours of good entertainment.

The problem won't be Pacific Rim's plot, because that is time tested to be a plot people enjoy.

The question will be in how it's delivered.

Depends on whether or not you think Guillermo Del Toro is capable of doing it and what you think of the finished product.

As for Oblivion, I think it looks pretty good.

And AfterEarth, too. Surprisingly, since I'm not much of a Will Smith fan, I really want to see it. I like the phrase 'Fear is a choice.' Seems like a pretty good movie tagline and the idea of a father telling his son that danger is real but fear is something the mind makes up is an interesting premise to explore in a 'father and son lost in the wild' type setting.

aria

Former Moderator
I'd heard about the movie, then saw the trailer before the Hobbit... I'm skeptical. Perhaps they were just trying to obfuscate the creatures for the trailer, but each and every action sequence they showed was dark and rainy (the old stand-by for hiding unconvincing CG) and I couldn't get enough into the non-CG scenes. Nothing said "avoid" but nothing got my interests going, either.

Meanwhile I was much happier with the new Star Trek Into Darkness trailer--I liked it better than the first one.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
LTTP

Did nobody else get a King of the Monsters vibe from the trailer?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
LTTP

Did nobody else get a King of the Monsters vibe from the trailer?

Yeah it's obvious Del Toro was heavily inspired by the underwater level in King of the Monsters 2. Cheap bastard didn't wanna pay SNK-P for the rights. Perhaps he figures that they are already swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck, you know, after the whole Neo X bit.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I didn't wanna ruin the good vibes so I didn't post, but I agree with Bob.

Looks about as entertaining as Real Steel.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I loved Real Steal. I got a real Robot Jox meets the monsters from Cloverfield. But shit, I wanna see this day one in IMAX. I wonder if their going to use this to see how well Godzilla will do. I really want to see the test footage from Comic Con but it's nowhere to be found online.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Another +1 for Real Steel. It's not amazing but it's a quality kid friendly movie where robots punch each other a lot. If I was 10 I'd love it.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Some new footage in the official CES trailer

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The sci-fi lover in me can't help but be geeked everytime I watch a Pacific Rim trailer. I'll say it again. Pacific Rim looks like King of the Monsters: The Movie to me. It looks like serious fun.

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I'm interested but I'm not gonna flip out over it. The mecha/robot designs didn't grab my attention at all and to be truthful I'm let down by it. They look like a giant version of the robot from Toonami.
1066072-toonamitomchair_super.jpg

I'm mostly interested in where the monster comes from but only mildly.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
so Japan has the weakest robot and Australia has the strongest?

that seems backwards...

(movie still looks kick-ass)

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
By watching the trailer I thought to myself it's got the King of the Monster's feel to it and Pacific Rift look's fantastic.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
The "sweded" version of the first Pacific Rim trailer :)

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
New Trailer (WonderCon Footage)

& new poster and banner

5AuRnp1.jpg

oanqKXb.jpg

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
it's unreal how good this looks

pretty sure i'll be there at midnight to check it out

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Man this movie looks pretty kick ass! I'm sure there will be some cheesiness in the movie, but with Del Toro directing it should be okay.

I might even be able to talk my wife into seeing it since Charlie Hunnam (also plays Jax in Sons of Anarchy) is in the movie.