need tips buying a aracde machine

djexotic

n00b
i been looking to buy a arcade machine in the future but need tips of buying one. i am looking for a four slot mvs system arcade or six if i am luck in my area. but give me some tips on buying one.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Most important thing to look out for when buying an arcade machine is if it works properly. Make sure both speakers work, make sure power supply 5v is 5v, 12v is close to 12v, and that it supports -5v if you want to play boards that require it.

The next thing you should look out for is Screen Burn. Check for screen burn by displaying a nice white screen, then play a game normally to see if it bothers you. General rule of thumb is if you can see nasty burn in with the monitor off it is gonna look bad when playing.

I would also display a dot cloth pattern on a crt to assess convergence and geometry.

Here is a good guide to get you started

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_Candy_Cabs

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I think ChuChu said a lot.

Read the wiki link, make sure all the inputs work, check the screen geometry, check voltages, and screen burn. Ask what's been replaced and when. For MVS specifically, make sure all the slots work and watch it go through the display mode for a few minutes..

Finally, depending on what you know how to do/not know how to do, that imo, is a major factor in deciding what type of cab (condition that is) you can buy. If you have the knowhow to refurb it, then to a great degree condition doesn't matter (except for the monitor which are increasingly difficult to find) but if not, it needs to be in good condition...

Personally, with my first cab I was all about "having a limit" to what I wanted to spend...I regretted that purchase...Since then, I've realized that to get something nice(as my tech/fix it knowledge is extremely low) I'm going to have to pay for it..But at least then you know what to expect and you can really look forward to it, instead of being disappointed with a cab that doesn't live up to expectations...

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The monitor is the most important part on the cab. Make sure it looks great.

Also, make sure the speakers sound good, and the controls work fine, and the cab looks good.

And 2/4/ and 6 Slot NEOGEO boards use a MVS harness and a stereo speaker setup.

And 1 slot NEOGEO boards use a JAMMA harness and a Mono speaker setup.

gabe

Quiz Detective
The monitor is the most important part on the cab. Make sure it looks great.
This x1,000,000.

Pretty much every other part of the cab can be easily fixed... Or replaced with minimal shipping costs.

djexotic

n00b
what if i run into a gutted arcade like the board is missing but all the connection is their like monitor,speakers, and coin slot. because their this guy who is selling this arcade without the board(he sold it to a friend because he was going to make it into a meme but didn't have time.) but now he looking to get rid of it. he asking 60 bucks for it.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
In general, don't buy a cab if the monitor don't work.

Take your spare (backup) tester arcade board with you--one Jamma and one MVS (if you've got one)--and your multimeter--and test the cab out.

See if the monitor and the Power supply work.

Cabs can be pricey to restore--you don't want to start off buying a new monitor and PSU right off the bat.

IF that's the case, then he should be paying you to hall the carcus of a cab away.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The six slot big red is wider than most household doorways. Better get the measurements right before you haul one back and find out that you have to take it apart to get it indoors.

exidy

New Challenger
I kinda disagree :)

I buy a ton of arcade machines. I actually want he machine to be complete and in good condition.
Whether it works or not, its not important to me but this affects the price quite a bit.

Game is really made up of 3 main components:

1) Monitor
2) Power Supply
3) PCB board

Once you isolate the problem, its not hard to fix a machine. But if you have no experience it might be worth getting a game thats fully working. But buttons, joysticks working is somewhat irrelevant. Usually cheap and easy fixes.
The 3 main components are key.

Jon

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
I'm confused as to why no one has mentioned cab condition. Granted I got lucky with all my internals being original and in good condition, but she got beat up during her tour of duty. Had to do a lot of wood work to the ol' girl. The electronics is the easy bit, monitors included (if not handy in that area it'll run ya about $300 for a replacement). Good luck!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Make sure its an original cab & not converted even if its a good deal. Also if you decide to buy a candy cab dont buy from Kingsley who operates coinopstore.com