my laptop has a heating issue

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
howdy fellas. i've got a bit of a problem. i don't know shit about computers, but i do know my laptop is overheating with regular use. i'm not running anything too intensive, i'm not playing any games or anything (it used to get really warm when i'd play dead rising on it) but it just seems to be running way too hot. like damn near 200 degrees hot. i think it might be dusty inside, but i don't want to open it for fear i might break something. what should i do? i've only had it since christmas of 2009.

it'll randomly crash and BSOD on me if i've had it on too long and the bottom near where the fan is, is as hot as a stove top after making dinner. should i just get some of that compressed air in a can and spray the little vents on it? a cooling pad? or will i need to just man up and take it apart to clean out any dust in there? help a brother out.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Is the fan kicking on when it heats up? I can't imagine a 2-year old laptop being so dusty that it's preventing air to circulate.

Also, in what way do you usually use it? Does it sit on a flat surface like a counter or table top, or do you use it in your lap, on your couch or bed, etc.?

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Is the fan kicking on when it heats up? I can't imagine a 2-year old laptop being so dusty that it's preventing air to circulate.

Also, in what way do you usually use it? Does it sit on a flat surface like a counter or table top, or do you use it in your lap, on your couch or bed, etc.?

used to be on a desk back in texas, where it stayed nice and cool and elevated. now its on my lap. i always make sure to position it so the fan isn't blocked or anything. and it is kicking on when it gets warm, i just don't think its doing enough because this thing is blazing hot, once you leave it on for about 40 minutes or more.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Have you ran any programs to monitor the exact CPU temp ?

There's a simple free one called "SpeedFan". Can be used to control fan speeds, but also monitors CPU temps.

And yeah, as stated, I'm sure your insides are dusty as hell. laptop fans are tiny, so doesn't take much dust building to screw up their performance.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Couldn't hurt to open it up. It's unlikely you'll screw anything up by just opening it and blowing some compressed air in there.

Just look up your specific model of laptop on Google and you should be able to find step-by-step instructions on how to get it apart.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
i've been building/fixing computer for about 25 years and been MCSE/A+ certified for nearly 10 years. as everyone else is saying it's these possibilities:

1. dirty fans - (just need canned air)
2. a cooling fan that's died - (unless you've taken apart a laptop before i'd say have someone else do it)
3. laptop placement - make sure you do not put it on your lap, bed, carpet - very bad for laptops (unless you have some sort of cooling fan/mini-table to place the laptop on

there's a possibility it could be heat sync related but considering how new your laptop is, unless you've abused the hell out of it, then i highly doubt it

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
alright, so i need some air in a can and a cooling pad then so. and to just man up and take it apart. i downloaded that speed fan abs mentioned. the computer has been on for all of 15 minutes and is at 150 degrees fahrenheit and climbing. not good i don't think no. that's what a well done steak should be, not a computer.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Mine sort of does the same thing too. It's because that it's designed poorly and that either the air intake or exhaust is at the BOTTOM, which is obviously obstructed by the surface you're putting it on. I just take two thick phone books and put them on the desk, prop the laptop over them like a bridge so the air duct is no longer blocked.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Mine sort of does the same thing too. It's because that it's designed poorly and that either the air intake or exhaust is at the BOTTOM, which is obviously obstructed by the surface you're putting it on. I just take two thick phone books and put them on the desk, prop the laptop over them like a bridge so the air duct is no longer blocked.

maybe it needs a MagnaFlow exhaust and a K & N intake ? ;)

although then it wouldn't be legal in california... :P

Last edited:
alright, so i need some air in a can and a cooling pad then so. and to just man up and take it apart. i downloaded that speed fan abs mentioned. the computer has been on for all of 15 minutes and is at 150 degrees fahrenheit and climbing. not good i don't think no. that's what a well done steak should be, not a computer.

That's really not hot at all. CPU temps on many current spec notebooks easily approach 100C under load, especially ones with the "video card" integrated into the CPU die.

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

wish i could just bolt shit onto it, i know how to do that. i can tune up a motor like nothing. but a computer, i'm fucking lost.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My laptops has overheated a couple times when heavy gaming. I noticed it the vents are on the bottom in the back, it works fine if I elevate it so nothings around it.
Question is do these laptop cooling stations really work or do anything?

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
My laptops has overheated a couple times when heavy gaming. I noticed it the vents are on the bottom in the back if evelate it, it works fine if I elevate it so nothing around it.
Question is do these laptop cooling stations really work or do anything?

honestly, I dont think they do anything. ive been using one on my gaming laptop but yeah, primarily using it to elevate the thing. when I put my hand on the side it feels just as hot with or without the cooling pad.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

A block of dry ice would be far more effective, and cheaper to boot. XD

Curt

apostate
My MBP was heating up like a sonofabitch, and during a over-zealous crysis 2 setting I'm pretty sure I fried something. It would sometimes get "cook" hot, and often would lock up when I did CPU/GPU intensive stuff (like photoshop). I took it to Apple and they replaced the Logic Board, which from what I can tell is alot of parts. So I'm still not 100% what it was other than it was hardware.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My MBP was heating up like a sonofabitch, and during a over-zealous crysis 2 setting I'm pretty sure I fried something. It would sometimes get "cook" hot, and often would lock up when I did CPU/GPU intensive stuff (like photoshop). I took it to Apple and they replaced the Logic Board, which from what I can tell is alot of parts. So I'm still not 100% what it was other than it was hardware.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Mac's are pretty notorious for frying their logic boards. I'd blame Foxconn for the damage way before Crysis 2. At least Apple fixed it for you.