Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Nobody saw Alita? Why not
I have i see it as a good adaptation of the manga,but when i saw it in theaters it was just me and a friend :eek: Still i thought it's director went overboard trying to fit all those events into one movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’ve had this in the To Watch Pile for a quite some time but haven’t bothered with it. I enjoy revenge films, but this seemed like just another I Spit on Your Grave, feminist feature, or is it something more? I’m betting there is nasty rape and cock and ball torture, amirite?

Go and watch Blue Ruin!

Revenge isn’t “feminist”. It’s kind of basic. Hot girl has Lolita style, teases a guy, he gets the wrong idea and rapes her, things go wrong and they try to kill her to avoid legal. She doesn’t die.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Revenge isn’t “feminist”. It’s kind of basic. Hot girl has Lolita style, teases a guy, he gets the wrong idea and rapes her, things go wrong and they try to kill her to avoid legal. She doesn’t die.

I’ll bump it up the queue, I do enjoy these sorts of films, revenge is a theme that I think most people can get behind. Another good one is Abel Ferrara’s MS. 45, also known as Angel of Vengeance.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’ll bump it up the queue, I do enjoy these sorts of films, revenge is a theme that I think most people can get behind. Another good one is Abel Ferrara’s MS. 45, also known as Angel of Vengeance.

Ms. 45 is a classic but the rape scene really wasn’t my thing. I watched it on YouTube, believe it or not. Not sure it’s still there.

Also, I love this song.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ms. 45 is a classic but the rape scene really wasn’t my thing. I watched it on YouTube, believe it or not. Not sure it’s still there.

Also, I love this song.

Yeah, it’s definitely a classic. I think Abel Ferrara is underrated. Driller Killer is another favourite but I’m aware this gets panned. I enjoy that gritty New York feel, filmed on location.

And yeah, rape is horrid, but it’s definitely the revenge theme afterwards that makes these films appealing and work. They’re primal. I’ve got a long list of them, some good, most are B films. House on the Edge of the Park is interesting, as a Italian rip off of Last House on the Left, for David Hess alone, that guy owned the screen. That one is up on YouTube.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Yeah, it’s definitely a classic. I think Abel Ferrara is underrated. Driller Killer is another favourite

Love his work in general, The King Of New York, The Addiction, etc...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Love his work in general, The King Of New York, The Addiction, etc...

Indeed, both great. I put on Bad Lieutenant after my parents hired it on VHS, as a kid... bad mistake. It made me feel sick and dirty. Keitel is depraved in that. It was not something I should have seen at that age.

I never saw the remake and I’m not going to bother. I love that it triggered Ferrara enough to go on record and say he wished Nic Cage and Herzog to die in a horrible car accident for remaking his film.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I watched Bad Lieutenant last year and I can't decide if I like the movie or not. Like you said it makes you feel dirty, but that's probably the point. Keitel is amazing, that scene where he pulls over those young girls is fucked up.

King of New York... Yeah I don't like that one, but again Walken was great.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Creed II:

All in all fairly enjoyable if not predictable. I mean I love the Rocky saga and all, but seeing as this is basically Rocky 8, you know how it's gonna pan out.

I don't think it was as good as the first Creed, which I enjoyed quite a bit. But C2 did have some tender moments between Adonis and Rocky.

The Golden God that is The Dolph was great to see as Ivan again, but he almost seemed not-as-large as he seemed in IV.

2036 Origin Unknown:

I got through this and thought "what a fucking waste of time." And then I saw the directors or exec producers name, Hazraf Something-or-other. I thought it sounded familiar, and looked up The Beyond. It was very similar garbage. Apparently this dude likes to make shitty existential Sci-fi. Steer clear.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Indeed, both great. I put on Bad Lieutenant after my parents hired it on VHS, as a kid... bad mistake. It made me feel sick and dirty. Keitel is depraved in that. It was not something I should have seen at that age.

I never saw the remake and I’m not going to bother. I love that it triggered Ferrara enough to go on record and say he wished Nic Cage and Herzog to die in a horrible car accident for remaking his film.

Sequel is amazing bro.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I watched Bad Lieutenant last year and I can't decide if I like the movie or not. Like you said it makes you feel dirty, but that's probably the point. Keitel is amazing, that scene where he pulls over those young girls is fucked up.

King of New York... Yeah I don't like that one, but again Walken was great.
I haven't seen King of New York since I was a kid. It's weird, I barely remember Walken from that movie. I always remember it as a Laurence Fishburne movie for some reason.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Recently, I watched Cat Chaser. If someone wants Ferrara light, comfy late 80's atmosphere and Peter Weller w/o the usual robosuit, here's your chance. Sensationally retitled in Germany as "Miami Inferno" (Hexenkessel Miami) hahaha...

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Bleed for this
A sports movie based on the life of boxer Vinny Pazienza. It surprised me in it's overall quality I have to admit. TThey did obviously take some liberties to make for a more dramatic movie but overall I have to say the movie really struck a chord with me. I doubt that Vin Paz was a loveable a character in real life than we're meant to believe here but he really is a boxing legend, if only for the comeback story of a lifetime. Watch it if you're into sports movies.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't seen King of New York since I was a kid. It's weird, I barely remember Walken from that movie. I always remember it as a Laurence Fishburne movie for some reason.

Watching old movies it's kinda weird seeing young "Larry" Fishburne in movies from before he was a big star. He always did well but the only early role I thought that was really notable was School Daze. More recently you see him in more professor or scientist roles.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Last week I watched Holy Mountain with my friend who hadn't seen it before. He liked the visuals but didn't like that there wasn't much of a story.

After that we watched the 2012 version of Dredd. I'm not familiar with the source material, but it was OK for a pulpy ultraviolence movie. The visuals seemed more like a 3D tech demo (we watched it in 2D), and I wish Dredd's character design wasn't so clunky. I wouldn't watch it again, but it was cool. Definitely not up to Alex Garland's other scripts like Ex Machina or Annihilation.

Speaking of, I started reading Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer last week and am almost done with it. It's pretty different from the movie, which I'm going to watch again once I finish the book. It was my favorite movie of 2018.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Last week I watched Holy Mountain with my friend who hadn't seen it before. He liked the visuals but didn't like that there wasn't much of a story.

After that we watched the 2012 version of Dredd. I'm not familiar with the source material, but it was OK for a pulpy ultraviolence movie. The visuals seemed more like a 3D tech demo (we watched it in 2D), and I wish Dredd's character design wasn't so clunky. I wouldn't watch it again, but it was cool. Definitely not up to Alex Garland's other scripts like Ex Machina or Annihilation.

Speaking of, I started reading Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer last week and am almost done with it. It's pretty different from the movie, which I'm going to watch again once I finish the book. It was my favorite movie of 2018.
Dredd was a masterpiece. But for me, it was my childhood. I had Judge Dredd as a little kid because that was all I could get. This wasn’t meant to be the alpha and omega for UrbanDredd, but rather a springboard. It didn’t pan out, despite the fact many of us bought 2 or 3 tickets to see this.

As for Holy Mountain, tell your friend to come back and try El Topo. No LSD needed.

That's Green Room :D
Someone needed to save LoneSage from himself.

fake

15 Year Member
Dredd was a masterpiece. But for me, it was my childhood. I had Judge Dredd as a little kid because that was all I could get. This wasn’t meant to be the alpha and omega for UrbanDredd, but rather a springboard. It didn’t pan out, despite the fact many of us bought 2 or 3 tickets to see this.

As for Holy Mountain, tell your friend to come back and try El Topo. No LSD needed.

Someone needed to save LoneSage from himself.

Yeah, I'm assuming a lot of it went over my head because I don't know anything about the character. I remember it being a critical hit but it didn't make much money.

And I agree - El Topo is much more straightforward but even more impressive, IMO, maybe not visually, but narratively.

Spoiler:

The fact that the son turns into the father in a way, is perfect

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm assuming a lot of it went over my head because I don't know anything about the character. I remember it being a critical hit but it didn't make much money.

And I agree - El Topo is much more straightforward but even more impressive, IMO, maybe not visually, but narratively.

Spoiler:

The fact that the son turns into the father in a way, is perfect

You need to travel in a spiral to find the masters.

fake

15 Year Member
You need to travel in a spiral to find the masters.

Maybe. I think you need to have a somewhat deep understanding of tarot and esotericism to really get Holy Mountain.

One of the greatest shots of all cinema:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Green Book - I have the same physique as Viggo in this film.

It appears there's a controversy where the black guy's family says the movie is BS, that they weren't friends and the guy was just a driver.

In the film, Tony says he got the nickname Lip because he was a bullshitter.

The guy who wrote this is Tony's kid. So what if Tony did what he was known to do, to bullshit this whole event to friends and family. That he became good friends with a pianist virtuoso with three doctorates to make him look better than him just being the driver.