Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Saw the Documentary "Shirkers" on Netflix and it was amazing and....a bit disturbing. 3 Singaporean females reclaim the indie film that they made in the 90s after it was stolen from them by their director. It details how the frustrations of indie film production under a director who was just fucked up in the head. Great doc. See it today.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
22 July- Docudrama about the mass shooting/terrorist attack in Norway. Very well done.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Nocturnal Animals

To be fair, I only picked this film up because it was directed by Tom Ford, didn't know he did cinema. In general, a great slice-of-life drama/thirller, in which a woman understands that she made a mistake. Also, the Boardwalk Empire FBI agent turned bootlegger jockey in a great role as a nihilistic Texas cop.

3/5

Yeah, it's a decent watch. Funny that the B story was better than the A story.

image16.jpg

Creator of the Malcom X-Men has died.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Beaver- Directed by and starring Jodie Foster, also stars Mel Gibson, Anton Yeltchin and Jennifer Lawrence. Mel plays the owner of a failing toy company who attempts suicide and ends up communicating only through a beaver hand puppet, which he never takes off ever. A bizarre but frank look at depression and dental illness. Recommended.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched like 80% of Venom on a plane out of morbid curiosity. Tom Hardy does a silly accent and the story is embarrassingly thin. Separate from Spiderman (no pun intended), Venom is a stupid fucking character that should've stayed in the 90s. The character they tease in the end credits has a wig that makes him look like Bozo the clown.

Also watched Herschell Gordon Lewis's Blood Feast from the Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive-In marathon. Not a good movie by any stretch but it's the first slasher flick (from the early 60s) and it's strange seeing the first real attempts at nasty gore. It's goofy in a MST3k kind of way and the acting is pretty awful across the board but it's an interesting historical piece. Joe Bob carried this one with his stories about his friend Herschell.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
A bizarre but frank look at depression and dental illness.
It's about time a movie like this came along to explore a topic a lot of people have misconceptions about or are afraid to acknowledge even exists, the people suffering from which are often stigmatized. Dental illness.

And great casting, because I know a lot of people think Mel Gibson might be dentally ill anyway.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's about time a movie like this came along to explore a topic a lot of people have misconceptions about or are afraid to acknowledge even exists, the people suffering from which are often stigmatized. Dental illness.

And great casting, because I know a lot of people think Mel Gibson might be dentally ill anyway.

Ha! Dental illness...

I will say one thing, dental pain is no joke...I know when you have a sore tooth, you're never in a happy mood...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, caught the misspelling and said fuck it. STK hopped on it like a champ.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Black Christmas 74'- Pretty sure Margot Kidder isn't acting.

fake

15 Year Member
Isle of Dogs - Loved it. The camera blocking and framing is a bit more subtle than usual for Anderson, but it's still a must-see for fans.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Cult of Chucky

i thought this was going to be absolute shit, and it kind of was until chucky shows up then it takes a pleasant turn.

really enjoyed it. very fast paced, full of chucky action with one of those the good guy doesn't win surprise endings(no pun intended).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Nun - hopefully this is the point where James Wan will go okay, guess I've beat that horse enough. Doesn't really feel much at all like the Conjuring movies, and I think the makers realized that with how they clumsily shoehorned in little clips of Ed and Lorraine. Not good.

fake

15 Year Member
The Nun - hopefully this is the point where James Wan will go okay, guess I've beat that horse enough. Doesn't really feel much at all like the Conjuring movies, and I think the makers realized that with how they clumsily shoehorned in little clips of Ed and Lorraine. Not good.

Bummer. The two mainline Conjuring movies are great (or at least very good) as far as modern horror goes. But every one of the spinoffs sucks.

If you haven't seen Ouija: Origin of Evil, I recommend it. The story is OK, but the visual style is great; it looks authentically '60s.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I dunno. I feel that's like saying Lego Batman is the best Batman movie ever made. I'm not ready to accept that.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I dunno. I feel that's like saying Lego Batman is the best Batman movie ever made. I'm not ready to accept that.

LEGO Batman is better than Batman & Robin so it has that going for it but best Batman movie it is not while Spider Verse is the best Spider-Man movie to date.

If Venom makes more money than this that will be a crime

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finally saw Mission Impossible: Fallout. So much better at being a Bond movie than the actual last Bond movie that it's kinda sad.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Glad to hear the new Spider Man film is good, was looking to go see it with the boy... the trailer looked awesome.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thoroughbreds - Two estranged girl friends reconnect in their teens in waspy Connecticut and shit goes off the rails. Don't want to spoil anything. Highly recommended. Such a shame Anton Yeltchin died, he really got a chance to show how much potential he had.