Metal Slug 2 vs Metal Slug X

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
LOL...stirring the pot again Mikey
:)

I think by order of greatness it goes 1, X, 3 - and the rest don't really matter. :emb:

2 = :thevt: I can understand the nostalgia for it if it was your first Slug or whatnot, but let's be honest, it was shot out the door before it should have been. X was released to make up for 2 - "Look guys, we fucked that up, accept this far superior game as our apology."

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I definitely own World Heroes 2 Jet purely for nostalgic reasons. I've never even forced another human to play it with me. It was the first game I ever played in an arcade though, so I had to have it.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
On a related note, I know of at least one person who prefers MS7 to XX. That shit ain't right.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
On a related note, I know of at least one person who prefers MS7 to XX. That shit ain't right.

God, why? Why would you WANT touchscreen with a MS game? Do they just really love the DS?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I gotta go with X > 2 since it was the first Slug I owned. Which one was it that had the level that went on for a fucking hour and felt like a game in itself? I really didn't care for that one that going into space was kinda cool.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I like both but nostalgia wins and I gotta say 2 > X. its something about that slow down that i can't resist lol

valgalder

Kula's Candy
I think 2 is way better than X. It just flows better. All of the changes in X (except the slowdown fix) were for the worse. X has more weapons, but they're drop shot and iron lizard. Yuck.

Exactly! Never could get used to X's placement changes, and think it really affected the flow. The slowdown never bothered me, so if given to chance to play either.. I always pick 2. My opinion may be different if I played X first though.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I gotta go with X > 2 since it was the first Slug I owned. Which one was it that had the level that went on for a fucking hour and felt like a game in itself? I really didn't care for that one that going into space was kinda cool.

You're thinking of slug 3 and yeah that game would be far better if the final mission didn't drag out so long.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Sorry children.

1>2>X

This can be summed up as mild dementia, attributed to extended periods of low oxygen to the brain.

Fellas, think twice before making a cock-ring a permanent accessory - there are consequences.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
MS2 is completely shite in 2player. Way too much slowdown to make it anything but a grind to play.

Yeah if there was a kickstarter to fix the MS2 slowdown, I would donate heavily.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah if there was a kickstarter to fix the MS2 slowdown, I would donate heavily.

PS2 Anthology port fixed it already

Port > Original

SNKJorge, wherever you are, go fuck yourself, I'll say it again, PS2 port of Slug 2 > AES and MVS Slug 2.

Makes X moot.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
If I remember right, I thought PS2 Anthology had an issue with input lag.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
The PS2 Anthology totally blows for everything besides MS6, and even that's missing Combat School from the standalone PS2 release. The Wii version has better performance, but if you're playing the US release you won't be able to use a classic controller.

Although I place it beneath most of the Slugs, MSXX was pretty good. Most of the bosses were cool setpieces (that segmented turbo-tank can go to hell, though), and I liked the new lightning weapon. The mecha duel with Allen is right up there with the series' most badass moments. It's a shame that the stages are for the most part drab and repetitive, the "new" stargate enemies are so underwhelming, and it's just less fresh overall than MS5 and 6, making it feel like more of a stale rehash than any other game in the main series. Well, except for MS4.

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Metal Slug 2=much more going on on screen at the same time. X=fewer sprites and moving objects on screen. Everybody can compare anytime on youtube.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Metal Slug 2=much more going on on screen at the same time. X=fewer sprites and moving objects on screen. Everybody can compare anytime on youtube.

Even with very little going on in MS2, it runs horrifically slow.