Metal Slug 2 vs Metal Slug X

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I recently picked up Metal Slug 2 on the cheap with a bunch of other Japanese MVS carts on YAJ. While I'd been holding out for a copy of X or 3 on the cheap, the deal was too good to pass up. I've been told up and down that X is the superior game due to the lack of slowdown, but I've recently been exposed to views that 2 is actually superior to X. I'm genuinely curious about others' feelings about this... I haven't spent enough time with 2 to have formed a concrete opinion yet.

What say ye, General Discussion?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I still prefer 2 > X. I love the gameplay, X if you look at it is just a reboot with a palette swap and fixed speed issues.

I know smkdan offered to redo the programming on MS2 if he got enough funding since it would be labor intensive. I was all for supporting him as I would love to one day play a lag free MS2.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Is anything in particular present 2 that isn't present in X? I do definitely like the "time of day" in 2 levels better.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I know smkdan offered to redo the programming on MS2 if he got enough funding since it would be labor intensive. I was all for supporting him as I would love to one day play a lag free MS2.

Now that would be worth funding. I hope some kind of drive is set up eventually. I'd donate!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I still prefer 2 > X. I love the gameplay, X if you look at it is just a reboot with a palette swap and fixed speed issues.

Hmm, maybe ask about a Kickstarter fund? I'd donate.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
is it just me or does metal slug 2 run better on the psp compilation than it does on real hardware? Seems to have less slowdown on the psp. Maybe I'm crazy

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Did he ever put a dollar amount to how much he needed?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I always liked x better than 2 but ever since I got Slug 2 on MVS my opinion had changed. I like slug 2 way more now.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I always liked x better than 2 but ever since I got Slug 2 on MVS my opinion had changed. I like slug 2 way more now.

What are the determining factors for you? That's what I'm really curious about here.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'd donate to that project too. ...wasn't a big fan of the night themed nature of X...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
is it just me or does metal slug 2 run better on the psp compilation than it does on real hardware? Seems to have less slowdown on the psp. Maybe I'm crazy

You're (probably) not crazy. I haven't played the PSP version, but on the Wii Anthology set the slowdown was removed from MS2 completely, and it's pretty awesome.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
You already can. The PS3 Neo-Geo Station port has an option to emulate an overclocked CPU.

Even without the slowdown, I don't see how anyone can say 2 is better than X. X has better bosses, more weapons, more enemies, more appealing stage color schemes, and a cooler announcer.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You already can. The PS3 Neo-Geo Station port has an option to emulate an overclocked CPU.

When we usually have these discussions it usually refers to real hardware. From what I remember the overclocking on the PS3 NGS for MS2 was something like 200%.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I think MS2 should be left well alone on real hardware. The slowdown is a part of the game's history and character, and it's one of the things distinguishing it from MSX. Messing with the slowdown also makes it impossible to compare performance and scores with other players. It can even be seen as a sort of benefit, turning MS2 into a more forgiving "novice version" of MSX.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
X is a great game, but I have a lot of nostalgia for 2 during my arcade days. The slowdown, though detrimental, really is what makes it unique. I especially dig it when I kill swaths of Morden's goons when the slowdown hits as it reminds me of the slow motion that happens in John Woo action movies. Enjoy 2 man. It's a friggin' fun game! :)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Nostalgia - metal slug 2, many hours logged on this game waiting for mass transit. 362 Megs, CD release

Game Geek - X, more guns, no slow down, 506 Megs, no CD release

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Even without the slowdown, I don't see how anyone can say 2 is better than X. X has better bosses, more weapons, more enemies, more appealing stage color schemes, and a cooler announcer.

Nostalgia is a big reason I put 2 above X to be perfectly honest.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Honestly I prefer 2 for its originality, X wasn't really needed and they could have just moved onto 3. However, technically X is the superior game. The slow downs in 2 don't really bother me that much.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I'm of the mind that 2 & X are different enough to warrant owning both without a feeling of "double-dipping" or something of the ilk.

My advice: continue to keep an :eye: out for an X cart while you enjoy 2 ;)

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I think 2 is way better than X. It just flows better. All of the changes in X (except the slowdown fix) were for the worse. X has more weapons, but they're drop shot and iron lizard. Yuck.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I got 2 and X together with the Phantom-1. For 2 player simultaneous play, there is no way I can recommend 2 over X.