Man arrested for covid relief scam

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://nypost.com/2020/05/21/chinese-nat-applied-for-millions-in-covid-relief-loans-feds/

A Chinese national living in New York tried to bilk the federal government and banks out of tens of millions of dollars in coronavirus relief loans by requesting the money for “small businesses” that only employed him, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

Muge Ma, 36, who goes by the name Hummer Mars, was arrested Thursday and hit with one count of bank fraud, one count of wire fraud, and one count of making false statements to a bank for the scheme, said Geoffrey Berman, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Ma allegedly applied for $20 million in government-backed loans from the Small Business Administration and five banks, claiming his two companies employed hundreds of people and paid them millions of dollars each month.

To pass off the companies as legit, Ma submitted falsified bank records, tax records, payroll records and financial statements, prosecutors charged.

He described one of the companies as a “patriotic American” firm that does cloud computing and built a website for it with photos of him and “employees” meeting with notable officials, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo, according to court papers.

He also allegedly contacted a Canadian company that manufactures COVID-19 tests and falsely claimed his company was a vendor of New York state in buying the testing kits, prosecutors alleged.

Before his scheme was exposed, the SBA allowed a $500,000 loan to one of the companies and $150,000 to the other, according to prosecutors.

A private bank also granted an $800,000 loan backed by the Paycheck Protection Program, which was frozen after the alleged ruse was exposed.

“Small businesses are facing uncertainty and unprecedented challenges, the least of which should be opportunists attempting to loot the federal funds meant to assist them,” Berman said in a statement.

“This Office, along with our law enforcement partners, will continue to vigilantly protect the integrity of those critical loan programs,” he added.

This guy would have made fine Aerofighters 3 US home carts.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Chinese don't really have ethics or morals. I'd probably be tarred and feathered if I said this in America but it's just true. If they can make money or find a way to do so at the cost of others, they'll do it, because it doesn't affect them.

Anyways pretty cool they caught this guy, but the true test is if roker will read your article and comment.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Chinese don't really have ethics or morals. I'd probably be tarred and feathered if I said this in America but it's just true.

That statement right there at least confirms that you haven't died and/or have been replaced by somebody in China toting the party line... Was beginning to worry the Virus or the CCP got you during lockdown.

*Takes foil hat off*

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Hummer, LOLz.

Yeah what I was thinking
Muge Ma, 36, who goes by the name Hummer Mars

Sounds like would be a blast to party with, wish I could have helped him spend his $650k on loose women and coke before he got caught.

Chinese don't really have ethics or morals. I'd probably be tarred and feathered if I said this in America but it's just true. If they can make money or find a way to do so at the cost of others, they'll do it, because it doesn't affect them.

Anyways pretty cool they caught this guy, but the true test is if roker will read your article and comment.

Americans arn't much better. If they get caught doing this in China it'll be a bullet in the head next week. Here in the US this guy will prob get 6 months and have to pay back most of the money. At least he didn't get caught with some weed.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Cheating is ingrained in the culture here. It's less of a bad thing for the cheater and more of putting the onus on the other party, 'well if you didn't catch me cheating then that's your fault.'

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Cheating is ingrained in the culture here. It's less of a bad thing for the cheater and more of putting the onus on the other party, 'well if you didn't catch me cheating then that's your fault.'

You know there are a fuck ton of places that aren't as expensive as america right?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Chinese don't really have ethics or morals.

Let's play devil's advocate: Maybe they do have but just don't follow them? That wouldn't make them different from any non-Chinese. But if that's indeed not the case, then the question remains whose 'ethics or morals' they don't really have? Both are subject to various definitions and something considered unethical or immoral for a Chinese could also be something we don't regard as such.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Let's play devil's advocate: Maybe they do have but just don't follow them? That wouldn't make them different from any non-Chinese. But if that's indeed not the case, then the question remains whose 'ethics or morals' they don't really have? Both are subject to various definitions and something considered unethical or immoral for a Chinese could also be something we don't regard as such.

Money is the be-all, end-all for them. If there's a way to get it, that trumps whatever ethics there were (for example, selling contaminated baby formula, even though they knew it was bad, they sold it anyways because money).

There's really no PC thing for it, they just have different values here. If it doesn't personally affect them or their family, and as long as it gets them money, they'll do it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Money is the be-all, end-all for them. If there's a way to get it, that trumps whatever ethics there were (for example, selling contaminated baby formula, even though they knew it was bad, they sold it anyways because money).

There's really no PC thing for it, they just have different values here. If it doesn't personally affect them or their family, and as long as it gets them money, they'll do it.

They've really taken to this whole capitalism thing, haven't they?

I think American corporations love the Chinese system of socialized support for business with little to no regard for worker rights, product safety, environmental protections, and all the other pesky things that get in the way of a buck. They cozy up to the Chinese government and work to crush dissent and personal freedoms in the name of globalism.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think American corporations love the Chinese system of socialized support for business with little to no regard for worker rights, product safety, environmental protections, and all the other pesky things that get in the way of a buck. They cozy up to the Chinese government and work to crush dissent and personal freedoms in the name of globalism.

Oh man, absolutely. I've said it before with expats here and they've all agreed, this is a Republican's wet dream. The government seriously doesn't give a fuck about anything unless it makes the news, then heads roll.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Sounds exactly like what happened to post-Soviet Russia and a lot of their ex-satellite states: first the communistic system crushed every moral and ethics within its people, then the opening to the western capitalized world let them make money out of that loss. It's a lot easier to get rich, if you already got down and dirty and became ruthless. 'Business' is then run mostly by ex-intelligence, -military or -militia members, controlled by former high-ranked party officials, now acting as sole monopolists of democracy.

On the other hand: where is money not the be-all, end-all of things, right? Maybe it's just a matter of scale? If you got more than a billion people living it out in a single country, it probably shows more...

Marek

Banned
Oh man, absolutely. I've said it before with expats here and they've all agreed, this is a Republican's wet dream. The government seriously doesn't give a fuck about anything unless it makes the news, then heads roll.

Oh now you're just going to confuse him.

I wonder what Tucker Carlson would whine/squeal to this quoted post..

Marek

Banned
EYqs95hWkAEUFfx.png

Lol this fucking guy!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Oh now you're just going to confuse him.

I wonder what Tucker Carlson would whine/squeal to this quoted post..

There's significant philosophical overlap between the populist left and the populist right. Besides, you missed my entire point when I mentioned Tucker Carlson. I was using hyperbole to demonstrate how little I trust ostensibly leftist corporate media.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
There's significant philosophical overlap between the populist left and the populist right. Besides, you missed my entire point when I mentioned Tucker Carlson. I was using hyperbole to demonstrate how little I trust ostensibly leftist corporate media.

Oh its hyperbole! I was just joking! You just dont get it because you're a binary political system sheeple person!

:thevt:

Marek

Banned
No, you just lack comprehension skills.

PS. Welcome back! :D

I certainly do not.

Youre the fucking joke that looks at Flynn and the blatant coordinated general infiltration of the Trump campaign, Republican Party, and NRA by thr Russian government and laughs that its like believeing in Santa Claus.

You're the retard that probably doesn't even know who Dana Rhorhabacher is.

You are a stupid fucking ostrich person who has nerve enough to tell me, someone who accutely understands the modern political dialectic that I lack comprehension.

Your mental garmanbozia will be the best.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I certainly do not.

Youre the fucking joke that looks at Flynn and the blatant coordinated general infiltration of the Trump campaign, Republican Party, and NRA by thr Russian government and laughs that its like believeing in Santa Claus.

You're the retard that probably doesn't even know who Dana Rhorhabacher is.

You are a stupid fucking ostrich person who has nerve enough to tell me, someone who accutely understands the modern political dialectic that I lack comprehension.

Your mental garmanbozia will be the best.

You sincerely believe that nonsense, but I don't hold it against you. If you were actually paying attention, you would already know Russia gate was debunked a year ago. The latest revelations are just the final nail in the coffin. If you can't be bothered educating yourself on the facts instead of the emotion I don't know what to tell you.

Marek

Banned
You sincerely believe that nonsense, but I don't hold it against you. If you were actually paying attention, you would already know Russia gate was debunked a year ago. The latest revelations are just the final nail in the coffin. If you can't be bothered educating yourself on the facts instead of the emotion I don't know what to tell you.

I'm too lazy for the multi quote sourced post that this condescending bullshit deserves.

But really, since you clearly dislike American democracy and advocate its active subversion, you should go the fuck back to Europe and vote for whichever authoritarian shitdick is currently fucking your home country over and kindly stop fucking ours.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm too lazy for the multi quote sourced post that this condescending bullshit deserves.

But really, since you clearly dislike American democracy and advocate its active subversion, you should go the fuck back to Europe and vote for whichever authoritarian shitdick is currently fucking your home country over and kindly stop fucking ours.

Are you sure? I'm voting for Biden in a swing state.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Then leave in January.

:lolz:

I'll only leave if something goes horribly wrong for me or my family that requires a functioning social safety net. Until then, I'll continue to reside in your quasi-shithole country.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
:lolz:

I'll only leave if something goes horribly wrong for me or my family that requires a functioning social safety net. Until then, I'll continue to reside in your quasi-shithole country.

Ok great. Cast your last ballot and gtfo