KoF XIII Port this Winter

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has loading screens, too.

Here's something all reviewers should do.

Stop criticizing some games for having things they don't like while excusing those same traits in games they enjoy.

That would be a good start on the road to objectivity.

Or just hire me to be their boss. That works, too.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I have watched literally about 4 hours of this game on youtube, and I can't help but think that it looks to be the most incredible 2D fighter of all time. I watch it, sometimes with my mouth open, many times saying to myself things like "oh my god" and "this game looks awesome" over and over. I will be running out to buy it today. How it's getting poor reviews is beyond me. I have no clue how it could be doing so poorly, when the game appears to be everything I've ever wanted in a fighter.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Actually, it's only those OPM reviews. IGN's 7 wasn't that terrible, and the written review was mostly positive, but had a couple of arguably valid negative points. But other than that, I don't think the game received a score of less than 8 any where else. That's actually better than I hoped.

Also, youtube videos don't do the game justice. Wait till you get blown when you see the game on TV.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I have watched literally about 4 hours of this game on youtube, and I can't help but think that it looks to be the most incredible 2D fighter of all time. I watch it, sometimes with my mouth open, many times saying to myself things like "oh my god" and "this game looks awesome" over and over. I will be running out to buy it today. How it's getting poor reviews is beyond me. I have no clue how it could be doing so poorly, when the game appears to be everything I've ever wanted in a fighter.

You are 100% right, plain and simple.

GunstarHeroblack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I am oit right now looking for it and can't find it anywhere! :(

hmnn...seems to be sold out many places ive checked too even up here north of the border..Finally convinced a friend of mine to buy one and none to be found, a few of the Local gamestops were sold out, Walmart looks to be the next possibility...

I wonder if that live KOF stream will be on later today....that was killer fun to watch last week.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
as long as you install the game on ps3 the loading is next to nothing, the installation is actually very quick too, it was refreshing after the long ass install with UMVC3.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Another thing about this game is its easy to play right away without having to learn the hard stuff immediately. Take for instance, I just played a japanese guy who was playing his first online match...I won the first four fights piss easy, my neo max were in full swing and he was having trouble blocking, after I won the first 4 matches, he then proceeded to read my moves and block and even block my Mai's neo max which I was not expecting so let my guard down and the guy won five out of then next ten games and was at a much higher level after just these few games.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
as long as you install the game on ps3 the loading is next to nothing, the installation is actually very quick too, it was refreshing after the long ass install with UMVC3.
The whole game is refreshing after UMVC3.
bu-dum-bum psssssh

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
The whole game is refreshing after UMVC3.
bu-dum-bum psssssh

you know, I actually love UMVC3... but there is truth to this zinger here, I am worse than all my friends at UMVC3 because I am utterly distracted by XIII. I haven't even tried SFIV AE 2012 yet....

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Just played a few games of SSIV and I seem to have forgotten how to play it, even forgot what buttons did what and it felt like nothing compared to KOF XIII, yet 3 weeks ago I was singing its praises, now it just seems like a normal game.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
SFIV is not that bad, it's just totally bland and unmeaningful. Once you start playing some serious and awesome fighting game such as KOFXIII you just can't help yourself not realizing the fact anymore.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
As much as I fucking hate SFIV(and ya'll know I hate it a lot) I must come to it's defense. SFIV wasn't that simple of a game. They have plenty of shit in that game that I just physically can't do. I loved attempting FADC combos and one frame links. IMO Capcom went about it all wrong. Instead of blending the hardcore and noob friendly elements in the game they just kind of put it in the game so you have really hard advanced shit in the game and some noob ass auto-correct dragon punch mashing shortcut type shit and comeback mechanics that'll royally piss anyone with an ounce of skill off. Nothing made me angrier than getting into my groove and whooping my opponent's ass(filling up their revenge meter) and then get auto-correct DP'ed with df,df+P. To me it felt like it wasn't blended as if all of the ingredients were just tossed in a pot unstirred and left as is whereas KOF XIII is blended well where no one element of the game is entirely too noobish or entirely too advanced. It's like Super Turbo but KOF.

But SFIV sacrificed itself(in my eyes) so KOF XIII could take it's rightful place as THE 2d fighter to play. If SFIV had KOF XIII's system then KOF would be straight up invisible IMO.

Bravo SNK-P. Try again Capcom.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think people are just saying KOF XIII is a better game than SSF4, not that SSF4 sucks.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Oh, it was definitely THAT dumbed down. Pressing DF, DF+P for a dragon punch is retarded no matter how you slice it.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Oh, it was definitely THAT dumbed down. Pressing DF, DF+P for a dragon punch is retarded no matter how you slice it.

It wasn't all the way dumbed down though. it was like half and half which is what made the game absolutely stupid and clumsly.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i do like SSF4 a lot.i play it regularly at local arcades, and i think its a really well made and fun game to play...just don't take it to seriously.
But i prefer KOF XIII at the moment for many reasons...it's beautiful to look at, i prefer the characters (i can easier relate with SNK characters then Capcom's), love the music...and i don't know how to explain it...but it feels loose ...the game is really smooth.
theres a detail in KOF XIII that i really like:the sound of your characters hitting the other guy. sounds really good.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I just wished that KOF 13's sprites look good on HDTVs. The game looks so smooth at the arcades, but when it came to consoles, the rough sprites stick out like a sore thumb. It has something to do with the monitors because both the arcades and the consoles have the same resolution for the game. The arcade monitor seems to show the game at its best. HDTVs seem to have a problem displaying upscaled 480p character sprites with 720p BGs. It looks smoother on 480p CRTs, but I don't like switching back and forth just to play this game.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Yeah the upscaling takes away from the beauty of the sprites. I played KOF XIII on my laptop and it looked fucking amazing compared to what it looks like on my friend's HDTVs

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I play it on a 52" TV and the sprites look identical to how they were when I used to play the rom on PC. I'm playing the PS3 version.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I play it on a 52" TV and the sprites look identical to how they were when I used to play the rom on PC. I'm playing the PS3 version.

If you still have the rom look at the animation of Takuma's fireball on the screen of your PC and then look at it on your TV. When the rom came out I used an HDMI cable to play it on my friends' HDTVs. We put the Laptop next to the TV and we noticed how much more fluid things looked on the laptop screen as opposed to the TV.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
GameSpot's 2011 Best Fighting Game of the Year

If you still have the rom look at the animation of Takuma's fireball on the screen of your PC and then look at it on your TV. When the rom came out I used an HDMI cable to play it on my friends' HDTVs. We put the Laptop next to the TV and we noticed how much more fluid things looked on the laptop screen as opposed to the TV.

Didn't pay attention to projectiles, but the characters look exactly how I see them in your sig, just bigger. Nothing I would call rough edges or less fluid sprites.