JP AES - sound not functioning

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
a while back, i bought an AES (thread here) while in japan, finally got the right RGB cable & it looks gorgeous! only...no audio. the cable brings a headphone input for stereo sound (similar to the RGB cables for genesis), but nothing coming out. tried using headphones, same results...maybe a low hiss, if that?

volume slider doesn't seem to affect anything. any guesses here, should i look to have the board recapped or something?

*edit - serial # is 1840578 if that helps

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No audio is mostly a dirty cartridge or slot issue most of the time. Try cleaning both extremely well.

What model is your AES?

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
ah, but i tried 2 carts...ill clean both them and the slot again and see if that helps!

edited the serial # into my post, not sure what to look for on the model? believe its just a regular JP AES

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You probably need a cap kit.
if you've ever opened up your system to the very right EDGE of the motherboard you should see one of the following revisiions:
NEO-AES
NEO-AES3-3
NEO-AES3-4
NEO-AES3-5
NEO-AES3-6
The above will determine what cap kit you need for your system.
BB

ah, but i tried 2 carts...ill clean both them and the slot again and see if that helps! edited the serial # into my post, not sure what to look for on the model? believe its just a regular JP AES
ah, but i tried 2 carts...ill clean both them and the slot again and see if that helps! edited the serial # into my post, not sure what to look for on the model? believe its just a regular JP AES

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
ah okay - yeah i've not opened it, but is there anyone on these boards i could maybe mail it off to to get it recapped/functioning? i'd be tempted to get the RGB mod as well if its possible

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Open it first and make sure the slider is connected inside. It may have been bumped loose

if that doesn’t work, contact jamma nation x.

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
cheers, will do both - any chance of a guide/video on what to look for specifically there?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If you live in the USA I can repair it for you but you still need to remove the top shell casing to identify what revision of the AES you have.
BB

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If you live in the USA I can repair it for you but you still need to remove the top shell casing to identify what revision of the AES you have.
BB
ill do just that this weekend then, appreciate it. lemme know how much you'd want for your troubles, and if the RGB mod is possible? image quality on RGB is good, but i'd read here that it's still worth doing

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
pardon the bump...

so it turned out that its a model AES 3-6, and a nearby shop was able to look at it so i thought that was easier - there was some damage from a leaked capacitor i wanna say, got it working with the composite cables the shop had and i was on my way

only, im guessing the headphone jack may still be borked, since my RGB cable gives great video with no sound

would a retrovision genesis component cable + their AES adapter bypass this? honestly just hoping for a simple solution like that, dying to play with this thing

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
if the mono audio from the AV port works, even cheap RGB cables from ebay will do the trick
so just a pair that doesn't have the split for the headphone jack then? yeah, that could work - guess i'm not getting stereo sound out of this thing as is. odd request but does anyone recommend a specific vendor/etc for them?

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I sometimes buy cheap RGB cables for the NeoGeo, so I can sell a console with an RGB cable (its advertised as having great RGB out after all), they work, they have extra components in them and make the pic a bit darker than they should, but thats easy to fix (increase brightness lol).
I'm making my own cables but I'm not selling them, too much effort.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I always buy from Retro Gaming Cables. Some people talk shit about them, but it has been a reliable source of quality cables for me, especially since the started the Packpunch line.