Japanese Super Famicom Kickstarter Project

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Really sharp looking 204 page hardcover, full color book dealing with Japanese Super Famicom games in *ENGLISH*

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/superfamicomguy/super-famicom-the-box-art-collection

photo-main_zps9a23920e.jpg~original

f10276b30774d81c841c1b3f3e66e17d_large_zpsbf7a56e2.jpg~original

Last edited:

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
WTF, they need $30k to print a book?

I don't know anything about the book biz, but guessing because it's probably a decent sized (physically/dimension-wise), hardcover, full color gloss with a somewhat small print run... it's "expensive"

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
They don't have to disclose how much money is being used to print the book.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I doubt they will reach the goal. It seems cool but I have my doubts. Plus there has to be some sort of copyright infringement going on. even if it does reach the goal it may get shut down.

Last edited:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
i think im going to back this , if only for the box art it seems like a cool project.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think complete-in-box (CIB) should always be first choice for retro gamers. Holding a box and leafing through the manuals brings back more memories than a little grey cartridge or a rom file in a folder.

Man, fuck this nigga. You know what brings back the memories to me? Playing the damn game. Reading the description of the page to me says "I love masturbating to my collection, you should buy my book so you can masturbate to my collection too."

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fuck kickstarter. Never once has any project I've backed lived up to my expectations. (or the promised release date for that matter.)

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Man, fuck this nigga. You know what brings back the memories to me? Playing the damn game. Reading the description of the page to me says "I love masturbating to my collection, you should buy my book so you can masturbate to my collection too."
exactly, you know what I did when I got a new game as a kid? I'd tear that shit right open and shove that cart into my console. I don't think I ever took more than 5 seconds to look at the packaging. Cool to look at now but bring back memories it does not.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Ha. Clearly you do not understand what true memory means.

The loving smell of the manual is half the fun.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Fuck kickstarter. Never once has any project I've backed lived up to my expectations. (or the promised release date for that matter.)

That. Done with kikestarter. Al Lowe still owes me a key for Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That. Done with kikestarter. Al Lowe still owes me a key for Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded.

I've backed Mighty NO.9 ,it's my first Kicksarter and it seems cool so far but I've heard a lot of horror stories about Kickstarter in general but I trust the guys making that particular product. That sucks Shroom i had all but forgotten about the LSL remake. What's the situation with that anyway. Is it still coming out?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I've backed Mighty NO.9 ,it's my first Kicksarter and it seems cool so far but I've heard a lot of horror stories about Kickstarter in general but I trust the guys making that particular product. That sucks Shroom i had all but forgotten about the LSL remake. What's the situation with that anyway. Is it still coming out?

It came out quite some time ago. Al Lowe cut all ties with the company who made the game because the CEO had CP on his PC and got arrested or something like that. Never got my damn steam key.

Edit: well more or less www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-13-sex-scandal-played-role-in-al-lowe-leaving-replay

Last edited:

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Print the book first. I'll buy it if I deem it worthy of my dough, after reading it in Barnes & Nobles.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I've gotta imagine this will get shut down by Nintendo or someone else long before it makes it to the printing stage. Just seems like a legal mindfield.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I've gotta imagine this will get shut down by Nintendo or someone else long before it makes it to the printing stage. Just seems like a legal mindfield.

That's what I'm wondering, Nintendo just doesn't do licensing when it comes to "fan" projects.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have a book that's pretty similar to this - every piece of box art from the SFC library. Granted, it's in Japanese.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
btw... it doesn't take care of everything, but it shows that this angle has been considered

tmp_zps14adfc99.jpg~original

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've Kickstarted a couple different game art books and they've been published just fine. Though I'm sure not as many people care about the Commodore 64 as they do the Super Famicom. ;)

Regardless I'm all over this. I've been following him on Instagram for awhile and Stu's pics and collection are impressive.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

Yeah me too, I got in on that GCW Zero, what a fucken mess. They only just shipped the final units a month ago - 1.5 years after being funded!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld/posts

A lot of the idea's are good but they are often pie in the sky projects by dreamers who have had no more responsibility than a fry cook at McDonalds. You plonk 50k in their hands and it's party time for them!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
At this point I wonder if there is any information I don't know about that would surprise me concerning anything 16-bit.

DIDJA KNOW FINAL FIGHT STARTED LIFE AS A STREET FIGHTER SEQUEL

DIDJA KNOW METAL SLUG WAS MADE BY EX-IREM MEMBERS

blahblahblah

where's that kickstarter about the nerd who's going to japan to interview old game developers, that sounds like a cool idea at least

Not to mention the book is only 204 pages long, and with one game a page...ONLY 204 games?

who gives a fuck

Last edited: