How do you guys find new music?

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Huh? How?

I really only have one source - www.pitchforkmedia.com - but I don't even really like the majority of the stuff there. Other than that - I sometimes find stuff I like by randomly clicking shit in the Itunes store.

I suppose my musical tastes are - indie/weird/anything as long as I like it.

:help: me.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
What podcasts?

:help:
One of the podcasts I listen to is iTunes New Music Tuesday.

It used to be very alternative rock oriented, but has become quite a bit more diverse.

Hip hop, reggae, pop, indie, rock, jazz, classical, R&B, and others. They pretty much play anything.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Youtube
MySpace
rarehero

hit up a local venue
or wherever I'm at in the
spur of the moment.

In That Order too.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I find that word of mouth or music swapping with friends works, too.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Last.FM
Blogs
hypem.com
And sometimes recommendations by friends.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
Imeem, Youtube, hip hop album releases

I'm suprised by the list..there's allot of rap artist I never heard of before and houston rappers that I thought folks never heard of and it's cool to see they are on the list for their release dates...and it shows you vinyl lp releases too.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Looking through user's folder on soulseek. If they have similar tastes and I see something I've never heard of, I'll check it out. You find a lot of crap that way, but you find some gems too.

I also like Boomkat. It's an online music shop out of the UK and they have a huge selection of music which you can preview most of through their player. These guys are real music lovers. Find some stuff you already listen to on there and check out stuff that's linked to it.

Beyond that, I also have friends that are into music, so that helps.

What are some artists you're currently into? Maybe some of us could make some recommendations.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Last.FM
Blogs
hypem.com
And sometimes recommendations by friends.
Add MySpace and messageboards to that list and thats me too. Although admittedly I do not keep up on music like I used to even 2 years ago. Its just far too difficult to keep tabs on every single artist I enjoy.

Last edited:

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
found out about hypem.com quite a while ago, but didn't really start using it till recently.
other than that, word of mouth, or stuff i hear at the club i work at.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
iTunes genius (or whatever it's called) in the newest release of iTunes works great. When you click on a song you already have it pops up a list of songs by that or other artists that you might like. I use that to browse, going from one song to another through this web of links and usually find something interesting.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Add MySpace and messageboards to that list and thats me too. Although admittedly I do not keep up on music like I used to even 2 years ago. Its just far too difficult to keep tabs on every single artist I enjoy.

Yeah it's gotten very difficult. I can't keep up anymore with everything, especially since I really like discovering old bands too. Been heavily into Sparks lately.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The radio is usually a bad place to find new music, but the public radio hipster station 89.3 the current plays lots of indie stuff.

Rolling Stone
Friends.
Also, movie soundtracks.

In that order.

I don't really keep up with new music anymore like I used to.

And if you have pirated music, don't turn iTunes genius on.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
What are some artists you're currently into? Maybe some of us could make some recommendations.

I dunno... the only new music (to me) I've gotten recently is Cut Copy, Deerhunter... that's it. I also just started liking Hank Williams III. I have a hard time just liking bands anyway - I have to REALLY like them to like them - so I guess that makes it hard?

Anyways - thanks for the protips everybody I'll be checking some of them out.

:buttrock:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Last.FM and Podcasts.

A while ago I used to use MP3.com and followed a couple of independent groups that way. The majority of music I listen to are on non US labels.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Rock Band. Seriously. I've found out about more bands / tunes through playing Rock Band than any other medium. The constant stream of DLC has been great for that.

Burnout 3. Again, seriously. I'd listened to like 90% electronic before playing Burnout 3 and hadn't heard any of the stuff in the game, but I liked it. Playing that got me to look up the artists, which caused me to look at their labels, which caused me to look at other artists ...

Last.fm. Not nearly to the extent as the others but I still find some good stuff that way.

Lastly, alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.dance and Beatport.com are where I go to find out about electronic music. Sadly, they've taken the place of the local record store that closed up after hurricane Katrina.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I find it rather GAY tbh. ;)

In all seriousness, I sometimes look up a song I like on imeem and then click on other "related" song suggestions. It's hit and miss for the most part.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Rock Band. Seriously. I've found out about more bands / tunes through playing Rock Band than any other medium. The constant stream of DLC has been great for that.

Burnout 3. Again, seriously. I'd listened to like 90% electronic before playing Burnout 3 and hadn't heard any of the stuff in the game, but I liked it. Playing that got me to look up the artists, which caused me to look at their labels, which caused me to look at other artists ...

Last.fm. Not nearly to the extent as the others but I still find some good stuff that way.

Lastly, alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.dance and Beatport.com are where I go to find out about electronic music. Sadly, they've taken the place of the local record store that closed up after hurricane Katrina.

I must be more with it than I think, because I'm familiar with most of the songs/bands on Rock Band.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Im suprised no one has mentioned XM or Sirius Satelite Radio, especially a lot of the indie/alt channels. Find some great tunes on them.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Im suprised no one has mentioned XM or Sirius Satelite Radio, especially a lot of the indie/alt channels. Find some great tunes on them.

Kind of hard to do unless you have XM/Sirius Satelite Radio. I still floss with MP3 CDs (no iPod of MP3 player for me), 33s and C8T (Custom 8-Track). Dammit there'd better a moving part somewhere in my music playback devices, this mini hard drive on the go thing can suck mah balls.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
I always pick up new stuff on Sirius/XM. Couldnt live without it.

As for another way I think wasnt mentioned yet.
I try to find out what the bands I like are into. As well as things they are/were influenced by. Also which bands my favorites are taking on tour with them.
I'm big time into Clutch. Which exposed me indirectly to cKy, Five Horse Johnson, Murder by Death, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, and The Sword.

But I still think word of mouth has always done me best over all.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I must be more with it than I think, because I'm familiar with most of the songs/bands on Rock Band.
Could be. Or it could be that I never listen to the radio and paid zero attention to anything but electronic music for well over a decade. :)
I always pick up new stuff on Sirius/XM. Couldnt live without it.
Back when I had Sirius, it was definitely a good place to find out about new trance. Just the problem was once they rolled out the 5 new tracks for the week, I got tired of them really quick.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
pandora really.
you make a channel with the music you like, and just wait to see what comes across.

you can do pretty much the same thing in Rhapsody or YouTube.