Great movies that are easily missed

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
cyberpunk=

•Strange Days•

Deep dive into cinema connoisseur mode:

Triple feature of •Blue•, •White•, •Red• all in one sitting.

Anime many folks slept on:

•Wonderful Days• aka •Sky Blue•

Cynthia Rothrock & Yuen Biao at the height of their powers action romp:

•Righting Wrongs•

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
-The Hunger
-The Celebration
-The Idiots
-The Reflecting skin
-Possession

*ninja*

Documentaries:

-General Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait
-Searching For The Wrong-Eyed Jesus
-Chernobyl's Babushkas

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Great movies that are easily missed are pretty much anything made before Star Wars. Even famous movies for their time don't get shown on TV. Casablanca, anything by Hitchcock (everyone knows Psycho and Vertigo, but what about Rebecca?), Singin' in the Rain, The Great Dictator, Spartacus, 1959's Ben-Hur, Paths of Glory, High Noon, etc. Those films are classics and still hold up today, it's just no one cares about them because they're old and in black and white so people might think they're boring. This is how movies can easily missed, because no one even thinks of them.

Anyways, how about Freaked. 1993, starring Alex Winter of Bill & Ted fame and Randy Quaid of Cousin Eddie and seeking asylum in Canada fame. Used to catch this movie on TV in the mid-90s and loved it. Just a completely gross movie but I remember loving it. Honestly dunno if it's still great, but it deserved more attention.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Any recommendations for good movies that you barely hear of? Looking for stuff like Blue Ruin, Moon and, to lesser extent, Jackie Brown. I could have easily missed those if I didn't hear about them by chance (mostly here).

Edit: while we are at it, also in the mood for cyberpunk movies (preferbly new). Doesn't have to be great. Just enjoyable enough. Examples: Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell movie, Total Recall remake, The Surrogate .... Etc.
Touch of Evil
Barry Lyndon
City of God
The Darjeeling Limited
Interstellar

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Cyber Punk Anime:
Cyber City Oedo and I guess somewhat Patlabor.
Horror/weird
The lighthouse (amazon Prime)
The night eats the world (amazon Prime)
Grave Encounters 1 and 2 (prime)
V/h/s the first one and the second one. (Shudder)

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Touch of Evil
Barry Lyndon
City of God
The Darjeeling Limited
Interstellar

City of God is a good one. Interstellar is a bit bloated, this is coming from a Nolan fan. I suggest Memento as a replacement.

Add:
Dunkirk

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Any recommendations for good movies that you barely hear of? Looking for stuff like Blue Ruin, Moon and, to lesser extent, Jackie Brown. I could have easily missed those if I didn't hear about them by chance (mostly here).

Edit: while we are at it, also in the mood for cyberpunk movies (preferbly new). Doesn't have to be great. Just enjoyable enough. Examples: Blade Runner 2049, Ghost in the Shell movie, Total Recall remake, The Surrogate .... Etc.

Loved Blue Ruin, would never recommend Moon as I hate that pretentious fuckfest. Jackie Brown is a weird one.

Mmmh...
Sweet Virginia, no doubt about it, nice small thriller drama, has a good weight to it. Completely hidden out of sight but can easily play in the bigger leagues of similar films such as Killing Them Softly.

I dunno, how about Animal Kingdom? It's an amazing film and interesting look at an Australian crime family.beautifully put together.

American Honey. Super sweet coming of age film about mostly white trash kids. Very earnest, contemplative, bittersweet tale, worth your time if you like films that delve, of the Moonlight, The Florida Project type.

These are little pearls, not completely obscure but easily looked over. Will try and think of more

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Best cyberpunk film of the past 20 years is Dredd. And fuck you if you disagree.
It's better than the Villeneuve Bladerunner.
Would be best if you know some of the source material but not necessary.

The Rover (by Animal Kingdom director, Michod, he also made The King) is a decent post apocalyptic flick

Not cyberpunk but sci-fi of great worth Danny Boyle's Sunshine

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I missed most of the movies mentioned so far. I will check them out. Thank you for the suggestions guys.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Since people are recommending some pretty obscure stuff, well I have a recommendation for you. Not really cyberpunk (metal punk?) but:

You're gonna like it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Forgot totally about Tetsuo.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Something Wild and Married to the Mob are two forgotten Jonathan Demme classics, before he got famous with Silence of the Lambs. Talking about Lecter, Mann's Manhunter is great and also on the overlooked side.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
7a71f8a4adf4d948fa31a12dd8f2efec.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Great movies that are easily missed are pretty much anything made before Star Wars. Even famous movies for their time don't get shown on TV. Casablanca, anything by Hitchcock (everyone knows Psycho and Vertigo, but what about Rebecca?), Singin' in the Rain, The Great Dictator, Spartacus, 1959's Ben-Hur, Paths of Glory, High Noon, etc. Those films are classics and still hold up today, it's just no one cares about them because they're old and in black and white so people might think they're boring. This is how movies can easily missed, because no one even thinks of them.

Anyways, how about Freaked. 1993, starring Alex Winter of Bill & Ted fame and Randy Quaid of Cousin Eddie and seeking asylum in Canada fame. Used to catch this movie on TV in the mid-90s and loved it. Just a completely gross movie but I remember loving it. Honestly dunno if it's still great, but it deserved more attention.

I’m confused as I’ve seen all the old boring films you mentioned. They’re classics. I guess people don’t care about the classics? Maybe people who never watched standard definition tv?

Paths of Glory is bonkers good. Love that movie.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
The Mummy with Boris Karloff.
Saw that years ago and for a 1930's movie, I was not disappointed.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
If you like war movies check out “cross of iron” starring James Coburn. It’s the one of my favorite ww2 movies the only downside is they ran out of money during filming so the ending is a bit of a let down.

I’d also recommend “the falcon and the snowman”with Sean penn playing a hell of a role.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The Jingi Naki Tatakai series is excellent (released in the west as 'The Yakuza Papers'). I feel like these movies are often overlooked, but each one of them is fantastic.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I don't know about 'easily missed', but these are films people have seem to forgotten about for some reason.

Master & Commander
The Seventh Seal
The Lion in Winter
Children of Men

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Staying with Saulnier, Murder Party is excellent and Hold the Dark is worth the time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
How about Fitzcarraldo? The gist of it is a would-be rubber baron with big dreams in early 20th century Peru figures a way to get the rubber by pulling a ship up a mountain. It's over 150 minutes long and the making of the film is almost as interesting as the film itself, since the film crew really did pull a ship over a mountain.

large_m4yFsA9BOu9UBDqloBznmm3ejY4.jpg

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Aguirre also; hell, all of the Herzog/Kinski ones.