Firearm enthusiast thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Boys, I’m actually worried about the proposed Home Build Ban.

That’s pretty scary. I know we talked about it in the other thread but this bill is ludicrous. Yes, the proliferation of 80% receivers in part due to this. That said, there has to be a point where an object isn’t a firearm even if it can be turned in to one simply by putting it in a CNC mill. The alternative is we do like Europe and make barrels or bolts the serialized part which is just plain dumb.

I just don’t want actual home gunsmithing to die. I still want to make some homemade guns.

And shit like this will probably result in me becoming a criminal. Sigh.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Holosun red dot? I’m surprised how far the red dot market has come in the past ten years. Anything to be aware of when getting iron sights? Will standard height sights work - I won’t need suppressor height because CA is lame and I cant go suppressed.

I guess my build will be G17 grip length with G19 slide/barrel. Probably have the slide RMR cut.

Any thoughts as to internals? I’ll probably go Glock OEM initially.

Vortex venom.
You will need suppressor height sites even if you don't plan on to suppress.
Standard sights won't cut it. You will want them anyway because the dot is hard to pick up at first and gets lost very easily. The S/H sites will act like a reference point & make it way easier because they will co-witness.
Once you get used to it it becomes natural.
Make sure you do your homework.
I'm pretty sure a G19 slide/barrel WILL NOT fit a G17 frame. It has something to do with the location of the locking block IIRC.
I bought my slide from Brownells, they offer them with and without mrds cuts.
I can't remember where I bought the extended/threaded barrel from. (I think it was also Brownells)
The mini comp on mine came from Griffin.
I just used factory Glock internals because they were the cheapest and I had already spent enough money building that thing.
SERIOUSLY consider buying the firing pin sleeve tool.
I didn't and installing that was a pain in the balls without it.
I'll try to answer any other questions if you have 'em.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think the frame I bought is a G19 frame. They grip itself is designed so you can adjust the length of the actual grip. You have two interchangeable extensions: G17 and G19. Pretty neat design. The extension snaps in and then you hold it in place with a pin. So G17 grip but G19 frame. If that makes sense: you have to install one of the extensions before can really grip the pistol. I only have G17 mags.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I think the frame I bought is a G19 frame. They grip itself is designed so you can adjust the length of the actual grip. You have two interchangeable extensions: G17 and G19. Pretty neat design. The extension snaps in and then you hold it in place with a pin. So G17 grip but G19 frame. If that makes sense: you have to install one of the extensions before can really grip the pistol. I only have G17 mags.

Sounds like a fun project Lagduf, let us know when it’s done and how it shoots. It’s awesome how customizable glocks have become.

As far as mags go I have a Glock branded magazine holder that holds 10 standard mags in my truck with the Glock I keep in there, here is a stock picture of what I’m talking about
0F2649F5-5729-4E12-AC61-DD7282D1534C.jpeg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I kind of want that now as an excuse to get more mags.

Allegedly the 3D printable Glock mags available are actually really good.

HellioN

20 Year Member

Sounds neat.
Just remember, if you go G17 length only G17 mags will fit.
If you go G19 length you can use both G17 & G19 mags.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I kind of want that now as an excuse to get more mags.

Allegedly the 3D printable Glock mags available are actually really good.

I have three of them. One for my 17, 19, and 21. The three different type mags fit great and the case has strong cardboard core that keeps The mags still. I can’t recommend these cases enough.

I think I paid around 20-25 for them a few years ago.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm a fickle fella...I'll admit it.

I'm working on a deal to sell 1K 9mm NATO and 400 rounds of mil surp M193 5.56 to free up some funds. I'm still planning on getting that 460 S&W 10" BFR. The issue with that is finding the actual gun (25% chance) and reloading components as I have no brass, primers, or projectiles for a 460 (especially the large rifle magnum primers I'll need). Long story short, it's going to be a while.

I was at the range yesterday and met a guy who was trying to sight in a Bergara premier ridgeback in 6.5 creedmoor:

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/premier/ridgeback-rifle/

He had a nice scope on it, a very sufficient Vortex...not top end, but close to the one I have on my bench AR. Either way, I was shooting mine with some 69 and 77 grain Sierra match kind reloads...actually had a great session. Average group size with the 69g was .717", the 77g was a slightly higher .850"...but that's because I fudged one group. Either way, it was sub MOA shooting and I was super pleased.

He noticed my shooting and asked for help as he had been struggling sighting in his rifle. Super nice guy, he and I started talking for a bit. Long story short, he and I got it sighted in...and shooting that thing was NICE. I'll admit that it got me thinking about getting one for myself...I almost had myself convinced to look at one of those vs the BFR...almost, but I need to stay on target and get what I had been planning on...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I may put the cart before the horse here...not sure. Give or take, I'm within close distance of having the $$ for the BFR...but obviously, no place has on in stock (weird as this doesn't seem like a panic driven gun to buy). Either way, I have found the necessary projectiles, brass, and loading dies online and I can get them now. I'm contemplating getting them now so I have the materials I need whenever I can get my mitts on that cannon. The problem is, the base materials is $200 so I'm not sure.

*EDIT*
Screw it...I ordered the materials. At least I don't have to worry about that part now.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ammo now, gun later.

I must have missed it, what caliber is this monster in?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ammo now, gun later.

I must have missed it, what caliber is this monster in?

460 S&W.

This may land up being a monumental mistake...who knows, but I'm addicted to big bore shooting and want a cannon for rest shooting only, and at 100+ yds. I'm pretty set on the BFR 10", for the weight and control of the thing. Straight-wall carts are easy to load and the 460 is made for a shorter barrel unlike the other BFR offerings of 30/30, 444 marlin, 45-70, .450 marlin.

The 460v, vs the 500 S&W is known for lighter bullets are high speed. For example, I'll primarily be loading 240g and 300g projectiles. For example, I've loaded 240g projectiles for my Super Redhawk pushing the 1600 fps range. Loads that aren't even pushing max PSI for the 460 will shove that 240g at pushing 2300 fps. 460 caps out at under 400g projectiles where 500 is a flat out monster that has loads up to a massive 700g projectile!

Either way, that BFR is sold out everywhere so it's going to be a while. I figured I'd just get a jump on the loading materials when I can find them.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I didn’t miss it, I’m just dumb. In my defense S&W uses letters and numbers for their guns and I’m easily confused.

I don’t think it’s a dumb purchase if you’re having fun.

The "460 S&W Magnum" is confusing...especially figuring it isn't technically a 460. It's a longer 454 Casull which is a longer 45 Colt.

That I know of, the 500 S&W was a ground up design with no original parent cart (unlike the 454 or even the 44 and 357 magnum).

There's something about the hard boomers that I really like. I've been shooting primarily 44 magnum for months now, I currently shoot it more than anything else.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Grabbed a Ruger Charger on the cheap the other day...

Gonna chuck a pistol brace and binary on it.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I thought about the charger pistol.
Ended up with another AR instead.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Nice, what manufacturer and model? I wish a new rifle or two were on my radar but I think I’m set for the foreseeable future.

Just a dedicated.22 AR pistol upper from PSA.
It's similar to the 5.56 version I slapped together a year or so before.
Before the pandemic/looting/election buying panic, stuff had become so cheap I'm coming across things I forgot I bought.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm still dealing mentally with the money-pit that is my stupid AR pistol. The thing is pretty much useless in most ways, especially figuring that I cannot suppress it here in Ill. I've kicked around converting it to 300 BLK, but factory ammo has remained costly and I despise reloading necked rifle rounds, especially in bulk. Converting it to 9mm is very costly and I don't want to dump that much $$ into something that is already really overly costly.

Along comes 350 legend. This one interests me, big time. It can be very effective from a short barrel AR, it really doesn't lose a ton of velocity until you're under 10" and even then it is still effective down to around 5-6". It is a straight wall round, small rifle primer, uses common pistol powder and should be super easy to reload. I'd need a barrel and some magazines. I guess you can convert mags, but its just easier to buy ones made for the round.

I'll sit back and let this one soak for a bit, but I may land up going this route.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Man...I know this is a serious first world problem, but it seems that 460 BFR is now discontinued. I contacted Magnum Research and they told me they've cut them....but wait, I could get one from their fucking "custom shop" if I wanted one.

Sure...custom shop.

What that means is the exact model I wanted, one that was just over $1000 to $1300 tops would run me $40 under $2000 to get the same damn thing.

Nope.

Fucking sucks as I bought a bunch of reloading supplies for the round...really irritated.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Gunbroker? Gunshows?

BFRs are a strange duck. There aren't any 460 BFRs on GB at the moment. I've never seen one, in any caliber, in person...not one.

About the only high end single action I've ever seen is once I saw a Freedom Arms....and they take "expensive" to a whole new level.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Man...I know this is a serious first world problem, but it seems that 460 BFR is now discontinued. I contacted Magnum Research and they told me they've cut them....but wait, I could get one from their fucking "custom shop" if I wanted one.

Sure...custom shop.

What that means is the exact model I wanted, one that was just over $1000 to $1300 tops would run me $40 under $2000 to get the same damn thing.

Nope.

Fucking sucks as I bought a bunch of reloading supplies for the round...really irritated.

Man that sucks... do you think you might be able to make the ammo and than sell it so the hit isn't so bad?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Weird twist to this story.

I was posting on another forum about not being able to get a BFR and that I was considering getting a S&W 460. This lead me to getting a PM from a member offering a new BFR for sale and that lead to he and I talking for a good 45 min yesterday.

To sum it up, this dude is a 460 fanatic and has probably forgotten more about firearms than I know. Guy worked with Dick Casull and early Freedom Arms, worked with S&W on load development as well as other wildcat developers, know a ton about 460. He has a safe of nothing but his 460 firearms. Being from Texas, he was super friendly and more than willing to tell me everything.

A few things came up. He asked me if I've shot many of the hyper revolver rounds and I told him no. He asked me if I've ever shot a single action and again, my answer is no. He then went on to tell me that SA revolvers get notably more difficult to handle as the round pressure goes up. (I recall a magazine article from the 80's where a dud shooting a shorter barrel freedom SA in 454 was frame by frame getting smacked with it in the head, they whip up that bad) He then said, and I pretty much quote "I can shoot the X-frame Smith pretty much all day, a good 50 or so rounds from the BFR and I'm done".

That statement got to me.

He and I are still in the works for his 7.5" BFR...but I'm really thinking of getting a 460 in a X-frame Smith now.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Woah.

A Three judge panel of the 9th, the fricking 9th circuit court of appeals just ruled large capacity magazines are protected by the second amendment.

The crux of the decision seems to be that the state can regulate things which are dangerous and unusual but large capacity magazines are in common use, and therefore by being in common use are the “antithesis” of dangerous and unusual.

Decision was 2-1, I’ll have to read it in full when I’m home.

If you recall two years back a lower court Judge had essentially ruled similarly and we had “freedom week” in CA where we could buy regular mags. I scored a couple myself and assembled all my standard cap mags.

That decision was then stayed pending appeal, further litigation, whatevs.

No movement yet in CA but i think the original judge can rescind the order. We’re certain to see more movement on this case as IIRC it can be sent to an en banc hearing at the 9th or possibly being petitioned before SCOTUS.

Happy Friday, and if you don’t live in a dumbass state make sure you enjoy your freedoms!

Here’s a link (pro-2a) about it:

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/9th-...ity-firearm-magazines-protected-2nd-amendment

Last edited: