English Neo Geo CD Titles

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Ive been thinking about collecting english Neo CD releases. The thing is, I wanted to ask some of the more up to date veterans out there. Surely all the AES/MVS games do is go up in value. That's whats so cool about the Neo in general. Its a hobby thats not a total money drain like collecting for a lot of other consoles is.

My question is this, is it the same with the Neo CD games? Specifically the English/US versions?

I know that the CD games in general are nowhere near the cart prices, and likely never will be, but do they scale with the cart games? Are they rare/collectible enough to where dropping a bunch of money completing an english CD library wont be worth zero in a few years?

I havent batted an eye paying for expensive carts before because I always know Ill at least get that much back out of the cart. They dont really decrease in value, at least that ive seen. Certainly would never lose almost all of their value etc like games on other consoles sometimes do for whatever reason. So before I go collect for the neo CD (english) I just wanted to make sure it was a similar experience.

Thanks, and any info is helpful!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Spoiler:
e2LnoGp.gif

-SD-

Camel Slug
:rolleyes:

If you're that bothered about loosing your 'investment' then just play the ROMz.

Otherwise find another hobby to invest in, like the stock market.....

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've never bought anything with the idea that it'll be worth more later other than property and even then who cares at least you own. This whole idea of investing in video games is a completely stupid idea, those who are seen as having invested are simply those who've lucked out with buying obsessively before it was a big deal and selling big when it was.

What's 'cool' about the Neo is not the money it will bring you later but the fun that can be had with the titles it offers. Go back to the market forum or ebay or fuck off completely, no one cares.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
DO NOT try to collect English CD games. Down that path lies madness. Pick up the Japanese copies, then if you happen to see an English copy pop up once in a while, grab it.

Also, if you're worried about prices dropping off, fuck off. Buy because you want to play the game, not recoup your "investment."

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend trying to collect English CD titles. Many are legitimately rare. Many hardly ever come up for sale. IIRC, even 8man doesn't have all of them.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend trying to collect English CD titles. Many are legitimately rare. Many hardly ever come up for sale. IIRC, even 8man doesn't have all of them.
It's the same with Neo CD games. Specifically the English/US versions.

Thank you guys for actual helpful responses without getting triggered and assuming a bunch of stuff about someone you don't know =] I just wanted a legit way to play games and have a collection I was proud of. It's cool to me that the english CDs are physically rare, that makes me be able to justify spending a bit for them, as is the case with other consoles where physical rarity is the prime reason titles are expensive. Before conferring with you guys I could only really check ebay to see how the CD titles were selling and ebay is shit for a price guide so I had to take it with a huge grain of salt.
So again, thank you, I appreciate the info. Maybe I'll only grab the CD titles that I cant seem to get ahold of on another format.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I wasn't even aware the neo geo CD was a thing until the mid 2000s. I can't imagine how rare the actual U.S. releases were. I'm assuming these weren't sold in The united states at places like Toys R Us right? Do we know what stores carried them?

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
.. That's whats so cool about the Neo in general. Its a hobby thats not a total money drain like collecting for a lot of other consoles is.

i agree 100% with that. and yes: when you buy neo geo cds, you ll get a most of the time "price stable" collection, if you dont buy overpriced...

personally i have a small collection of jap/us cds...just for the fun of it...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I wasn't even aware the neo geo CD was a thing until the mid 2000s. I can't imagine how rare the actual U.S. releases were. I'm assuming these weren't sold in The united states at places like Toys R Us right? Do we know what stores carried them?
Good point. Unlike Neo Geo Pocket, which did see distribution to EB/Gamestop, NGCD was mostly mail order only in the States. Mainstream stores did not carry them. I knew one specialty used store locally that carried them. I had mostly US version NGCDs back in the day. Actually, they had about the same distribution as AES carts.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Good point. Unlike Neo Geo Pocket, which did see distribution to EB/Gamestop, NGCD was mostly mail order only in the States. Mainstream stores did not carry them. I knew one specialty used store locally that carried them. I had mostly US version NGCDs back in the day. Actually, they had about the same distribution as AES carts.

Great info, thanks. That explains a lot.

8man

Administrator

He's right. There are a handful of English CDs that are really hard to find, and rarely come up for sale (it will take you years to find them, if you can find them at all). On top of that, many of the collectors out there are missing many of the English spines.

One BIG collector sold his English CD set years ago, and was missing over 30 English spines.

I do have all the CDs now (ENG and JPN).
I need to update my collection thread.

Some of the hardest English CDs to find (most of the early titles):

• Baseball Stars 2
  • Baseball Stars Professional
  • Blue's Journey
  • Crossed Swords
  • Cyber Lip
  • Frog Feast
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • Last Blade
  • Last Blade 2
  • Magician Lord
  • NAM-1975
  • Neo Turfmasters
  • Ninja Combat
  • Ninja Commando
  • Rally Chase
  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2
  • World Heroes 2 Jet
There are probably others... these were the last that I needed.

Neo Alex said:
NGCD was mostly mail order only in the States. Mainstream stores did not carry them. I knew one specialty used store locally that carried them.

I had several work-training sessions in Minnesota in the 90's (1992-99). From the hotel, I called every game shop in the Yellow Pages, and finally found a mom and pop game store that sold Neo Geo games. I took a 30+ minute taxi ride to get there, and it was worth it!

They had an entire glass case full of NGCDs and a shelving unit in the back (behind a curtain) that stocked around 100 AES games. I bought 10+ AES English games. Including Metal Slug X AES ENG. I had to buy a carry-on suitcase to bring all the games back home.

There was also a game store in the Mall of the Americas that sold NGCDs and English AES games.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
He's right. There are a handful of English CDs that are really hard to find, and rarely come up for sale (it will take you years to find them, if you can find them at all). On top of that, many of the collectors out there are missing many of the English spines.

One BIG collector sold his English CD set years ago, and was missing over 30 English spines.

I do have all the CDs now (ENG and JPN).
I need to update my collection thread.

Some of the hardest English CDs to find (most of the early titles):

• Baseball Stars 2
  • Baseball Stars Professional
  • Blue's Journey
  • Crossed Swords
  • Cyber Lip
  • Frog Feast
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • Last Blade
  • Last Blade 2
  • Magician Lord
  • NAM-1975
  • Neo Turfmasters
  • Ninja Combat
  • Ninja Commando
  • Rally Chase
  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2
  • World Heroes 2 Jet
There are probably others... these were the last that I needed.

I had several work-training sessions in Minnesota in the 90's (1992-99). From the hotel, I called every game shop in the Yellow Pages, and finally found a mom and pop game store that sold Neo Geo games. I took a 30+ minute taxi ride to get there, and it was worth it!

They had an entire glass case full of NGCDs and a shelving unit in the back (behind a curtain) that stocked around 100 AES games. I bought 10+ AES English games. Including Metal Slug X AES ENG. I had to buy a carry-on suitcase to bring all the games back home.

There was also a game store in the Mall of the Americas that sold NGCDs and English AES games.

Thanks for sharing ! What a good old days in the 90s........................

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
As a neo fan who has been collecting English Neo Geo CD for 20 years. Here is my 2 cents:

Just as GohanX and 8man has pointed out, English version NGCD are very hard to find and they hardly pop up for sale on Ebay/forum. No one exactly knows how many copies were produced for each game.

After 20 years, I am still missing Magician Lord, Ninja Commando and Ninja Combat; back insert of Crossed Swords and World Heroes 2 Jet. Looking for a complete set of ENG NGCD will drive you nuts!!

Early titles are extremely hard to come by and here is the "rare" list based on based on my experience:

Very Rare:
Blue's Journey - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD (NOTE: never seen a spinecard)
Crossed Swords - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD (NOTE: never seen a spinecard)
Magician Lord - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD
Ninja Combat - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD (NOTE: never seen a spinecard)
Ninja Commando - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD (NOTE: never seen a spinecard)
Rally Chase - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD (NOTE: never seen a spinecard)
World Heroes 2 Jet - comes with ENG booklet & back insert, but Japanese CD (NOTE: never seen a spinecard)

The Rare:
3 Count Bout
Baseball Star Professional
Cyber Lip
The Last Blade 1
NAM-1975
Riding Hero
Top Player's Golf
World Heroes 1
World Heroes 2

8man is also right about missing spinecards

If you want to collect ENG NGCD for investment purpose, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Surely all the AES/MVS games do is go up in value. That's whats so cool about the Neo in general. Its a hobby thats not a total money drain like collecting for a lot of other consoles is.

Uh, no. What's so cool about the Neo is its arcade-at-home gold standard, its scarcity and obscurity, its huge cartridges and kitschy joysticks, its crazy diverse range of arcade titles and its near-mythic reputation among gamers. Focusing on the money is why nobody can afford a Neo Geo anymore, why only Facebook and YouTube assholes with more money than brains can afford it.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager

This is really curious, IIRC in Spain it was the other way around: while the AES was relatively hard to be seen in shops, the NGCD was quite present when it was launched. There was also a strong marketing campaign during the first few months in gaming magazines. There was this ad which offered exchanging your AES for a "New generation" CD based console! Man, can't imagine someone doing that and not regretting it... will search for this to share it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...its near-mythic reputation among gamers. Focusing on the money is why nobody can afford a Neo Geo anymore, why only Facebook and YouTube assholes with more money than brains can afford it.

That "near-mysticism" is equally based on the high price it cost. Denying that is hypocrisy, naivety or simple ignorance. Back then wasn't any different then right now. Not "focusing on money" is the reason, why nobody can afford it nowadays, it's the endlessly broadened spectrum of all those interested in video games in general.

They all want a share of it and there's not enough left. If video games wouldn't have become the faceless multi-billion entertainment branch they did, there would be plenty of junk left, but then again, maybe you would be elsewhere, too, complaining about some other garbage that would've gone up in price? Pop-culture often moves in mysterious ways.

I personally think it is blasphemous and that you are a child of Satan to even consider selling your video games. Any video game store that I go into learn very quickly not to even to suggest me bring in my old games to sell.

Games are for enjoyment in the playing.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I personally think it is blasphemous and that you are a child of Satan to even consider selling your video games. Any video game store that I go into learn very quickly not to even to suggest me bring in my old games to sell.

Games are for enjoyment in the playing.
so, do you play all of your old games all of the time?

so, do you play all of your old games all of the time?

I dwell in retro gaming. It is my gaming time. Late 80's and the 90's I consider the golden years of video games. Modern systems just do not attract me at all. I think it is because those early game had the arcade influence which I love. This month I have played nothing but Super Famicom games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I dwell in retro gaming. It is my gaming time. Late 80's and the 90's I consider the golden years of video games. Modern systems just do not attract me at all. I think it is because those early game had the arcade influence which I love. This month I have played nothing but Super Famicom games.

This sounds so silly.