Cyborg Force, new 2023 project

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The opening to the first level has the character flying down to the ground in a ship. I got reminded of it with the descending to martian service intro. Since Halloween Harry was an influence I just wanted to check about this other game from the same era 😄
Getting shot down at the beginning has to be inspired by Contra Hard Corps.

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach
For the ones that have bought the game, Do you recommend it? it will be my first hombrew ^^

We've had very few reviews, and they range from 6/10 to 10/10 so far.
In short, people generally say the music is +, and graphics are -, which is something you can easily appreciate yourself in the various videos posted :)

The divisive bit is the difficulty, and the how the gameplay actually needs to get familiar with, on pain of repeated, humiliating deaths :keke:

We tried to make it so it plays like an arcade game of the early 1990s, for good and bad; not like a modern game on an old system... One player was very angry that you couldn't credit feed the game to the end (as spending a credit respawns you at the beginning of a level). Another one said it was too easy for "serious players". So honestly, it's really down to what you're expecting. If you're not sure, you can try out the PC version, it's the cheapest of the bunch; it will even be up on Steam on May 6th with 15% off.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
... One player was very angry that you couldn't credit feed the game to the end (as spending a credit respawns you at the beginning of a level). Another one said it was too easy for "serious players".
Game difficulty in 2024 in a nutshell. Most are too lazy to "git gud" and the few who actually play games are busy shaming everyone else.

alemany89

n00b
We've had very few reviews, and they range from 6/10 to 10/10 so far.
In short, people generally say the music is +, and graphics are -, which is something you can easily appreciate yourself in the various videos posted :)

The divisive bit is the difficulty, and the how the gameplay actually needs to get familiar with, on pain of repeated, humiliating deaths :keke:

We tried to make it so it plays like an arcade game of the early 1990s, for good and bad; not like a modern game on an old system... One player was very angry that you couldn't credit feed the game to the end (as spending a credit respawns you at the beginning of a level). Another one said it was too easy for "serious players". So honestly, it's really down to what you're expecting. If you're not sure, you can try out the PC version, it's the cheapest of the bunch; it will even be up on Steam on May 6th with 15% off.

For sure i will buy it Johnny, thanks for the tip about taking first the pc version and then jumping to other platforms, thats the approach that i will take.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
One player was very angry that you couldn't credit feed the game to the end (as spending a credit respawns you at the beginning of a level).
that's the kind of brainlet that claims all arcade games are coin munchers and the same thing as modern microtransactions

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Time to wishlist it:

alemany89

n00b
Btw @Johnny16Bit do you know if its posible to have cheats for the unibios menu?

Also i had one question, does the mvs mode has not a insert coin option? im playing on a neosd pro but i have limited lifes.

Best regards!

Last edited:

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach
Btw @Johnny16Bit do you know if its posible to have cheats for the unibios menu?
Also i had one question, does the mvs mode has not a insert coin option? im playing but i have limited lifes.
Best regards!

Hey there! :)
No, there's no unibios cheat. The more lives you can get from the options is 5 / credit; as you respawn at the beginning of a level when you take a credit the only real way to cheat the game is to credit feed and alternate 1p & 2p ;)

Have fun 🤟

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Can we buy a rom that is known to work on the dark soft cart ?

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach
Ey @Johnny16Bit thanks for the tip!

the problem is that im not respawning at the begining of the level, the game auto restarts, i dont have even the chance to use any credit to restart at the begining of the level, see the video attached:

Regards!

Hey there

Looks like a softdip option (continue = no) or more likely a dipswitch / unibios interaction thing. Check your hard dips and see if #7 is on - and if so, switch it to off.

Can we buy a rom that is known to work on the dark soft cart ?

Yes, the "neo rom" bundle for download actually contains the rom under plenty of different formats (analogue pocket, neoSD, MVSX/ASP, Mame, MiSTer and DarkSoft).
"Full" bundle adds PC win, Dreamcast and PSP.

EDIT: oh, our friend Charles just shared an ungoobing video

Last edited:

yagamikun

Akari's Big Brother
20 Year Member
Is the game any good? The videos I've seen are...underwhelming? It's only $10 bucks on Steam but no reviews and it's been out since May.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Is the game any good? The videos I've seen are...underwhelming? It's only $10 bucks on Steam but no reviews and it's been out since May.

I dropped 20 on the digital - probably while drunk. I've given it a few minutes and it's very "homebrew" albeit ambitiously so. Out the gate, the controls are just completely wrong and you have to fix them in options every time. Difficulty seems wonky as well. It takes me back to shareware days, so I am gonna give it a fair run to get my $20 out of it. Music is great.

When you boot up they have these reversed. But in my opinion "X" is UNIVERSALLY SHOOT, and "A" is UNIVERSALLY JUMP

1724436722823.png

NeoSeeD

Rugal's Thug
Regarding the way that it plays, it definitely feels like it was mostly inspired by Contra, which is a good thing since Metal Slug and Contra play almost nothing alike so it differentiates the gameplay styles quite a bit. Cyborg Force does still feel very homebrew in terms of animation, presentation, art, and performance.

Basically, it's nowhere near as good a a classic Slug or Contra game and comically overpriced for a 16-bit homebrew quality game if you are looking to buy a cart. If you pick it up for cheap through itch.io or steam, it might be a decent distraction for a bit but ultimately, I'd like the dev to continue to improve the game with quality of life improvements until it feels more polished.

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach
I dropped 20 on the digital - probably while drunk. I've given it a few minutes and it's very "homebrew" albeit ambitiously so. Out the gate, the controls are just completely wrong and you have to fix them in options every time. Difficulty seems wonky as well. It takes me back to shareware days, so I am gonna give it a fair run to get my $20 out of it. Music is great.

When you boot up they have these reversed. But in my opinion "X" is UNIVERSALLY SHOOT, and "A" is UNIVERSALLY JUMP

View attachment 77853

Cheers :beer:
Controls on a DC pad do take a bit to get used to.
As NeoSeeD said, the controls are similar to Contra III, in which there is a "lock position/aim" button. This, on a pad, you'd like to have on a shoulder button - except you can't use the left/right triggers for that on a DC pad.
That's why we opted for the least terrible option, which is "lock" on X, "shoot" on A, "jump" on B and "grenade" on Y, as it's easier to press A+X (which you'll need to do a lot) than A+B.
In the end, you'll be better off playing with a joystick, even if the controls were designed with 4 buttons in line in mind

Re: the difficulty we got a lot of flack from people not switching weapons / not using their 2 weapons slots, and not getting the weapon properties (which are designed in a rock / paper / scissors kind of way), making them think the game wasn't playtested. It's uncompromisingly old school. Too much for its own good apparently. But the entire game was designed around this weapon system being "have the right weapon and slaughter everyone or have the wrong weapon and get slaughtered big time". :)

Regarding the way that it plays, it definitely feels like it was mostly inspired by Contra, which is a good thing since Metal Slug and Contra play almost nothing alike so it differentiates the gameplay styles quite a bit. Cyborg Force does still feel very homebrew in terms of animation, presentation, art, and performance.

Basically, it's nowhere near as good a a classic Slug or Contra game and comically overpriced for a 16-bit homebrew quality game if you are looking to buy a cart. If you pick it up for cheap through itch.io or steam, it might be a decent distraction for a bit but ultimately, I'd like the dev to continue to improve the game with quality of life improvements until it feels more polished.

The Switch version is already out in the NOE zone (the patch for 2 players is coming in September), and will be released in NOA+JP zones next month. It's the latest & also the cheapest version you can get :)

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The Switch version is already out in the NOE zone (the patch for 2 players is coming in September), and will be released in NOA+JP zones next month. It's the latest & also the cheapest version you can get :)
Is there a Switch physical coming?