CRT Fetish Thread

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
Sony KX-2910 : does anybody have any info on this monitor? Is it good, bad, compared to PVM series?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Sold my PVM to a good home (forum member) and now I am going back to the WEGA. Happy days!

Chaotic Mind

New Challenger
Got my 29" arcade CRT in.

u2rSMvW.jpg

JPkuPxo.jpg

lqemrXJ.jpg

And also just because, the 2 MV1C boards I got.

rHVU1V3.jpg

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new Sony PVM 2950Q. I've never had the chance to pick up a specialty monitor capable of rgb display and my AES is stock...no mods. Is it worth picking up this monitor and is possible to buy adaptors to just plug and play with my current AV cables until I can hunt down an RGB modded AES?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new Sony PVM 2950Q. I've never had the chance to pick up a specialty monitor capable of rgb display and my AES is stock...no mods. Is it worth picking up this monitor and is possible to buy adaptors to just plug and play with my current AV cables until I can hunt down an RGB modded AES?

Your Neo is capable of RGB without mods, what you're looking at is getting an RGB cable into BNC outputs for that PVM. Where in the world did you find a brand new 2950Q at?

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Your Neo is capable of RGB without mods, what you're looking at is getting an RGB cable into BNC outputs for that PVM. Where in the world did you find a brand new 2950Q at?

Was surprised to find it locally. A new company bought out an old broadcasting building and it had 2 of them just left there. One sealed in its box and the other in "excellent" condition as the seller said. Thanks for your response BTW.

Dvdx2

n00b
Was surprised to find it locally. A new company bought out an old broadcasting building and it had 2 of them just left there. One sealed in its box and the other in "excellent" condition as the seller said. Thanks for your response BTW.

Fantastic find! Pics if you buy them!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
yes, deffo buy both! and this might be one of the rare cases where an "unboxing" video could be cool.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
yes, deffo buy both! and this might be one of the rare cases where an "unboxing" video could be cool.

Update on this deal. The seller has been slow to respond but says both PVMs are brand new with one in box. I asked to test it out and he took a week to send me this one pic. Can any of you 2950Q owners confirm the horizontal line across the top is part of the menu?Screenshot_20170809-184131.png

Here's the very first pick he sent when I started inquiring. Looks pretty clean.Screenshot_20170809-184935.png

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that horizontal line is a common problem that a cap kit should fix.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't think it's a problem. When I put my PVM 2950Q into 16:9 mode (which that one is in), that line is at the very top of the scanned area of the tube.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I don't think it's a problem. When I put my PVM 2950Q into 16:9 mode (which that one is in), that line is at the very top of the scanned area of the tube.

Yep, pretty normal in that situation. It's single lines of red/green/blue used for calibration that are usually just overscanned off the screen after the setup process. 16:9 mode can obviously bring them back into the visible area on the tube. On the newer PVMs there is a setting for moving them, V BLANKING if I remember right, but I don't know if you can get it outside a 16:9 picture or not.

xsq

looking great... if they're not too expensive, I advise a swift pickup.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
looking great... if they're not too expensive, I advise a swift pickup.

Just waiting on the seller's response. Only picking up the boxed one because he wants an arm and a leg...but I've been waiting, dreaming of finding either a brand new top tier crt, pvm or bvm for years...and finally found one. Not letting this go unless he screws me over and sells to somebody else first. Would buy both but I've been going nuts over the last year so I gotta give somewhere.

Thanks for checking on that!

Last edited:

xsq

@benjiedude:
Don't be too dumb for forums. PLZ. Use the icon to the very right below posts. It looks like this: . [Or copy everything into one post. The sections in between the "QUOTE" tags are what others said.]

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
So...back from checking out the Sony PVM 2950Q's. Here's my story:
Before I left, I asked for the seller to test them out and send me pics of it running something. Took him days but he did today finally. I was satisfied enough to meet up. I made sure to ask again if these were new and he confirmed yet again they both were new and in their respective boxes when they entered the building they bought. They did however take them out of the boxes to see if there was anyway they could use these things for their business and then threw the boxes away ( I was like damn...I'm a box freak). I felt that this guy could be bullshitting me at this point because without seeing the monitor in the box there's a chance these things were old and used up quite a bit as is. I figure still worth checking out and remind him I only want to buy one because I don't want to spend that much. He's cool with it so I hop in the car for an hour and half drive. I reflect on my early teenage years during this time and how I drooled over the prospect of achieving true RGB graphics from my gaming systems back in the 1990's as the magazine articles and video magazines I read had explained. I was possibly close to achieving it all these years later.
I pull up to the building, they buzz me in and it's a mess inside as they are under construction. I meet with Brad, the guy who was selling the monitors for his company and who I had heckling for over a week by email. He had agreed to let me see them working when I got there and d shows me to the room they're in. There they sat...full if dust from the construction going on but as I gazed closer, looked pretty damn good. I looked all around these suckers for dings, scrapes or cracks....nothing was found. Brad turns on a Pioneer DVD player that is hooked up via Monster SVideo cable. My PVM virgin eyes see this amazing picture of some I Love Lucy bullshit. Shit looks absolutely amazing... Like I can see each individual pixel, clear color separation beauty with scan lines. I begin to picture what my Neo Geo, Turbo Duo and JVC XEye will look like playing through RGB cables if this shit looks looks this good. The guys there with Brad are all staring at me like I'm some dumb fuck living in the past as my eyes are now moist and glaring at Lucille Ball in amazement. Then the best part of all...Brad says " Can you put both of em in your car?" I said I could but sorry I can't pay for both of them man. He then says to me..."eh, just take em both for the price of one man. We're so busy trying to get this construction done we just want all this old shit out" I said sure thing man! Thanks. They even loaded them up for me. The picture on these are the most amazing thing I've seen compared to the best brand new CRT's I looked at back in the day. Words can't describe just how great the picture was. Now, in the next few days/weeks, I need to figure out how to get the most out of them and where to buy the correct cables and sync box...as I read this monitor can be finicky. Lots to learn here but excited for sure to have finally gotten an amazing monitor after all these years.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Before I left, I asked for the seller to test them out and send me pics of it running something. Took him days but he did today finally. I was satisfied enough to meet up. I made sure to ask again if these were new and he confirmed yet again they both were new and in their respective boxes when they entered the building they bought. They did however take them out of the boxes to see if there was anyway they could use these things for their business and then threw the boxes away ( I was like damn...I'm a box freak). I felt that this guy could be bullshitting me at this point because without seeing the monitor in the box there's a chance these things were old and used up quite a bit as is. I figure still worth checking out and remind him I only want to buy one because I don't want to spend that much. He's cool with it so I hop in the car for an hour and half drive. I reflect on my early teenage years during this time and how I drooled over the prospect of achieving true RGB graphics from my gaming systems back in the 1990's as the magazine articles and video magazines I read had explained. I was possibly close to achieving it all these years later.
I pull up to the building, they buzz me in and it's a mess inside as they are under construction. I meet with Brad, the guy who was selling the monitors for his company and who I had heckling for over a week by email. He had agreed to let me see them working when I got there and d shows me to the room they're in. There they sat...full if dust from the construction going on but as I gazed closer, looked pretty damn good. I looked all around these suckers for dings, scrapes or cracks....nothing was found. Brad turns on a Pioneer DVD player that is hooked up via Monster SVideo cable. My PVM virgin eyes see this amazing picture of some I Love Lucy bullshit. Shit looks absolutely amazing... Like I can see each individual pixel, clear color separation beauty with scan lines. I begin to picture what my Neo Geo, Turbo Duo and JVC XEye will look like playing through RGB cables if this shit looks looks this good. The guys there with Brad are all staring at me like I'm some dumb fuck living in the past as my eyes are now moist and glaring at Lucille Ball in amazement. Then the best part of all...Brad says " Can you put both of em in your car?" I said I could but sorry I can't pay for both of them man. He then says to me..."eh, just take em both for the price of one man. We're so busy trying to get this construction done we just want all this old shit out" I said sure thing man! Thanks. They even loaded them up for me. The picture on these are the most amazing thing I've seen compared to the best brand new CRT's I looked at back in the day. Words can't describe just how great the picture was. Now, in the next few days/weeks, I need to figure out how to get the most out of them and where to buy the correct cables and sync box...as I read this monitor can be finicky. Lots to learn here but excited for sure to have finally gotten an amazing monitor after all these years.

You didn't learn to separate paragraphs in your school?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Fucks this buddy? No one wants to read this shit.