CRT Fetish Thread

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
They just have one PPU instead of two but they are not an SNES-on-a-chip. They do have very very minor glitches here and there though. I never noticed a jumping glitch in that game when I had mine though.

Is there a list of games with issues somewhere? I should check what version my SNES is.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Is there a list of games with issues somewhere? I should check what version my SNES is.

That I do not know, sorry. It is nothing game breaking however. I used the 1-Chip for a long time and never noticed anything that would make me want to go back to the older models.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I never noticed a jumping glitch in that game when I had mine though.

Yeah, I don't recall that either and I played the hell outta Super GnG on the Snes mini.

Will need to revisit it again and see.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
They just have one PPU instead of two but they are not an SNES-on-a-chip. They do have very very minor glitches here and there though. I never noticed a jumping glitch in that game when I had mine though.

Aren't the CPU and both PPU's merged into a single chip? I put "basically a 1chip" because clearly it isn't an FPGA or anything, so I was using a bit of hyperbole.

Super Turrican has a game-breaking bug on the 1chip units.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Aren't the CPU and both PPU's merged into a single chip? I put "basically a 1chip" because clearly it isn't an FPGA or anything, so I was using a bit of hyperbole.

Super Turrican has a game-breaking bug on the 1chip units.

yup the cpu is also in the same chip. what bug did turrican have? I did not notice any bugs but i did not play through the whole game.

jox43w

New Challenger
Guy's ive finally found a BVM local to me can anybody advise me on the Sony BVM-20E1E model specifically? Is this a good one to get?

Ut2Lp6K.jpg

xFnt3cb.jpg

aZEflxU.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Games on my original xbox, don't look as sharp as my Saturn on my PVM. Both are using Euro Scart leads, into a Bainbridge, broke out to BNCs.

What gives?

Only notion I have, is that the xbox is displaying 480i.

Does the OG xbox not do 240p?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I believe the Xbox does some shitty filtering on all output.

It doesn't look bad until you directly compare it to another source.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The xbox looks best through component video in 480p/720p. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a 240p video mode, so it's probably displaying in 480i.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Guy's ive finally found a BVM local to me can anybody advise me on the Sony BVM-20E1E model specifically? Is this a good one to get?

Ut2Lp6K.jpg

xFnt3cb.jpg

aZEflxU.jpg
How much does it cost? The best BVMs are the multisync ones.

jox43w

New Challenger
How much does it cost? The best BVMs are the multisync ones.

Too much lol, Thing is BVM's here are super rare so im willing to pay to get one, I honestly don't understand the technical jargon (althought i am very slowly picking it up as i go along), im just going by what people recommend and that's that the BVM's are the ones to go for. Is this one not a multi sync unit? Is that a bad thing?

Also can the control units be attached to the bottom of the monitor's? Ive seen some that appear to be so or are they actually permanently originally made that way? I prefer the look of it at the bottom but i can't see how it would work as there are no feet at the back to make it level.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Too much lol, Thing is BVM's here are super rare so im willing to pay to get one, I honestly don't understand the technical jargon (althought i am very slowly picking it up as i go along), im just going by what people recommend and that's that the BVM's are the ones to go for. Is this one not a multi sync unit? Is that a bad thing?

Also can the control units be attached to the bottom of the monitor's? Ive seen some that appear to be so or are they actually permanently originally made that way? I prefer the look of it at the bottom but i can't see how it would work as there are no feet at the back to make it level.

Don't take advice from Joe8 regarding monitors, he has no clue wtf hes talking about. The Monitor you linked is a great monitor, especially for 240p video signals.

jox43w

New Challenger
Don't take advice from Joe8 regarding monitors, he has no clue wtf hes talking about. The Monitor you linked is a great monitor, especially for 240p video signals.

Oh ok lol, Well im litteraly ready to pull the plug and do a deal with the seller, is there anything to check before buying? The last picuture from my post shows the screen with some some sort of multi colour band thing is there anyway to tell from that if its in good condition etc? i assumed the seller posted that picture because it ment something. I read somewhere you can see how many hours it has on it so ive messaged him to see if he can tell me that, Does anybody know what year that model was made from?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Unless you have a scart to BNC breakout cable handy, I would stop by a radio shack, or local equivalent, and buy three rca to bnc adapter plugs and bring a nice component 240p source like a playstation with Raiden Project. Or even a composite source just to have a look. If you have never used one of these you reaction upon seeing it should be nothing short of full arousal.

Also make sure he has the serial cable to connect the control unit to the monitor. Without it you will not be able to change the input settings to test your source.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Oh ok lol, Well im litteraly ready to pull the plug and do a deal with the seller, is there anything to check before buying? The last picuture from my post shows the screen with some some sort of multi colour band thing is there anyway to tell from that if its in good condition etc? i assumed the seller posted that picture because it ment something. I read somewhere you can see how many hours it has on it so ive messaged him to see if he can tell me that, Does anybody know what year that model was made from?

Cameras aren't great for judging picture quality, do that in person. It's pretty normal to see artifacts (for lack of a proper term) in pictures of CRTs.

Normally there's a manufacture date on the monitor, but I don't see one listed in the picture.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

I would take a 240p system such as the NES or SNES. If you don't have the cables to connect it via RGB composite or s-video will be fine. You want to make sure the geometry is good (no overly wavy edges or stuff like that). Also check the corners for any discoloration as if it has been touched by a magnet. Lastly check to make sure the scan lines are still nice and solid. That monitor should have fairly thick and well defined scan lines. If the scan lines are too soft or thin it could mean the flyback is adjusted wrong or the monitor is beginning to wear out. You also want to check the hours on the monitor, they are listed in the service menu somewhere. Lastly check for the issue in the picture at the end of this post. This means the CRT itself is wearing out and personally I would avoid it. A recap might help with this problem but the few monitors I have tried to fix this issue on it did not. The problem is the translucent bars coming off the bright text. This becomes very irritating in games like Mario World.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The Monitor you linked is a great monitor, especially for 240p video signals.
I didn't say that BVM wasn't a good monitor, if you'd actually read my post. Just that multisync, high res (eg, HRTrinitron) or large size (20", 24" or 32") are the best CRT BVMs. But which of those factors is most important to you, or how much you are willing to pay, is another question. 20" monitors are usually cheaper than 32", but they are often not multisync. You could always get another multisync (Multiformat) monitor later on, in any case.

Last edited: