Crash zone, unreleased 1996 viccom game featuring snk characters.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Oh wow - hadn't heard or seen anything about this. Interesting.

Digmac - have you seen anything about this in your vast collection of classic gaming mags?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Definitely the first time i have heard this one mentioned. Looks like it would have been a lot of fun!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Please please please let this one surface, 2021 is the year of big name protos leaking online

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Some really crappy translations from that article:

의 킹오파 캐릭터를 좋아아는 게이머들에게
깜짝 놀랄 만한 타이틀이 발매된다. 「크래쉬
존;이라고 명명된 이 스포츠 께임은 「왕중왕;과
「극조 호권;으로 유명한 국내의 빅큼에서 개발
중이다. 이젠 쿄와 김갑환이 벌이는 멀티 스포즈
게임의 세계로 빠져들어 보자.

For gamers who like the Kingopa character
Sensational titles are released. "Crash Zone"
This sport game is named " King of kings"and

Now Kyo and Kim Gap-hwan are engaged in multi-sport

Let's immerse ourselves in the world of games.

스테이지는 종 8스테이지이고 7
스테이지까지 클리어하게 되면 8
스테이지에서는 18089와 시합을
하게 된다.

11:와 21:가 동시 게임일 때는 7
스테이지 경기가 끝나고 순위가
높은 유저가 8스테이지 보스와 시
합을 하게 된다. 각 경기 전에 게
임 요령법을 친숙히 알고 있는 캐
릭터를 이용해서 게임 조작 방법
을 알려준다

룰게임 조작 방법

레버 조작은 스테이지 마다 약
간씩 다르다. 버튼은 3개를 사용
하며 그 중 ㅅ4. (버튼은 플레이어
를 움직일(오른쪽.왼쪽 다리)때 사
용한다. 8버튼은 특정 스테이지에
서 물건을 던지거나 뛰거나 할 때
사용 한다.

Stage is Bell 8
Stage and 7
When you clear the stage 8
Stage 18089 and bout
It will be done.

11:and 21:are simultaneous games 7
After the stage match, the ranking is
High user 8 stage boss and city
The sum is made. Crab before each match
I'm familiar with the tricks of the casual sex
How to use Rictor to operate the game
Let us know

How to operate the rule game

Lever operation is about every stage
The liver is different. Buttons use 3 pieces
I can't wait to see what's going on in my life. (Button is a player
Move them (right.Left leg) When buying
for. 8 buttons on a specific stage
When you stand, throw, run, or do things
Should be used.

킴 오브 파이터즈 '96의 시합이 끝나고
루갈의 사악한 계획도 사라졌다.

그 후로부터 1년이 지났다. 전세계의 권;
법가들에게 한장의 편지가 도착했다. 그

스테이지는 자신이 원하는 스테
이지를 선택한 후 시작할 수 있다.
첫 경기 후 다음 경기 종목은 자동
선택된다.

버닝 대시. 해머 드
로우. 하이퍼 점핑.
스나이퍼, 8 헤리
어. 파워 리플렉터.
점핑 크로스. 라스
= 배틀

이 게임에서 사용하는 캐릭터는
총 @명이며 10"의 쿄. 테리. 김
감환. 아데나를 사용하며 나머지
22명(리사. 태풍)은 오리지널 캐릭
터를 사용한다. 또한 각 캐릭터들
의 국적. 능력치를 정해서 차별화
시킨다.

*조대장

수행을 하고 있는 권법가들에게 금년에
도 킴 오브 파이터즈 경기를 개최한다.
다만! .. 이번에는 격투가 아닌 새로운
경기 방식을 사용한다. 그럼 경기장에서

After the fight of Kim of Fighters ' 96
Lugal's evil plans also disappeared.

A year has passed since then. Worldwide volume;
A letter arrived from the lawmen. That

Stage herself wants a ste
You can start after selecting Izzy.
After the first game, the next race is automatic
is selected.

Burning dash. Hammered
Lowe. Hyper jumping.
Sniper, 8 Herry
Uh. Power reflector.
Jumping cross. Las
= Battle

The character you use in this game is
Kyo. Terry. Kim. Use adena and the rest
22 people (Lisa. Typhoon) is the original Carrick
Use the whisk. Also each character
Nationality of. Set stats to differentiate
let.

This year, the lawmen who are performing the act
Kim of Fighters will also host a match.
Just! .. This time, it's not grappling, it's new
Use the match method. Then in the stadium

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
...sort of reminds me of Battle de Paradise. I would like to have played something like that. It’s also relatively straightforward to make games like this so it may have even been decent.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Oh wow - hadn't heard or seen anything about this. Interesting.

Digmac - have you seen anything about this in your vast collection of classic gaming mags?
I’ve got almost every 1996 issue of Gamest, and there’s no mention of this, so it had to have stayed in Korea.

This is really cool, though. It always surprises me that there’s still things to be discovered 25 years later.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I’ve got almost every 1996 issue of Gamest, and there’s no mention of this, so it had to have stayed in Korea.

This is really cool, though. It always surprises me that there’s still things to be discovered 25 years later.

Do you digitize your magazines? I have a few from late '95 I bought for a different project. Not entirely sure what to do with them when done. I'm familiar with the tricks of the casual sex. I can't wait to see what's going on in my life.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
My mind is still blown. Does anyone have any physical issues of the “Game Champ” magazine publication that this appears to be from? I’d love to know what issue this was from.

???
772A1406-B076-4FCC-8C35-745893A26EE6.jpeg

Update
After some searching, this appears to be a resource for some possible issue scans. I'm, going to check them out and see where this turns up.
Huge props to segaretro for hosting these scans!:

Update 2
Checked all 12 issues from 1996 and sure enough it popped up on page 148 of the following issue:
Game Champ 1996-12

GameChamp_KR_1996-12.jpg

page148-GameChamp_KR_1996-12.jpg

Last edited:

KGRAMR

Another Striker
From what I've seen people talking about it on Twitter, this is supposedly King of Athlete due to its sports nature but I could be wrong. Either way, looks really cool and it blows that it didn't come out :(

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
From what I've seen people talking about it on Twitter, this is supposedly King of Athlete due to its sports nature but I could be wrong. Either way, looks really cool and it blows that it didn't come out :(
This is not Ultimate 4 aka King of Athlete. That was being developed by Face and got a very small feature in Neo Geo Freak vol. 1. Different companies, different countries, and if you look at the article, totally different characters.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I assume this wasn’t for the Neo Geo?
Yo whats up Evan. I’m not 100% on that one.

Can someone take a crack at translating this section on the page? Perhaps this area will shed some light on the hardware question:

D4674D64-24F7-4DFA-980F-8CBCDB1427AB.jpeg

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
This is cool, I'm not usually a fan of sports games at all, but throw Terry Bogard and other Fatal Fury/KOF characters in, and it suddenly has some strange appeal! Hopefully it was like relay race/obstacle course/american gladiators kind of stuff rather than a soccer or baseball game.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, it’s way more mini game looking. That’s why I mentioned Battle De Paradise. It’s like Mario Party, basically. I would play the hell out of something like that.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
This is not Ultimate 4 aka King of Athlete. That was being developed by Face and got a very small feature in Neo Geo Freak vol. 1. Different companies, different countries, and if you look at the article, totally different characters.
Glad to be wrong. Thanks for the heads up!

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The question is, would it actually mention Neo Geo or MVS if it was? Most magazines would just say “arcade” for any game regardless of the system it’s running.

In 1996, if this was a legit project done by SNK or for them with their blessing, then the only reasonable options are Neo or Hyper 64. In 1996 SNK was WAY into the MVS and didn’t seem to care about anything else except the Hyper and every game for the Hyper is very obviously a 3D game.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The question is, would it actually mention Neo Geo or MVS if it was? Most magazines would just say “arcade” for any game regardless of the system it’s running.

In 1996, if this was a legit project done by SNK or for them with their blessing, then the only reasonable options are Neo or Hyper 64. In 1996 SNK was WAY into the MVS and didn’t seem to care about anything else except the Hyper and every game for the Hyper is very obviously a 3D game.
Hey whats up BillyJoelZeta. That was the case for most arcade titles, but a lot of Neo Geo games that were covered/previewed back in the day usually mentioned that they were being made specifically for Neo Geo hardware because it also meant that the game would be available to pick up for the home console as well:

jMCsXby_d.webp

EGM_252_November1993-vgo-02.jpg

Regarding Crash Zone, it’s looking like it was just an arcade (non-neo geo) game from Viccom that was simply going to feature some licensed SNK characters as playable characters. Still awesome to find out about it after all these years though :buttrock:

Last edited: