Could the Dreamcast have handled Metal Slug 3?

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
As others have mentioned, yes, the DC could easily handle MS3. It's just a matter of effective programming.

The OG Xbox port of MS3 was flawless. One of the best Neo ports I ever played.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
As others have mentioned, yes, the DC could easily handle MS3. It's just a matter of effective programming.

That beast had 64MB of Ram.
Almost enough to load it in one go.

The DC ( even the Saturn ) could do it if there was enough RAM and it loaded
in each stage before.

Now MSX on the PS1 is a total joke! it even loads in-game lulz :lolz:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
as others have said given how great motw was i think it could be done well the dc is an amazing system hell i thought the saturn did metal slug fairly well no?

Missile

Another Striker
I seem to remember the Dreamcast version of Fast Striker missing some animation particularly on the bosses. So it might have memory problems on some of the larger carts. A large Neo Geo cartridge ROM > Dreamcast internal memory. Metal Slug 3 is a 88 *MegaByte* game but then each level would obviously use less than this. According to the net Dreamcast has 8mb video RAM + 16Mb general ram +2 Mb Sound Ram. So it needs multi loads of some sort anyway.

If you wrote some code to stream in the graphics while the game was going on (only slows the CPU by a small precentage) it could handle any Neo Geo game. So yes :)

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Hit the breaks for a second there...great port? It's a good port, flawless? Hell no but to the untrained eye that focuses on smelling carts...then yeah it's pretty damn good.

The problem with that port is the pixel scrolling which performs well on a CRT 'cause it can't be noticed, now keep in mind this game runs in 480i only, again 480i only...that alone is a bummer...timing is good though and I like the fact that you have to re-start the stage from the beginning if you're gonna credit feed, makes it more compelling for them credit feeders.

The XBL was filtered but it's pretty much up on the same bar with the XBOX port. The PS2 port (not anthology) is really decent, right up there with the XBOX port, same problems.

Emulation still beats all the ports.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i love my dc, and agree it could handle it. the thing i cant handle about the dc is Third Strike..... so disappointed

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I believe the dreamcast could've handle it, I think the dreamcast could've been a spiritual successor to the Neo geo cd.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I believe the dreamcast could've handle it, I think the dreamcast could've been a spiritual successor to the Neo geo cd.

You know you can play the Neo Cds (cd-r) on the DC, right?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
@the noob. So are you really that good that if affects your game? I doubt it but I'm game on XBL/PSN or Fightcade just to find out what you're made of.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
You know you can play the Neo Cds (cd-r) on the DC, right?

Yeah I new that and I used to do that but not anymore, and I'll have to check out FF special and Samurai Shodown on the Sega cd if I ever get one.

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Absolutely. Each stage is smaller than 16mb a piece i'd assume so it could probably load a whole stage at a time into ram. Even if it couldnt you could stream content in and out of ram.

Thats the big flaw of the neocd is just tried to load everything instead of streaming from cd. It didnt understand the concept of cds where as systems actually designed to be cd based understood you constantly have to flush items in and out of your limited ram.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I think Metal Slug X should've been ported on the Dreamcast and would've been sweet if they ported Blazing Star aswell.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Thats the big flaw of the neocd is just tried to load everything instead of streaming from cd. It didnt understand the concept of cds where as systems actually designed to be cd based understood you constantly have to flush items in and out of your limited ram.

Yeah, that's why the Neo CD was the only CD based system that had load times. Every other system was smart enough to just stream from a CD instead. Sigh.