Best Home Verison of Pac-Man?

Which is the best home verison of Pac-Man?

• Famicom Disk/NES Namco Verison

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • NES Tengen Verison

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • GameBoy B&W

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game Boy Color

• Sega Game Gear

• MSX

• Atari 2600

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Atari 5200

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Intellivision

• Coleco Mini Arcade

• Commodore 64

• Pac-Man Collection (GBA)

• Namco Muesuem (GBA)

• Neo Geo Pocket Color

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Namco Muesuem Vol. 1

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Namco Muesuem (Xbox/PS2/Cube)

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
5200 Pac-Man. It was eye-poppingly good upon release, and the control is smooth as silk, especially if you have a stick like the Competition Pro...but it even ran good with the stock 5200 stick if you ask me.

Sure it's not arcade perfect, but I voted based on it's impact, both visual and audio way back in 1982(83?) to the home market...it's a damn fine inferior port...The 5200 is da bomb for Pac-Man games, my favorite being the near arcade perfect proto of Super Pac-Man. I bought the repro's of Super and Jr. Pac-Man from AtariAge...good stuff.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
as long as no one chooses the 2600 version...omg, even as a kid I knew that this was a sloppily thrown together cartridge...
:oh_no:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
ClassicMode1985 said:
We still can't get out of the maze...but the game remains for years...vote now..

http://www.miniarcade.com/coleco/pacman.htm that's my vote..

If I missed any, please point it out
Yeah, I used to have that one... almost made up for my parents never buying me Atari... I loved it.

I've only played it at the toy store, but that new Namco joystick thing that hooks up to the tv plays pretty good Pacman. The screen doesn't scroll, and there's no loading. I'd have to play it a little more to be sure, but it seems a good candidate for best Pacman.

And before anyone jumps on the 2600 version too hard, don't forget there were about 110 crappy versions of the game on that cartidge. Not sure if that's a pro or con.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
as long as no one chooses the 2600 version...omg, even as a kid I knew that this was a sloppily thrown together cartridge...
:oh_no:

What a POS .... thankfully I was pretty young and easy to impress when it came out.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
SouthtownKid said:
Yeah, I used to have that one... almost made up for my parents never buying me Atari... I loved it.

I've only played it at the toy store, but that new Namco joystick thing that hooks up to the tv plays pretty good Pacman. The screen doesn't scroll, and there's no loading. I'd have to play it a little more to be sure, but it seems a good candidate for best Pacman.

I -just- bought the Namco gamestick and I have to say, it's a damned good version of Pacman. It comes with Dig Dug, Galaxian, Rally X, and something else, so I'd highly recommend it if you dig the ol' school stuff.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pac-Man vs. with 4 human players is the funniest game of Pac-Man you will EVER play.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
galfordo said:
What a POS .... thankfully I was pretty young and easy to impress when it came out.

they didn't fool me...not after experiencing the 2600 goodness that was River Raid...if they could do something THAT good, it gives them no excuse for slapping some crap into a cart and calling it Pac-Man
:p

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Namco Museum collection was about the best i've played..but i also didn't go around lookn for every possible version of it either so that may be a little biased.

Bah!...poor graphics or not, the 2600 version plays a mean game of Pac-Man, and the "bomp bomp bomp" sound f/x help your zen...It's easy to make fun of 2600 PM, but the gameplay is still there. Pac-Man is one perfect game.

BJMFH

Morden's Lackey
When I was a little kid, I used to play the Apple 2C version of PacMan. It was pretty close to the original. The graphics were much better than the Atari versions back then. I had a color monitor and a little joystick too.

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
redrum666 said:
your missing the Namco Muesuem for nintendo 64 on that list :smirk:

DOH! :idiot: I knew i forgot about the Namco 64! Well not really..but thank you for pointing that out...and I forgot the DC verison

Last edited:

marsteam

, Typey McTypes-a-Lot,
the pocket pc version of pac man released by
MS in the early 2000s is great (& Official! says programmed by namco!)...
and the screen orientation is correct!
they actually gave it away on small 4MB CF cards for a while as a
Microsoft Fun Pack for Pocket PC...

Curt

apostate
The only versions I currently own is my NGPC version, Cell phone,and a old schol GBC version.. I really like my NGPC version... good fun... I like using the NGPC thumbstick...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
From the list I chose Namco Museum on PSX/PS2/etc. because the port is very accurate and the Namco Museum collections aren't really hard to find.

However, my fave Pac Man "port" is a handheld/tabletop version made by Lindy in the 80s, it has a yellow case and a small stick and the screen is some sort of LCD/LED hybrid where you can spot the Pac Man symbols and ghosts even if it's switched off.

The speed of the game constantly increases the longer you play, on highest speed it's quite tricky to steer Pac through the maze.

It was my mother's fave game for a couple of years (no joke), she even found some sort of cheap tactic that let her beat the game (it stopped at a score of 9999) on one life. Very cool.

Last edited: