AES Clear Protective Cases

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
My god people, sun fading? Are you more worried about the game or the value? Go buy gold for Christ's sake.

Sunfading is the worst. I'd rather have missing parts then sunfading. It really depends. It's not relegated to neo geo, but just about anything. I have sanwa parts with sunfading. Imagine a pink button turning a weird pinkish orange color. The color and vibrant cool look of stuff getting ruined really does suck.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
who am I to judge, I just don't get it.

And therein lies the problem. You just don't "get it", and sometimes things in life are not for everyone to "get". Collecting these games, for some of us, is actually more fun to do than to play them. I personally get my fun from both playing them, and collecting them in mint condition to preserve for my kids to enjoy and my kids kids to enjoy, so forth and so on. I want my kids to experience the same joys in life that I did as a kid, and if the games are completely fucked up, then they cannot experience what it is like to get a brand new NeoGeo cart like we did on day one when they were released. To smell that special Neo-Geo cart smell when they are brand new, to see that beautiful cart in that gorgeous huge fucking case with those awesome manuals that games no longer even have inside of them. To teach them how to handle something of worth, and to see their eyes light up when they play them for the first time as you show them how they compare to the other games of the same time and era. Collecting them in perfect condition has it's purpose, and for those that cannot "get it", I pity them. The Neo-Geo, for me at least, is something very special. It's more than just another game console, and it's more than just an arcade machine. It's an amazing piece of history that can and will never be replicated.

It is a time when Arcade machines reigned supreme, and there was but only one machine that was made to bring that experience home to play at a premium cost with all the bells and whistles that no other machine could match, and those games were outstanding, bringing full voice speech, and amazing use of colors. An incredible amount of sprites on screen, and a blazing fast 16 bit processor with two boards, each dedicated to doing different tasks at the same time. There were no loading times, and the games were talked about by everyone everywhere that played games. You could go to the Arcade and play them, save them on a memory card and take that save home and pick up where you left off. This was a time that was what I consider the greatest time in gaming history, and the only way to relive this, is through our children, giving them the same experience.

If you don't "get it", well then, do not hate on those that do. I feel we just are more enlightened than you are, and others that hate on collectors for no apparent reason. It's just not really warranted. That's my two cents anyway.

BAck on subject, does anyone here have some of these for sale that were sold by the original maker (Roger3rd), that your willing to part with? I feel his cases were the best made so far and I really love them for my AES carts.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
"Can't repeat the past?" he cried incredulously. "Why of course you can!"
He looked around him wildly, as if the past were lurking here in the shadow of his house, just out of reach of his hand.

Spoiler:
It seems you are taking this very personal and serious, so I would like to (again) make it clear that I did and do not intend to insult you. You on the other hand seem to invest a great deal of energy into trying to ridicule me (eg. calling me less enlightened (you snob)). Thanks for the attemted history lesson btw., I am very aware of the place the Neo has among video games and the role arcades played etc., it is something special for me as well and can't be replicated and so on. I apprechiate the games and the hardware - that's why I'm here. There is a difference between the way we two enjoy the Neo and it's fine...

We both can rationalize our standpoints, yours still doesn't convince me. (Which isn't to say it's not legit...)
1. It will never be the same for your offspring to acquire, unbox and play these games as it was for you: Circumstances have changed radically. There are no more arcades. The Neo Geo isn't still the king off all others. Its graphics, sound and gameplay are a thing of the past, not the current. And playing a Neo Geo at home is now possible for many more people than it used to be ... ...
2. You put a lot of pressure on your kids if you expect them to a) handle the carts absolutley carefully; b) love the Neo Geo just like you do/did; c) enable you to re-live your youth through them. Especially the last two points are impossible. I explained a little about b above, c is just unrealistic and unfair - the past has gone, it can't be replicated neither. Your children will make their own experiences and find their own interests.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I consider myself a collector but I think I must have found some middle ground between collecting and gaming.

There seems to be a big spread in what people want to do with their games when it comes to protecting them.

I want my games in good shape but I hate that "grading" games is even a thing. Grading feels like a feature made up for sellers.
I also can't believe that 'insertion marks' is also a thing! If I couldn't play the games I collect I wouldn't be collecting them.

I never use to understand why people would want to put a Neo Geo game in a clear plastic protector case. Same is true for any game that is already in a sturdy case.

But recently I received some clear plastic cases that came with some Genesis games I bought. I didn't want to throw them out so I decided to put them on a few of my Genesis games that had cardboard cases. And now I really like them:

https://thesegacollection.wordpress.com/2015/04/11/sega-genesis-box-protectors-and-snes-bitboxes/

So even though I still don't want them for hard clamshell cases I do get why someone else might.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
This seems just as stupid as it did 3 years ago.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
o.0 For the amount of money you put into these things? Why not just make a UV protected glass display case?

- Get "coverproject" cases for the games you play.
- Put all the delicate materials of the game in said display case.
- Get some museum archival boxes for stuff not in said display case.

TBH I managed to cultivate a top-notch enterprise level archival solution for the GameBoy games I've kept CIB since I was a teenager: I took the game out of the box when I bought it, then put said box in a shoebox and shoved it under my bed!

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Bumping this thread to life. About to purchase some of these myself. Anyone bought from "retrogamefreak" on ebay and if yes how happy are you with your protective cases? Is it a tight fit? Does the case move around in the protective case or not? Any alternatives?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snug-Fit-...-Protection-/331204201362?hash=item4d1d4f0b92

I have some, there a bit thin and flimsy when compared to what Sentinal64 offer (They don't do NGHC though) but do the job.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
o.0 For the amount of money you put into these things? Why not just make a UV protected glass display case?

- Get "coverproject" cases for the games you play.
- Put all the delicate materials of the game in said display case.
- Get some museum archival boxes for stuff not in said display case.

TBH I managed to cultivate a top-notch enterprise level archival solution for the GameBoy games I've kept CIB since I was a teenager: I took the game out of the box when I bought it, then put said box in a shoebox and shoved it under my bed!

Live in London mate, space is a premium here. Have to frequently get rid of stuff due to space I'm afraid.

Buy MVS carts.

Bulk of my games are MVS. The 20-30 AES carts I got though I would like to keep them well protected from dust mostly but also these are a good thing when you pack up your stuff for a house move.

I have some, there a bit thin and flimsy when compared to what Sentinal64 offer (They don't do NGHC though) but do the job.

Sentinal64's cases are however not in production right now right?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The 20-30 AES carts I got though I would like to keep them well protected from dust mostly but also these are a good thing when you pack up your stuff for a house move.

Just don't use them on snap-locks, you'll likely damage your inserts and cover their transparent plastic holder with flaws, due to the too tight fitting of those clear cases. It ain't worth it.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Sentinal64's cases are however not in production right now right?

Yes they are but the Web Site is down and getting relaunched in January.

For Sentinel64 cases you contact them through Facebook.

However like I mentioned, they don't make cases for Neo Geo Home Cart - I only mentioned Sentinel64 as a benchmark for the quality of plastics in comparison to the one you linked.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Just don't use them on snap-locks, you'll likely damage your inserts and cover their transparent plastic holder with flaws, due to the too tight fitting of those clear cases. It ain't worth it.

I have all my AES games in these cases and have for years. They work perfectly fine and cause no issues at all.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yep, it's so good to do the sissy for a change... brigs out the method actor in me -- Strasberg was a genius ;).

pipes

Hopefully the clear protective cases don't become rare collector's items in their own right one day. It's a never ending battle.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What if the clear plastic protector case gets scuffed and it's no longer clear? Seems like you'd want a protective bag around the protective case protecting the AES case that protects the game that will never be played.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Well, I bought 200 of the plastic snug-fit cases, and I would like the say that they are better than expected. I personally still like the original cases made by the guy that started it all that was giving away the free trail cases, his were of a stronger plastic, but, the snug fit cases still look very nice, have less wiggle room inside them, (hence the name "snug-fit"), and even though they are quite bendable and flimsy, they still seem to protect the games from being mishandled, even the snaplock cases can be picked up from the top and it does not seem to damage the inserts.

I am very pleased with the cases, and I just wish I could find someone that has a few for sale for the MVS kits, as I do have a very few NOS kits that need to be kept in something nice so they don't get ruined. I did manage to find ONE MVS Kit plastic protection case, and I use it on my NOS Samurai Spirits Zero Special MVS Kit, but, I would like to find at least 20 more. Is there anyone out there that knows where some are for sale? Please let me know.

pipes

Well, I bought 200 of the plastic snug-fit cases, and I would like the say that they are better than expected. I personally still like the original cases made by the guy that started it all that was giving away the free trail cases, his were of a stronger plastic, but, the snug fit cases still look very nice, have less wiggle room inside them, (hence the name "snug-fit"), and even though they are quite bendable and flimsy, they still seem to protect the games from being mishandled, even the snaplock cases can be picked up from the top and it does not seem to damage the inserts.

I am very pleased with the cases, and I just wish I could find someone that has a few for sale for the MVS kits, as I do have a very few NOS kits that need to be kept in something nice so they don't get ruined. I did manage to find ONE MVS Kit plastic protection case, and I use it on my NOS Samurai Spirits Zero Special MVS Kit, but, I would like to find at least 20 more. Is there anyone out there that knows where some are for sale? Please let me know.

You had me until the MVS kits and now I just can't tell if you're being serious anymore.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
What if the clear plastic protector case gets scuffed and it's no longer clear? Seems like you'd want a protective bag around the protective case protecting the AES case that protects the game that will never be played.

I don't really care to be honest if the plastic snug-fit cases get destroyed or not. And I don't really mind insertion marks on my AES carts. What I do hate though is ripped/destroyed inserts.

Since I move around a lot these will be mostly put to use when I put the games in boxes and one game will sit on top of the other.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member

This is easily solved by never removing the games from the shelf.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This is easily solved by never removing the games from the shelf.

SNK really screwed up with AES sales, they should've just sent the buyer a photo of the game and a certificate saying they own it. That way the games would've never had to leave the factory, ensuring they're in M+ condition forever. Then if you needed the money, you just sell the photo and certificate to a new buyer, thereby saving the game from being touched or shipped.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
SNK really screwed up with AES sales, they should've just sent the buyer a photo of the game and a certificate saying they own it. That way the games would've never had to leave the factory, ensuring they're in M+ condition forever. Then if you needed the money, you just sell the photo and certificate to a new buyer, thereby saving the game from being touched or shipped.

Sounds like stock trading
I like it!!!!