Have you met Americans who admit they're poor?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Auburn Hills is middle class and it borders Pontiac (which is poor to lower middle class) and Bloomfield Hills (upper middle class to F'n rich). Bloomfield Hills also borders Pontiac. A city block determines whether property is 30 thousand (or less) or starting around 300 thousand.

So you have people of all classes being friends. No one said they were poor or rich.

Cars told you a lot without saying a word. I was with my buddy when we got his dad's two seater Mercedes up to 160 and almost crashed it in a turn. I was driving an old Duster at the time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My family has property in Bloomfield Hills on a private lake that's been in the family since before the depression. The neighboring houses are all owned by super wealthy middle easterners and Russians. It's fucking crazy knocking down really nice midcentury modern houses and replacing them with palatial monstrosities. More money than sense and man do they need to let people know.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Auburn Hills is middle class and it borders Pontiac (which is poor to lower middle class) and Bloomfield Hills (upper middle class to F'n rich). Bloomfield Hills also borders Pontiac. A city block determines whether property is 30 thousand (or less) or starting around 300 thousand.

So you have people of all classes being friends. No one said they were poor or rich.

Cars told you a lot without saying a word. I was with my buddy when we got his dad's two seater Mercedes up to 160 and almost crashed it in a turn. I was driving an old Duster at the time.

I used to live in Royal Oak (rich or upper middle class) until a very recent move to Oak Park I think where I live now used to be considered "poor" but with the housing prices the neighborhood is getting an influx of Ferndale gentrifiers.

America is going to enter a strange time where we won't own property anymore. Renter's only market. Europe says hello.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'm more interested in owning people rather than property

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Cars doesn't say crap about wealth. Most of the millionaires I know drive 10+ year old Honda/Toyotas. Most new luxury cars (Mercedes, BMWs) are leased, since credit is cheap. I find people who make low/mid 6 figures are generally very bad at managing their finance and if you look at their net worth, they are actually negative since they borrow so much money to keep up with the Jones.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Cars doesn't say crap about wealth. Most of the millionaires I know drive 10+ year old Honda/Toyotas. Most new luxury cars (Mercedes, BMWs) are leased, since credit is cheap. I find people who make low/mid 6 figures are generally very bad at managing their finance and if you look at their net worth, they are actually negative since they borrow so much money to keep up with the Jones.
I was talking kids there. That whole post was about kids. Reading is fundamental.

I know a few eccentric people myself but the overwhelming majority are not.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The popular fake rich cars around here are Hellcats and Escalades. So in Michigan, your car tells a lot about your financial situation. Maybe not in your area but here definitely. Roker should jump in and talk about what he's observed since we're both in Metro Detroit.

Not sure where you live but daily drivers rust out in 15 years. At 10 years they're rusting visibly. So the average car owner drives newer cars than the rest of the US.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Pretty sure people making 250k and up are trying to keep up with the Hiltons, not the Jones

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The popular fake rich cars around here are Hellcats and Escalades. So in Michigan, your car tells a lot about your financial situation. Maybe not in your area but here definitely. Roker should jump in and talk about what he's observed since we're both in Metro Detroit.

Not sure where you live but daily drivers rust out in 15 years. At 10 years they're rusting visibly. So the average car owner drives newer cars than the rest of the US.

I have 3 cars older than 15 years old, none are rested out (in NY/NJ area). 2 I bought used within the past 2 years (the other one was bought new, but hey I took care of my things). This is a myth perpetuated by new car makers pushing the latest technology to keep people in their indebtedness. Especially if you don't live in the snow region.

• Haha
Reactions: Syn

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Too funny!

That's nice for you! I'll tell the people in rusty cars it's a myth, I'm sure they'll appreciate it, lol.

You don't know squat about Michigan but continue in your bliss.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The roads alone in MI will destroy a car regardless of weather.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have 3 cars older than 15 years old, none are rested out (in NY/NJ area). 2 I bought used within the past 2 years (the other one was bought new, but hey I took care of my things). This is a myth perpetuated by new car makers pushing the latest technology to keep people in their indebtedness. Especially if you don't live in the snow region.
so you’re a millionaire?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Blade's thinking everyone can afford a lease not realizing people in Pontiac can't afford to, they take care of their vehicles but the city and county use so much salt that there's nothing you can do, daily's get destroyed.

Edit Pontiac is better off than Detroit too.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
They still got that fucked up water in Flint?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Too funny!

That's nice for you! I'll tell the people in rusty cars it's a myth, I'm sure they'll appreciate it, lol.

You don't know squat about Michigan but continue in your bliss.

I take your word that MI is a rust bucket, but last I check USA is more than just MI.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I take your word that MI is a rust bucket, but last I check USA is more than just MI.
Michigan and the cities around me were mentioned.

Don't make excuses, READ what is typed. That comment is a bitch move man.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
New Cars (bought or leased) are great deals for people with lower incomes and good credit that have to drive to school work and put on 10,000-20,000 miles a year on a car.
I have never had a used vehicle be cheaper on a cost-of-ownership basis than my leases.

House-Poor McMansion owners often drive used cars because thier parents gave them it and they can't afford anything else. Or they bought it new, paid it off and can't buy a new car because they have so much into thier house.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
New Cars (bought or leased) are great deals for people with lower incomes and good credit that have to drive to school work and put on 10,000-20,000 miles a year on a car.
I have never had a used vehicle be cheaper on a cost-of-ownership basis than my leases。
From what I understand, the used car market has gone full retard in America within the past month. Please post more of your thoughts on why this is happening in my used car thread in the War Room.