Ecig and Vaping Drama

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
My cousins out in Cali tried to get me into vaping. I’m a chain smoker pack to 2 packs a day. They tried to get me with the mods measure out nicotine per juice. Mind you I just went with standard flavor, tasted like vanilla, but the nicotine just burned my throat. Is there any articles that point toward specific habits that are deadly? Is it just standard ecigs you can get at a gas station? Is it the dragon cloud vape mods or the thc chemicals? I remember an article of people getting popcorn lung because they were using the same chemicals as microwave popcorn in their flavoring, but that’s over 5 years old.

Edit. Didn’t see article person posted earlier. I don’t know if vaping in general should be outlawed in general, but more research and regulation should be implemented. Sad part, that tragedy like this needs to happen before change happens.

I dont think anyone got popcorn lung, they just noted that the same chemical that was giving 20yr+ popcorn factory workers lung disease was also being used as a flavoring for e-liquid.

The vaping community was aware of it well before it had blew up in the media and most manufacturers had already stopped using it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The quick escalation of this as a public health crisis played out in the news set off alarm bells in my skeptic brain. "Ok, so people have been vaping for years now with no reports of injury except for exploding batteries, but some kid who just started 3 months ago has the lungs of a 40 year pack-a-day smoker? Sure."

However, that actually does make me more likely to believe that it is a batch of tainted ingredients. I'll have to read up your links though.

I don't touch the shit anyway, no horse in the race on that end.

A major problem is that this came during a time of Obama and his "the system is strong enough to withstand whatever goes against it" and Trump's "pay me and I'll let you fuck my ass and the ass of any American." Two mistaken ideologies that allowed for this to snowball.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
The biggest issue is tainted THC carts. You can find people on Instagram selling Cart toons, Mario Carts, and Cartnites that are all homemade oil carts. The thinning agent that people use turns into vitamin E when you vaporize it and the vitamin E has some deadly results. The other issue is nicotine salts. Nicotine salts are way stronger than your average e-juice, usually 25-55-mg vs the 3-6mg of e-juice. That and the fact that salts are left over when you vaporize a salt+liquid solution is whats putting people in the hospital with 40 year old smokers lungs. The nicotine salts deposit all over your lungs and kill them.
All in all, THC carts are what's killing people, Salt Nic deviecs (JUUL) are hospitalizing kids and now everything vape related is on it's way out. But the cigarettes are fine, not like those ever hurt anybody!
Edit: Aftermath of salt nic
EBLEm7zWwAAdWhU.jpg

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That I can see, this is just ticking time-bomb exploding.

The tobacco industry, with it's massive amounts of cash and massive political influence, has been trying to get vaping banned (or at least heavily regulated) for years now. Now that some extremely isolated events have happened with some sub par products, WHAM!!! Mass public panic on all channels....and what card do they play? "Think of the children"...sure.(Hmm...I cannot place it, but I seem to recall this tactic being used elsewhere...)

Am I being a bit of a conspiracy theorist thinking tobacco is helping push this along? Possibly...but its how I feel. It's also an attempt to drag in the FDA and possibly the ATF, which will help all states tax the shit out of vaping products like they already do tobacco products (BTW, Illinois in all our progressive glory has already started this as of this year).

Either way, I know plenty of people who vape and not one of them has fallen ill. Do I think its dumb? Sure...but its none of my business what they do with their bodies.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
The tobacco industry, with it's massive amounts of cash and massive political influence, has been trying to get vaping banned (or at least heavily regulated) for years now. Now that some extremely isolated events have happened with some sub par products, WHAM!!! Mass public panic on all channels....and what card do they play? "Think of the children"...sure.(Hmm...I cannot place it, but I seem to recall this tactic being used elsewhere...)

"Altria, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, recently invested almost $13 billion in e-cigarette company Juul."

Sorry dude, but big tobacco has been buying vaping companies up for years and using the tobacco playbook on them. They wanna ban themselves?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
"Altria, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, recently invested almost $13 billion in e-cigarette company Juul."

Sorry dude, but big tobacco has been buying vaping companies up for years and using the tobacco playbook on them. They wanna ban themselves?

Recently....as in if you can't beat them, join them...or buy them.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The current anti-vaping hysteria seems overblown. Surely there are far more people dying as a percentage of total users from regular smoking, drinking, eating too much Taco Bell... so why are they not banned? It should go without saying that there is significant risk involved in inhaling black market chemical concoctions. I'm sure there's an element of risk from vaping but let's maybe consider getting the facts before implementing draconian bans based on fear and anecdotal evidence.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The current anti-vaping hysteria seems overblown. Surely there are far more people dying as a percentage of total users from regular smoking, drinking, eating too much Taco Bell... so why are they not banned? It should go without saying that there is significant risk involved in inhaling black market chemical concoctions. I'm sure there's an element of risk from vaping but let's maybe consider getting the facts before implementing draconian bans based on fear and anecdotal evidence.

This is the America we currently live in, one of never ending knee jerk "epidemics" or "Crises" causing unnecessary panics and cries for immediate government intervention.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The major problem is that it's seen a harmless compared to actual smoking but kids not old enough to buy the legit juices are getting from the black market getting hooked because of the extremely high nicotine content. Plus the THC market is crazy and outside of a handful of reputable manufacturers is made cheap and with garbage ingredients. A teenager doesn't know any better and if all of their friends are doing it...

Apparently my nephew was buying from some guy at his after school job who was selling to all the kids in the area.

I realize that it's getting blown out of proportion but it's an actual problem. I've know multiple people that vaped and did quit smoking and once the nicotine level went down to zero they quit vaping and had not interest in that or going back to smoking. But those were adults that knew what they were buying and doing it for a specific reason. Not dumbass kids doing it because it's cool or getting high.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
The major problem is that it's seen a harmless compared to actual smoking but kids not old enough to buy the legit juices are getting from the black market getting hooked because of the extremely high nicotine content. Plus the THC market is crazy and outside of a handful of reputable manufacturers is made cheap and with garbage ingredients. A teenager doesn't know any better and if all of their friends are doing it...

Apparently my nephew was buying from some guy at his after school job who was selling to all the kids in the area.

I realize that it's getting blown out of proportion but it's an actual problem. I've know multiple people that vaped and did quit smoking and once the nicotine level went down to zero they quit vaping and had not interest in that or going back to smoking. But those were adults that knew what they were buying and doing it for a specific reason. Not dumbass kids doing it because it's cool or getting high.

This right here. Literally the heart of the matter.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Whataboutism

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I should have known that my "Microwave Popcorn" flavored vape was a health hazard.

I'm going to switch to a more natural flavor like "Freshly Milled Cotton" or "Appalachian Coal Dust".

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Sure...but how do you propose curbing this? Black market gonna black market.

Slapping heavy regulations on legit companies isn't the answer, creating mass public hysteria isn't the answer either. Hell, making this a law enforcement issue definitely isn't the answer...how's that approach currently working for other illegal drugs?

I guess my point is that this is a dangerous and shitty world. As a parent we need to do everything in our power to help guide our children,knowing that some will slip through the cracks and there's just nothing that can be done about it. Public scares and legal intervention won't solve a thing.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wait till they figure out how to make a fentanyl vape pen.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wait till they figure out how to make a fentanyl vape pen.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't this all start with medical grade nebulizers? I'm surprised the black market isn't offering all kinds of drugs that you can dump into a vape machine...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I should have known that my "Microwave Popcorn" flavored vape was a health hazard.

I'm going to switch to a more natural flavor like "Freshly Milled Cotton" or "Appalachian Coal Dust".

Fun fact, fake butter flavor is diacetyl, a compound produced naturally during beer fermentation.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lithy you never acknowledged me finding your old post from 5 years ago that predicted what would happen, like some kind of lithodramus.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I doubt the government will try to regulate vaping as much as they did cigarette's.
It will probably just go to stronger label and QC requirements.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sure...but how do you propose curbing this? Black market gonna black market.

Slapping heavy regulations on legit companies isn't the answer, creating mass public hysteria isn't the answer either. Hell, making this a law enforcement issue definitely isn't the answer...how's that approach currently working for other illegal drugs?

I guess my point is that this is a dangerous and shitty world. As a parent we need to do everything in our power to help guide our children,knowing that some will slip through the cracks and there's just nothing that can be done about it. Public scares and legal intervention won't solve a thing.

Dude I don't claim to the the answer but we're gonna being seeing a shit ton of 20 something walking around with oxygen tanks. Everyone is much more stupid and greedy than they believe. There is always justification ignorance, which usually money and pretending where that money comes from isn't their actual problem.