PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I am guessing you are using one of the "crazy" cables I have - where the plastic of the miniture DIN connector is really bulky,meaning you cannot push it all the way into the socket on the SSDS3 properly. Could we see a photo of your cable connector? Looks like you are missing a colour or two. The banding there seems to suggest that maybe the ground is not making a good connection either, or perhaps the cable isn't shielded properly.

Gadget you missed some informations in the thread ! :keke: : his issue was about two pins were bent and not transmitting some colors to the SSD3 ;)..

Yeah I had bent 2 pins on the back of my TG-16 when I installed it lol, it's all fixed now.

We played with my Turbografx-16 and the Super SD System 3 yesterday live on Twitch for about 4 hours and for the most part it worked great! I made sure to mention the device so people knew what we were using, absolutely love it. The only issue we had was when playing the Sherlock Holmes CD game, the only game we played that had video in it. The audio was out of sync with the video, sometimes speech audio was garbled and sometimes the video playback of Sherlock Holmes was glitchy. It could be an issue with my cd image though since I never tried it before. But regardless it's a must have device, I recommend it to everyone that was watching!

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
You need to open up the controller, clean the conductive rubber pads with rubbing alcohol, and clean the contacts on the PCB with a white eraser. This is normal maintenance for old game controllers.

thamks. I'm cleaning with a white eraser the contact of START button on pcb. The eraser is becoming "black". It means that i have to continue to clean until the dark disappears from the eraser?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Yeah I had bent 2 pins on the back of my TG-16 when I installed it lol, it's all fixed now.

We played with my Turbografx-16 and the Super SD System 3 yesterday live on Twitch for about 4 hours and for the most part it worked great! I made sure to mention the device so people knew what we were using, absolutely love it. The only issue we had was when playing the Sherlock Holmes CD game, the only game we played that had video in it. The audio was out of sync with the video, sometimes speech audio was garbled and sometimes the video playback of Sherlock Holmes was glitchy. It could be an issue with my cd image though since I never tried it before. But regardless it's a must have device, I recommend it to everyone that was watching!

Its a kown issue,

The 2 sherlock holmes games and Guliver game need fine cd reading tuning, its on our todo list.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
thamks. I'm cleaning with a white eraser the contact of START button on pcb. The eraser is becoming "black". It means that i have to continue to clean until the dark disappears from the eraser?

No, I wouldn't go too crazy. Make sure you also clean the rubber pad. Use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

Its a kown issue,

The 2 sherlock holmes games and Guliver game need fine cd reading tuning, its on our todo list.

Ok cool, not a big deal as the device otherwise worked flawlessly. Any plans to make something similar for the Sega Genesis? :)

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
No, I wouldn't go too crazy. Make sure you also clean the rubber pad. Use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

ok, I cleaned everything. At the beginning the issue related to the START button was still there...after some test, suddenly, it started to work! Then i tried 3 or 4 time to turn off the console and unplug the joypad and restart the console and it seem now that the issue is disappeared...the button works perfectly. Tomorrow I will try again in order to check if the issue will appear again...I hope no..

thank you

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Absolutely loving my SSDS3!
RGB looks great, I'm getting no visual noise on the video, but I am having audio problems.
Here's some shots from a Coregrafx II, PACKAPUNCH cable, OSSC to a Benq Zowie.

4NX8OND.jpg

YGcabRE.jpg

My audio issues seem to be different than what people have posted so far. For me, the audio works great at the start of playing, nice and clear in both speakers with only a little bit of noise which is expected out of an analog audio circuit (my SNES jr. gives me way more audio noise than this).
BUT after about 5 minutes of playing, the left speaker's audio starts to degrade, gets "scratchy", then eventually cuts out entirely giving me only mono sound out of the right speaker.
I haven't tried to debug it yet, other than checking the connections of my PACKAPUNCH (don't know why I'm yelling this) cable, or testing another device going through my OSSC. My PACKAPUNCH cable is new, as of the March batch of this year, but I should probably see if I was sent a faulty one. Could this be a sign of my Coregrafx's audio circuit failing? Has anyone else had this particular issue as well? Seems like there is a faulty component somewhere in the chain, but I'm not sure where to start looking other than the cable it's hooked up to.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Sounds to me like your CoreGrafx needs a recap - especially since the behavior changes over time. Does the audio channel get scratchy and cut out when playing an original HuCard?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Sounds to me like your CoreGrafx needs a recap - especially since the behavior changes over time. Does the audio channel get scratchy and cut out when playing an original HuCard?

Yeah it happens to any game, HuCard or CD after 5 minutes. I'll verify this still happens using the stock composite cable, coming straight out of the Coregrafx rather than the SSDS3. If it still persists, I'll go ahead with a cap kit...this console probably needs one anyway.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Its a kown issue,

Keep in mind that the audio in both Sherlock games fall out of sync when played on good working CD-ROM systems. It Came From the Desert and Gulliver Boy normally do stay in sync though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

This might be my issue as well. I notice that sometimes I could hear a tad bit of scratchy audio when I'm playing. It's not a big deal but I know It wasn't there when I was playing games on my Duo that was fully recapped.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Screenshot_20180403-001137_Drive.jpg

This is the dev board for the THS7374 taken from the TI datasheet. Check clearly shows positive voltage side toward the amp on the output.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't think he did. That caps polarity is backwards. It's on the output side of the amp which means the voltage should go in the positive side.

No. That’s not what I meant. Yes, it’s installed backwards.

I mean it’s not for composite video, but for composite sync.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug

Ah yes. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah it's definitely the composite sync on Ch4.

I do wonder if flipping it will correct the scrolling lines some people have seen on the rev2.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ah yes. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah it's definitely the composite sync on Ch4.

I do wonder if flipping it will correct the scrolling lines some people have seen on the rev2.

Just ordered an SSDS3. Will wait for revision 3.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It took my 4th scart cable but I now have no buzzing. Using an OSSC on a 50" Vizio.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the eBay seller as it was a year ago.

comp1demon

n00b
It took my 4th scart cable but I now have no buzzing. Using an OSSC on a 50" Vizio.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the eBay seller as it was a year ago.

You can look up every sale by Year going back 3 years on ebay now using purchase History..

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member

Does this affect all the new shipped revisions or are there only a limited few where its installed backwards?

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Does this affect all the new shipped revisions or are there only a limited few where its installed backwards?

We used the reference design from Texas Instruments (manufacturer of the rbg chip) :

AC-coupled-video.png

It looks like its wrong,

Voultar is right on both things (the capacitor being reversed, Texas Instruments being wrong) and this not being a big deal cause Cvideo thing is something almost no one uses, it's a simple fix and we will swich the position on the next batch, just in case someone uses it.

Last edited: