Uber tipping - yay or fuck nay?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Where does the % tip come from. $10 should be the maximum for a tip.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't really use Uber. I have a car.

I could see using it when you're too fucked up to drive home or travelling, though.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't really use Uber. I have a car.

I could see using it when you're too fucked up to drive home or travelling, though.

It is common in large cities to own a car and still use Uber. You live in the boonies so you can't relate.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The only time I generally use Uber is when my wife and her friends are shit-hammered and need a ride home so I always tip those guys for getting them home safely and dealing with a bunch of drunk, screaming harpies.

In general, I tip 20-25% at restaurants and bars. Restaurants because I worked in the service industry and know what a shit job that is and bars so I get fast, generous service (if I'm going to be there a while, I'll usually give the bartender a 10 or a 20 the first go-around to make sure he/she remembers me the next time). The tipping culture does indeed promote abuse of workers and shaming of customers but it's not going to go away until a government entity steps in and prevents companies from being able to underpay their employees so I will continue to make sure that those employees get their weed money until then. Nothing makes a server/bartender's day like dealing with someone who is friendly, easy to deal with and tips them well.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
(Watch it, it's a 4min clip)

I've never seen an anti-tipping post which acknowledges the fact that by tipping the server directly, the server avoids double taxation. If the establishment has to raise prices to compensate for no tipping, then they must add extra for the amount they are taxed on that addition before the server gets their money - who are then taxed again. You aren't paying the same amount. You're paying even more just so the server breaks even. (this doesn't even assume a server lies about their cash tip intake to begin with).

On the video's point of tipping being a prohibition spawned concept, perhaps that's true for bars specifically - but there may be much more to it than that. The "Free Lunch" was a common enough practice to have free food as long as you paid for drinks. Free lunches were said to have, ". . . fed more hungry people in Chicago than all the other agencies, religious, charitable, and municipal, put together." Imagine what taking drinks out of the equation did for people in that situation. I speculate it wasn't about greedy restaurant owners "just to pay their servers less" like they're a bunch of evil Disney villains - even though, today, I've known a few restaurant owners worthy of that title.

Edit: And perhaps good service doesn't affect tips - but where I've worked for tips, it did affect which tables you got, how many shifts you got, etc. Remember, those restaurant owners are evil and want to drive you away from their business with bad employees.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
I work for tips, and make a decent living.

As such I tip the coffee shop lady, the gas station clerk, the guy that goes above and beyond and gives me free materials at the ups store, etc.

This miserly thread is lame.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I also tip the hotel housekeeper every single day. The only exception is when I rent a place on the beach and I get the same person every day. Then I tip at the end of my stay.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

I agree....

My nature is to be as good to people as I can... After working through University as a Waiter in a Restuarant... I empathise with people who work hard just to get by...

Why not give them a bit extra...

xROTx

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Some of you guys are friggin' heartless basterrds! :D

I work for tips, and make a decent living.

As such I tip the coffee shop lady, the gas station clerk, the guy that goes above and beyond and gives me free materials at the ups store, etc.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at how hard a line some of y'all draw against tipping.

That said, I would wholeheartedly be in favor of a moving toward a tip-free system like those used in various countries in Europe. Pay higher prices but take out the guesswork and subjectivity. When I went to Germany and tipped the hotel restaurant staff the 20% I was accustomed to, they were real happy to see me come back the next night and to stay on top of my cocktails.

I had no idea that Germany is a no-tip country until later.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Merkel says tipping is bad... if you're desperate to pay for her services in the local Brothel... you need all the cash you can get for booze afterwards...

german-chancellor-angela-merkel-warns-citizens-pergida-to-accept-muslims-islam.jpg

xROTx

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I doubt there are many that would want to give that woman the tip, monetary or otherwise.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It is common in large cities to own a car and still use Uber. You live in the boonies so you can't relate.

About 3.5 million people in the metro area.

Chicago we ain't, but Denver isn't a cow town anymore.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That said, I would wholeheartedly be in favor of a moving toward a tip-free system like those used in various countries in Europe. Pay higher prices but take out the guesswork and subjectivity. When I went to Germany and tipped the hotel restaurant staff the 20% I was accustomed to, they were real happy to see me come back the next night and to stay on top of my cocktails.

So they treated you like the high school slut? all smiles and drinks while you give them the goodies and let them fuck you. Our kind German friends.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
About 3.5 million people in the metro area.

Chicago we ain't, but Denver isn't a cow town anymore.

But you're not actually IN Denver. It'd be like taking an Uber in the suburbs here. No point. In the city there's a lot more to contend with. People may park on the street, so they've got to deal with possibly having to find a new spot when they get back. Parking downtown can be astronomical, be it street or garage. If someone is going to multiple destinations that's 2-3 different garages with a minimum, plus spending the time to park assuming that person is on a tight schedule. If there's an attendant that parks for you vs self-park you gotta give them a few bucks (unless you're Razo or a black). A lot to it. In a suburb you pull out of your garage (or parents' garage), drive to a place with a free parking lot and park. Done and done.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
But you're not actually IN Denver. It'd be like taking an Uber in the suburbs here. No point. In the city there's a lot more to contend with. People may park on the street, so they've got to deal with possibly having to find a new spot when they get back. Parking downtown can be astronomical, be it street or garage. If someone is going to multiple destinations that's 2-3 different garages with a minimum, plus spending the time to park assuming that person is on a tight schedule. If there's an attendant that parks for you vs self-park you gotta give them a few bucks (unless you're Razo or a black). A lot to it. In a suburb you pull out of your garage (or parents' garage), drive to a place with a free parking lot and park. Done and done.

yeah. also parking is like literally the worst part about having a car in a city. it sucks.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I do not tip uber.

I tip 20% at restaurants.

I tip at strip clubs however I see fit.

Fuck.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
A black guy that doesn't tip. Now I've heard just about everything!

If it's something like a pizza place or just a regular fast food/carryout place then yeah I won't tip. If it's a place that is mostly dine-in, but does carry-out then I'll tip. It takes a server's time to check your order, include napkins, bag it up, ask if you need any sauces on the side, etc. Most expect nothing but are grateful even if it's 10%.

Lol yeah this is what I meant. Like if I go to Ihop or Waffle house I'll tip. But my logic on picking up pizza hut/papa johns/dominoes/ ect is that I'm tipping the driver for delivery. As far as restaurants go, I use 20% as a base, usually more if the service is on point.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Tips should be based on how someone performs... If they do well I have no problem tipping well, if they perform like shit... Guess what? They are getting tipped like shit. This goes for any line of work.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

This. Exactly this. It's why six days of the week my car is sitting on the street. Work downtown, can't park. Go out on a weeknight past 9 pm, can't park. Uber it is

I don't love the new uber tipping because I know it's just a way for Uber to bend their drivers over a barrel on wages.

Restaurants = always 20%...and don't anyone dare discount the booze. You gotta tip on the whole bill, not just the stuff you chew

Coffee = a buck

Bar = a buck for a beer, two bucks if I order something complex (I never order something complex)

Bellboy = couple bucks a bag, bit more if I packed bricks or something

Valet = couple bucks max

but restaurant, unless someone fucks up royally, 20%. It's the cost of going out. If servers were paid a decent wage, the $18 meal would cost $28....whether it's tip or increased price, it's gonna cost you the same