Metal Slug 2 vs Metal Slug X

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Not if it's with 2 players - things just don't flow.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I played through the entirety of the game on Saturday with a friend, and I have to say... slowdown be damned, I really like it. I don't know if I like it better than any other Metal Slug, but the level progression is really fun. I may also like the original "colors" of the stages as opposed to their palette swap versions in X. After a while, your brain sort of adjusts to the slowdown, honestly.

I guess I don't know which is better! They're both really fun games.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
For those with a good "ear" , it's impossible sound wise to say Metal Slug 2 is better than X.

A good example is the "Kiss in the dark" theme from both games. The audio sampling is simply better on X.
I'll not bring that one from MS3 ( because it destroys them both ) , but that 's the best way to compare them sound wise.

Graphically, I prefer the color palette of MS2 on the first stage and that's about it. Everything else in X > 2.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm a fence sitter with this one, I like them both equally. But X is certainly better with two players.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
More soldiers on screen at the same time on 2 and more blood splatter out of them. Shotgun animation better and with more duration on 2. Mummies leave their mouth open for some time after get shot and more bones on the floor. On X firing with shotgun just vanish enemies from screen. You can compare the 2 videos
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slu X

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Have not played X much, but if you have a debugbios X has a lot hidden stuff that didnt made it into the game.
I was really wondering why they left so much stuff out.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Most of the unused content in Metal Slug X is actually beta levels from Metal Slug 3 and the entirety of Metal Slug 1's levels. I think there are one or two truly unused levels residing in X, but that's about it.

http://tcrf.net/Metal_Slug_X

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
woha, thanks for the link! Need to check out that unused content... huge.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'd pick MS2 over MSX only if the slowdown were removed. The changes made to X were mostly for the worse, but the game runs a lot better on the native hardware. All in all the games are similar enough that if you have one, you don't need the other unless you're a hardcore collector.

Last edited:

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
AES: MS2>MSX
PS3: MS2>>MSX

Even with slowdown it's better then X. Without any slowdown with 2 player its amazing on PS3 port.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I've always enjoyed both, and the slowdown in MS2 doesn't bother me at all. However, X is the better game for me, as it really is 2 with more. There are more weapons, hidden items (for points), better music arrangement, and their are more animations. I love X and have spent far too many hours on it in the past, and for me it is the best Slug in the series.

So, yeah, X is better than 2... and slowdown doesn't come into it for me at all!

X>1><2>3>5>>>>>>>>4

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I put most hours into 2 back then, but I prefer X nowadays. The color palette in X iz teh sex + moar variety of weapons.

Yup.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I've always enjoyed both, and the slowdown in MS2 doesn't bother me at all. However, X is the better game for me, as it really is 2 with more. There are more weapons, hidden items (for points), better music arrangement, and their are more animations. I love X and have spent far too many hours on it in the past, and for me it is the best Slug in the series.

So, yeah, X is better than 2... and slowdown doesn't come into it for me at all!

X>1><2>3>5>>>>>>>>4

3>1>2>X>4>etc.

yoyo

n00b
I really prefer 2 over X, it's just.. Better in my opinion, was more fun to get into.

Teknoman

n00b
I like 2 more than X since it seemed like the alien reveal was better done. Then again, if you're playing X, most probably assume you've played 2 already, so it might not be as big of a deal.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I like 2 more than X since it seemed like the alien reveal was better done. Then again, if you're playing X, most probably assume you've played 2 already, so it might not be as big of a deal.

And then there's people who first got into Metal Slug with the PS1 port of MSX.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
People that think X is better are know-nothing mouth breathers.

1>2>5>4>3>X

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
I have very fond memories of playing MS2. Something about MSX seemed off to me. Slow down and all my vote is for MS2. Wish I had a copy of X to compare the two personally.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I haven't put enough time into both titles to decide on one over the other, but I have to ask a question before I forget. Did anyone else ever notice that the number on the door that goes over the character on the selection screen was never changed from "2" to "X" for Metal Slug X?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I haven't put enough time into both titles to decide on one over the other, but I have to ask a question before I forget. Did anyone else ever notice that the number on the door that goes over the character on the selection screen was never changed from "2" to "X" for Metal Slug X?

Because X is a rushed hack that should have never existed.